No Mobs Spawning

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Taien

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue with our FTB server.

We're running the MindCrack pack, and in the last couple of days we've noticed that no mobs (except those from spawners) are appearing in the world, not even at night. We're running difficulty 1 and I checked to make sure doMobSpawning is on, so I'm somewhat baffled by this. It seemed to start once we started using chunk loaders (we only have 2 in the world and they're both set to radius 3). Is there a known issue here or something someone can suggest?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Maybe you're just really unlucky? Try waiting for night again and searching for mobs. I mean, really searching. Searching like you've never searched before.

Taien

Jul 29, 2019
They're definitely not spawning. There are some passive mobs, but I'm not sure if they're spawning or just left over from when the spawns were working. I'm out at night right now and there's nothing hostile. Really confused. Usually they're all over the minimap.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
check your server /gamerule

I belive modspawning or the such might be set to false. This turns off nomral spawns but does not disable spawners which sounds like is happening.

any op can just type /gamerule and then hit tab to cycle throw all the options then just make sure modspawning=ture

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
check your server /gamerule

I belive modspawning or the such might be set to false. This turns off nomral spawns but does not disable spawners which sounds like is happening.

any op can just type /gamerule and then hit tab to cycle throw all the options then just make sure modspawning=ture
He checked that. Says so in the OP.

Check out the areas which are chunkloaded with Voxel Map enabled and the entity radar active. If you have a massive amount of hostiles in there, then you likely have hit the max mobs limit, which prevents other mobs from spawning anywhere.

I also don't know what the difficulty 1 setting actually is, but I assume that is easy. Doubly so if you have mobs spawning from vanilla spawners and people still needing to eat. But if you mean mobs are spawning from Soul Shard Spawners, well, I don't know. If you have a chunk loaded with a T5 Soul Shard spawner in it which isn't receiving a redstone signal, this also could be why nothing is spawning. Well, assuming they're spawning in massive amounts and not being killed.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Did you mess at all with the server's viewdistance setting? Setting it to anything other than 10 can have negative impact on mob spawning, such as you're describing. This is a known bug in vanilla.

Also, if a spawner somewhere spawns mobs into a closed-off area and doesn't kill them, those mobs still count towards the global spawn cap. So for example a vanilla-style XP farm can potentially stop the entire server from spawning mobs until the farmed mobs are killed.

Taien

Jul 29, 2019
I do have a soul shard spawner but it is currently shut off with a switch. Could it be that this type of spawner adds to the mobs limit even when it doesn't actually spawn the mobs? I checked the loaded chunks for hostile mobs and couldn't find any of them, even in caves. I used the map (not sure if it's VoxelMap, whatever is included with FTB) and didn't see any mob faces on there at all. And yes, doMobSpawning is on. I also tried setting the difficulty to 2 or 3, and it didn't affect the problem. :/ I could try breaking the soul shard spawner I suppose.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I like how I check out these threads expecting to help out and save the day, then be like,

"lol i play on peaceful, good luck have fun"

Reactions: Whovian

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
He checked that. Says so in the OP.

Yes but the effect he is decribing suggest that the flag is still set wrong. Or he has en excess of mobs somewhere he can not see.

It is not hard to typo =true to =ture and I belive all the true/flase options default to false if not expressly set to true.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Yes but the effect he is decribing suggest that the flag is still set wrong. Or he has en excess of mobs somewhere he can not see.

It is not hard to typo =true to =ture and I belive all the true/flase options default to false if not expressly set to true.

Was flase intentional?

Reactions: Chocorate

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
See? It's even possible to make false into flase, as shown in Saice's post just now. Did you do that on porpoise?
EDIT: Agh, ninja'd!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Was flase intentional?

I am highly dislix and I do not have spell check at work.

Sorry I do try and make sure things read well before posting but it is hard to do when letters don't want to stay in one place.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019

Sorry I do try and make sure things read well before posting but it is hard to do when letters don't want to stay in one place.
But it does prove a point. Even mistakes can be helpful. I'll be back tomorrow.

Taien

Jul 29, 2019
spawn-monsters=true
view-distance=10

That's not the problem. :( Will try destroying the soul shard spawner next, even though it's usually turned off.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
There is a cap for number of mobs loaded at the same time. If it is reached or exceeded no new mobs will spawn by natural spawning. Spawners can exceed this cap, also breeding, eggs etc (seperate caps for passive, agresive and water mobs).

Reactions: Whovian

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019

Makes me feel like a jerk for noticing the mistake. :'c

Badjr

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue with our FTB server.

We're running the MindCrack pack, and in the last couple of days we've noticed that no mobs (except those from spawners) are appearing in the world, not even at night. We're running difficulty 1 and I checked to make sure doMobSpawning is on, so I'm somewhat baffled by this. It seemed to start once we started using chunk loaders (we only have 2 in the world and they're both set to radius 3). Is there a known issue here or something someone can suggest?

I had this problem on my server as well. It has to do with, at least in my experience, the chicken chunk loaders.
Whenever I destroyed mine and replaced it an hour or so later mobs would start spawning. Mobs would also start spawning if I restarted the server, so you could try that too.

My guess is it has something to do with either chicken chunk loaders, or just chunk loaders in general

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Makes me feel like a jerk for noticing the mistake. :'c

Don't worry about it. I am vary much used to having my spelling errors pointed out to me. Been doing it for decades now.

it only bothers me when my spelling and grammar is used as a source for attacking my argument.