new world,new start. suggestions?

V

VanillaYogurt

so after spending alot of time in normal ftb infinity i started a new world on expert. after about a week of playing on expert and living in a small wooden box i decided to build a new base and move into it. i found this massive alps biome and decided to build it here. so far i have 3 circular rooms of the same size and a larger one with water pads for my rice.(i plan on making more farms for all the food since i have spice of life installed) i wanted some ideas as to what to build on top of the mountain, and what kind of rooms i should make. i wanted to do a theme room for everything like thaumcraft, witchery, power, etc. and i have alot of other extra mods i installed as well so im thinking of making a trophy room and a large aquarium room for once i find a nice fish/aquatic mobs mod. i also have alot of other mods that add followers/pets so im going to need rooms for them. and i have that large cliff side off to the right that i want to do something with but cant think of anything. so should i stick with the same style of rooms? i guess im looking for some ideas as to what to build/add to what i have now. sorry if im not being clear with what im asking. i built this so far and im kinda stumped and dont know were to go from here. also thoughts on what i have so far?

i added a screenshot of the map to give you an idea of how big it is. 2015-12-31_13.38.40.png 2015-12-31_13.39.01.png 2015-12-31_13.39.16.png 2015-12-31_14.09.15.png

Skvapter

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta agree, helipad for a mountain base sounds like the right idea.
I'm not great for the top of the mountain but maybe you could bring some of your internal base that's inside the mountain to the outside? I doubt I'm giving good imagery to as what I mean. I've seen @rhn do it, and this is probably my second time referencing him in a suggestion for someone. (Sorry man, you're just a really creative builder.) Basically what he had previously done was build in a fairly raised up biome, and created a base inside a tall hill, instead of concealing it all to the inside he added these sort of... tunnels, that went from the inside to the outside and then back inside, kinda. Imagine a hamster's tube if you will, but on the side of a hill in minecraft. Oh goodness what is this explanation.

I'd provide an image, but those image's are his property, no right to touch them, but I can link you to his vastly watched forum, I pick up tricks on how to make my base look better there a lot.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...s-a-build-journal-guide-collection-etc.42664/

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'd provide an image, but those image's are his property, no right to touch them, but I can link you to his vastly watched forum, I pick up tricks on how to make my base look better there a lot.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...s-a-build-journal-guide-collection-etc.42664/
I think this is what you had in mind:
rXgE3eu.png

929d2ki.png
And I don't mind if you repost the pics to make a point etc. It would ofc be nice if information about where they came from accompanies them.

As for the OPs build, I would suggest avoiding symmetry and going more for structures that follow the cliffs better.
You could easily have diffirent "discs", or other kinds of habitats, dotted around the place a bit further from the others and then connect them with tunnels through the mountains.
Maybe a little less glass and make it more "bunker" like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skvapter
V

VanillaYogurt

As for the OPs build, I would suggest avoiding symmetry and going more for structures that follow the cliffs better.
You could easily have diffirent "discs", or other kinds of habitats, dotted around the place a bit further from the others and then connect them with tunnels through the mountains.
Maybe a little less glass and make it more "bunker" like.
what do you mean by making it more "bunker" like? because when i think of a "bunker" all i can think of is a hole in the ground with a metal door on it. but i do plan on expanding all throughout the mountain. its rather "thick" so i have space.

one problem i ran into tho is i have a room in the mountain that the center top discs(towards the back) connects to but at a lower elevation, i have stairs the connect to it but i cant seem to make it flow together nicely. it just seems so out of place. is that because i have all these round rooms and its a box? once i start adding more rooms it will get better right? lol

thank you all for your ideas, i cant wait for that part to get here so i can fix my pc and start playing my world again.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
what do you mean by making it more "bunker" like? because when i think of a "bunker" all i can think of is a hole in the ground with a metal door on it. but i do plan on expanding all throughout the mountain. its rather "thick" so i have space.

one problem i ran into tho is i have a room in the mountain that the center top discs(towards the back) connects to but at a lower elevation, i have stairs the connect to it but i cant seem to make it flow together nicely. it just seems so out of place. is that because i have all these round rooms and its a box? once i start adding more rooms it will get better right? lol

thank you all for your ideas, i cant wait for that part to get here so i can fix my pc and start playing my world again.
Bunkers are highly fortified, lots of heavy metallic and concrete stuff. Maybe some defenses outside. The doors are thick, wide and tall.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
what do you mean by making it more "bunker" like? because when i think of a "bunker" all i can think of is a hole in the ground with a metal door on it.
More reinforced and shielded. From both enemies and the cold. Smaller windows is a good start. Something does not seem right(to me at least) with having so many windows in a arctic climate ;)