New to developing modpacks.

Irontroll

Jan 15, 2022
I've never made an expert modpack before, but I really enjoy playing them. I am wondering how I should go about doing this. Help is appreciated!

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Asking for help/advice is the first good step- expert packs are a LOT of work (I made this pack over the ENTIRE 1.12 era and didn't finish it!)

Do you have a solid idea of which mods you want to showcase and what route to take through the tech tree? Get a pen and paper and note down all your ideas and concept as you go.

You'll want to recruit people from the FTB community to help play-test and guide your development- the FTB reddit subforum can be pretty good too.
Hopefully you can find a few people to help build the pack as well as test it, since going it alone is a crazy amount of work- but you'll likely struggle to find anyone until you've got the project rolling (get an alpha up on CurseForge, set a github page for it).

Most of the custom recipes and loot tables (block drops/mob drops/dungeon loot etc) are done through the DataPack system, and I think now KubeJS the the tool to use for adding custom blocks/items?? if you don't want to make an entire new mod for those.
As far as I know CraftTweaker still exists, although its not as widely supported as it used to be.

The other route is to join an existing dev team and help build their project for a while- it'll give you an idea of 'pack dev life' on a ball thats already rolling.

Irontroll

Jan 15, 2022
Thanks! I think trying to join some kind of team would be beneficial. That way I can learn and get some experience. Any advice on where to start looking?
]