No Mekanism in ModPacks?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
D

Daihok

Why is it people dont use Mekanism in Modpacks? Its by far one of my absolute favorite mods. Sorry just been looking for modpacks with mekanism and trying to find some actual people to play with been playing single player a long time so figured would try and find somwhere to play. But all the good modpacks dont have mekanism so was just curious as to why? I mean i have heard it was a laggy mod but i have never experienced any lag with it really and Im talking large modpacks that i myself have put together with like 150+ mods. If anyone knows any good 1.10.2 modpacks and know of public server please let me know.

Last edited:
D

Daihok

cool thanks i will check that out now? You know of any public servers? Doh its 1.7.10 huh?

D

Daihok

Hmmm dont see it in the pack was just looking i could be wrong though. I noticed All the Mods modpack does have it. Gonna keep looking though. I really dont if know how to find a server to play on truthfully always played single player. Also say i wanted to add optifine to a modpack how would i do that?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Hmmm dont see it in the pack was just looking i could be wrong though. I noticed All the Mods modpack does have it. Gonna keep looking though. I really dont if know how to find a server to play on truthfully always played single player. Also say i wanted to add optifine to a modpack how would i do that?

Just put optifine in mods folder. That's all you have to do

D

Daihok

You was right hermit does have mekanism i was looking on curse site it didnt list it but it does in curse launcher

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism is not available on the Curse repository, so it often gets overlooked by the common man. Also, Mekanism machines tend to do lots of lighting updates, which never helps server performance. In my 1.10 experience, Mekanism didn't seem to play well with other mods - refusing to connect to other mods' machines properly on many cases. This may have been addressed, but my impression was the lead developer went back to school and the project was basically shelved until he had time - maybe I'm wrong.

In the end, I had a ton of fun playing with Mekanism, but my old computer really had to struggle to keep up once I got things built in proper factory format. There's a great mod there, but it needs just a little more finish to take it to greatness. One man's option.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
That's Mekanism's big issue is that it's worked on a lot, and then goes on the shelf for a while.

On the other hand, as an automation option, it works perfectly well if moved out of render distance. If you aren't there for the game to show it, it doesn't bother to render it. I wonder if brightly lighting the area helps the lighting updates.

D

Daihok

Yea i havent really had many issues with mekanism in the packs i have put together for 1.10.2, But yea to each there own i guess, I guess im just a fan i think Mekanism is fantastic and actually only recently learned to do most everything in mekanism not to long ago. Just alot of stuff to offer. I love using extreme reactor with the mekanism turbine simply delicious.

fowltief

Jul 29, 2019
I know some people who find it too op. O love the idea of the hydrogen jetpack and the challenge of getting a tier 4 ore processing system up and running. I have yet to find another mod to match it.
We have always used Mekansim in our private mod pack. It works well with allot of the mods we play with. Several of us support the mod since early days and have the capes. The author had refused to hop on curse train, however. He was considering it at one point for 1.10 and up and we are still waiting to see it. Since most people are using the twitch/curseapp to make a packs these days allot of good mods are getting skipped over if they are not on curse.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hydrogen Jetpack is the best jetpack. Can't be refueled forever, has creative flight, looks awesome and can be armored? Yeah, best jetpack ever.

Reactions: fowltief

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Hydrogen Jetpack is the best jetpack. Can't be refueled forever, has creative flight, looks awesome and can be armored? Yeah, best jetpack ever.

The only downside is that it's obtainable very early in the tech tree. I call this a downside because as much, as I love having flight, having flight trivializes any other form of transportation (trains, minecarts, actual roads). It also trivializes many of the dangers in the game (no more fear of falling into the lava oceans in the Nether). I'm completely for having flight in mods and packs, but I prefer it gated deeper in the tech tree, or at least tiered so that they don't overpower everything else so quickly. Perhaps it's just a matter of taste. I will agree that all other aspects of the Mek jetpack (especially that you make your own, non-RF, fuel for it) are better than most other jetpacks on the market.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The reason I specifically did NOT include Mekanism in my current pack is that it was way too strong, and had super early access to steel, which means it doesn't play well with Immersive Engineering. However, the problem is that in IE, steel is gated behind nether materials, and a decent amount of them, with a relatively slow creation speed. However, Mekanism steel is an intro-tier good and can be produced en masse relatively easily. So unless you remove the Metallurgic Infuser's recipe for steel and gate all of Mekanism's machines behind IE's steel production, the two design philiosophies are largely incompatible.

Plus, 5x ore production is just a bit much, and 3x production almost immediately is just too easy for tripling.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yes, it's available early and yes, early flight does break a lot of things. On the other hand, with twenty minutes work and a lucky world generation IE a witch dropping glowstone, I can have IC2 flight that is limitless unless I'm in the nether. (Solar helmet and basic jetpack). As opposed to something I have to produce fuel for, and land to refuel it, even if it does hold a frankly absurd amount. I'd definitely slice that way down if I were to be balancing a mod pack.

Part of me wants to wave the Rotarycraft flag and point out it can do 5x production, but another part is reminding me it can, but only if you have a LOT of iron already for the steam engines and it's not automatic.

I agree and disagree about the Nether requirement for steel. I like the idea, but then I put iron and coal coke in the blast furnace and then have time to read a fair piece of a book per ingot. I'd personally split the difference and tweak the Metallurgic Infuser recipe to require Blast Bricks in it's recipe. Gotta have the nether for steel, but you're not sitting there waiting on steel in the Blast Furnace. (Admittedly the IE one is much quicker than the Railcraft one.) But once you get enough steel for the Improved Blast furnace, you can start making blocks of steel instead of individual ones. Maybe even tweak the Infuser to require Coal Coke instead of just plain Coal.

Gating behind steel works when done well. Future's Edge seems to have the right balance. Yes, you need a lot of steel, but he didn't shove it so far back as to be unreachable.

D

Daihok

Yea i have yet to try IE out and learn but i did put it in the current pack i put together. Really excited to learn it. I think it gonna fit in world i want to create really well. I really wish MCHeli or flans would update to 1.10.2 would make my modern/futuristic world even better. Dont really know any public servers to play any of these packs so just figure i would stay with the pack i put together.

Reactions: fowltief