No Mobs Spawning

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Vampyronium

Jul 29, 2019
I had that problem once on my SSP, back then, when I only had buildcraft and some other non-FTB Mods installed. The only thing that worked for me (I don't quite remember how it goes, sorry) was to delete all files except for the world files? And replace on file as well.
After I did that I lost all of my inventory and started at my spawn point. My world, however, was still intact and the items in stored in chests were still there.
Mods also started spawning again.

Jgomes9

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I just had this problem in my ftb server, i experienced a client server crash, and a while later i noticed that no mobs were spawning, so i googled it and found nothing.
I took matters in my own hands and started trying to figure out the problem. I was able to find that it was a problem with a file in the regions folder, but switching the whole folder would erase all the progress i made on land, kept inventory but nothing else. So i started to switch files one at a time, and started with the biggest one, wich was probably the one were the problem was, I replaced the file with one from a month old backup, logged in, and mobs start to spawn immediately and all my stuff was there, machines, chests, world changes, and also inventory.
So if you have a backup you might want to try that.
Hope i'm not to late, and hope it helps.

ryan autet

Jul 29, 2019
oh ya ??

that doesnt sound so bad lol

right now iv tryed the chunk loader thing
and i tryed just copying the world into a fresh server install that didnt work either =\

Jgomes9

Jul 29, 2019
I tried it all, single player other server, the chunk loader, there was no hostile mob anywhere.
I was getting kind of desperate, but this really worked, if you can, try and see if it works.

Oh and i lost one thing, my waypoints... nothing more... for now

sp4d3zzz

Jul 29, 2019
Dude I've experienced the same with my server. What did the trick for me was resetting all mobsettings (npc etc.) to false. then removed the chunkloaders. From here I restarted the server, but now with everything on true. Tadaa every mobs spawned again, the only loss you have is the breeding farms on your server.

What I think and its mentioned here aswell, its caused by 2 things. Chunkloaders and whisps, cause the first I time encountered this (no mobs spawning) the only thing I could think of was the mobcab. So I started checking around our spawn area if any spawners were active which weren't. Then I loaded up chunkloaders to what was actually loaded and there I stumbled upon serveral quarries and an old quarry hole with 2 active chunkloaders. Why he would have chunkloaders right next to quarries? Beats me though, but the other quarry which I payed a visit was all normal and finished. So I put the quarry in a chest, removed the water and.... no mobs.....

But at the quarry holes with the double chunkloaders, there were a huge amount of whisps and a soon as I started to kill these darn things I saw mobs spawn inside the quarry hole's cave entrances. As I mentioned this was the first time I encountered this problem and I didn't remove the loaders so it came back within 24 to 48 hours. So I removed chunkloaders and until now it has been ok.

What I think is causing the problem is chunkloaders in combination with flux or nodes which causing whisps to spawn, but that's only a guess:rolleyes:

Hope this helps, Sp4d3zzz

kathars1s

Apr 5, 2013
Just wanted to add my 2C since this thread isn't that old.

I had/have the same problem. Nearly a new mindcrack world. No chunkloaders have been made yet, no thaumcraft, no buildcraft stuff. Literally just an IC generator, compressor and 4 turtles. only 1 of which was active and no session persistence.

There's enough built and enough resources harvested that just creating a new world with a new installation would be painful so I don't want to do that.

Restarting the server wouldn't make mobs spawned. Made sure difficulty was on hard. Mobs-spawn=true. Tried setting it to peaceful and back to hard etc.

What finally fixed it was deleting the region1-0 file (the biggest filezize) and letting the game rebuild it. (didn't have a backup, didn't feel like messing for 8 hours trying to get mcmyadmin working and just haven't bothered copy-pasting :/ )

as soon as I logged in, mobs everywhere.

I've yet to see if they will stay spawning. Not sure what would have corrupted that file.

edit~

Seems after it ran all night with noone one, mobs are no longer spawning again. Pretty frustrating since everything is vanilla so I can't blame myself for installing plugins or any other 3rd party stuff.

svenmeys

Jul 29, 2019
Had the same problem for a while. Looked on the forums, none of the fixes worked.

So I started doing my own digging and I came up with the following: Spawn Chunks. (/chunkloaders to visualize)

Apparently there are quite a few chunks around spawn that stay loaded, no matter what. If you have any mob spawners or possibly bad flux in that area, say from Thaumcraft, after a while, whole spawn will be flooded with them, leaving nothing left for mobs to spawn elsewhere.

Removing the spawner fixed the issue for me.
In case of a thaumcraft barrows, you can fill the hole in the floor on the top level with blocks to prevent wisps from spawning as well.

Hope it helps

Desskartess

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I was looking through this thread for a solution to this problem... No mobs spawning
My Twilight still had mobs, and my Nether still had mobs, but not my overworld...
The solution (for me at least) was that I had incredible amounts of flux in a certain area, and approximately 267 wisps (according to entity count) were spawned over this area. It was an ocean biome if that matters. I don't know if you guys are adamant about staying survival, but i solved this by hopping into creative quickly and planting a few silverwood trees to lower the flux (to stop the wisp spawns).

I don't know if you guys play with untrustworthy people, but try to get people to respect flux and not leave on things such as levitators because if a mob gets stuck in one and stays there for hours, it severely effects the flux.

Hope I helped
Happy hunting (for the wisps...)

TheGreatDane926

Jul 29, 2019
I'VE SOLVED IT! You have chunks loaded right?

You don't know where they are at all?

DO: /xu_killmobs : (If command is available)
It deletes mobs on other dimensions as well...
I have had this bug for awhile now. No mobs spawned in the nether because Mobs near my quarry and base which is chunk-loaded don't despawn.

If this solves your problem, your welcome!

~edit

If you have mobs, say Zombie with a Nametag, it depends on you if you want to kill them. Consult other players before doing this as well.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I'VE SOLVED IT! You have chunks loaded right?

You don't know where they are at all?

DO: /xu_killmobs : (If command is available)
It deletes mobs on other dimensions as well...
I have had this bug for awhile now. No mobs spawned in the nether because Mobs near my quarry and base which is chunk-loaded don't despawn.

If this solves your problem, your welcome!

~edit

If you have mobs, say Zombie with a Nametag, it depends on you if you want to kill them. Consult other players before doing this as well.
image.jpg

Reactions: Saice

Taien

Jul 29, 2019
Just adding some feedback since I noticed people are still posting on this...

We were never able to solve the problem (although we didn't try deleting files from the region folder). We ended up making a new world. However, I would like to reiterate the circumstances of the original problem so people understand what was tried and DIDN'T work:
-There were no mobs anywhere, hostile or passive, after a day or so. Not just a lack of new ones spawning, but a lack of all mobs entirely.
-Gamerules and difficulty settings were correct and extensively switched back and forth to try to fix it, which did not help.
-It didn't seem to be the result of a chunkloader, as we smashed all of them to make sure.
-Even using the minimap, it was impossible to find a single mob, underground or above.

The corrupted chunk theory suggested in other posts would seem to be the most plausible solution, but I can't verify as the world has long since been deleted.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
So to sum it up, monsters can remain in loaded chunks, taking away from "slots" that allow new monsters from spawning.

/cofh killall
should remove all monsters and allow them to spawn around you again. But it's only a temporary fix. You would have to annihilate all spawners in chunkloaded areas i suspect. Second important thing was in server.properties, that view-distance needs to be 10. I had it 7 cause it lags less, but i guess sacrifices have to be made.