Noob Question: Can a quarry mine through lava?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
No. Quarries will stop completely when they hit lava. You can put a bucket of water at the top of a quarry though and it will turn all the lava it comes across to obsidian which it can deal with.

Silent

Jul 29, 2019
Place a bit of water at the top, it will spread as the quarry goes down and lava will become obsidian and be mined.

Though, I seem to remember that if there was lava on a block, it would ignore the block and move on (though that mostly did end the process).
If there is lava it disables thay column, same as bedrock

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Also, not that noob of a question. It's actually a fairly valid question, especially for someone who has no experience with the things.

A real noob question would be "how do I get wood?'

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
best place for a quarry is in the ocean :) leaves minimal visual impact on the world and lava is not a problem, win win.

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed it deals with oil in the same manner as lava, leaving a column underneath any blocks covered with it.

Darkblock306

Jul 29, 2019
Easiest way to cover a quarry with water is to put one bucket in the corner. It will cover the entire thing as the quarry digs deeper. When you're done, get rid of the single source block and all the rest follows. Easy to cleanup, minimal lag.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
What ICountFrom0 said. Try that on a server, and the admins will be having a word with you, most likely.
we were allowed to for a long time, then the server admins disabled water/lava flowing in the resources world (the only place where quarries were allowed)

DonB

Jul 29, 2019
so, built my first quarry, been watching it, it is down at lv 12 now getting close to finish and it dont seem to be mining the obsidian

thestig_992

Jul 29, 2019
so, built my first quarry, been watching it, it is down at lv 12 now getting close to finish and it dont seem to be mining the obsidian
It should definitely mine the obsidian. As far as I know they will mine every single block except liquid sources and bedrock, and the time it takes depends on how much power they have, not on the toughness of the block.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'd love there to be a quarry upgrade that can send water down to the drill bit to deal with lava. Have water fill an internal tank, this drains as it hits lava. Costs more water (a source block per lava/obsidian) but stops the need for adding water to a quarry.

DonB

Jul 29, 2019
It was weird. It mined some and left some. One layer it left then went back and mined. The next it left and after 4 more passes of not mining it I mined it