Non-FTB world as basis for an FTB world?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cira

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if the subject makes sense, with what I am thinking of doing, so here goes.

I was reading about MC Edit, and I figured out I could import one world into another world.

I want to take the vanilla world my son has built upon and use it as the basis for our Mindcrack world. Looking at the vanilla world in MC edit, I see about 100 chunks that would make up the world.

My question though: If I take a Non FTB world and drop it into Mindcrack, and point the server.properties at it. Will the FTB Extra Biomes XL, Ore, and other stuff auto-populate, or will I need to cut the already built chunks out and plop them into a whole new world

or!!!

If I remove all the pre-rendered sections and have the world recreate them, will they auto-import the FTB items?

//Does this post even make sense?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
//Yes

importing your structures into a new map will work, removing prerendered section will work.

HOWEVER, even if you use the same seed, you'll get a vastly different map, there will be ugly chunk transitions.

Another thing of note is that some mods can insert their ores into pre-generated chunks.

Don't remember which mods minecrack has, but what you can do is import your old world as mystcraft world. Then you could do all your mining in the newly generated overworld.

Cira

Jul 29, 2019
Dang, is there a better way to handle this, or just do it and maybe use Voxel sniper or something to smooth stuff out?

Azurren

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I'm not sure if I fully understand what you want to do but here's what I'd do (And have done several times now)
  1. Create a new world using the FTB pack of your choice
  2. Check the Seed, check the world, make sure you are happy to call it "Home". Some worlds just aren't suitable for importing (i.e. Extreme Hills and Ocean world and trying to import a flat village)
  3. Open your old world in MCEdit, select buildings / structures / anything you want to keep and choose to "Export" it as a Schematic (Save on your PC somewhere)
  4. Open your new FTB world in MCEdit (When I last did this I had to use the DEV version of MC edit to not interfere with the modded blocks. However I think this issue has been fixed in the current build)
  5. Import the individual buildings or the entire village (Much harder to align and make it look natural)
You can easily spend an hour or two lovingly importing, moving, adjusting and rotating buildings. If you spend enough time on it you could import everything into a brand new world without any world-gen issues at all :)
Imho this is the best way of importing the world.. Alternatively you could take your vanilla world, select unbuilt chunks and completely delete them (Allowing Minecraft to re-gen these chunks with new world gen). However I would NOT recommend this as the new bioms can clash on these chunk borders giving you half an ocean, a cut-off will or something really ugly
Hope this is what you were looking for :)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Dang, is there a better way to handle this, or just do it and maybe use Voxel sniper or something to smooth stuff out?

Not sure, you should be able to either install the voxel pack in mindcrack or get worldedit and buckitforge.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Good luck to you. It's awesome that you can play with your son.

If all else fails, building and exploring a new, modded world should be interesting and fun for the both of you

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Shouldn't be a problem. Try a few seeds and pick one that spawns with a similar biome in the place that your son has built in, to make the transitions easier to manage. Using the same seed will generate different biomes due to EBXL.