New PC gamer

Mahdniss

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, strangers. I have recently migrated from consoles to PC and am completely new to the whole environment. I have already downloaded some mods and servers just to see if I could in anticipation of a new gaming rig I have been building for a while, which I hope to have completed by next month. It came as a surprise to me when I found out my old laptop could handle Minecraft, and even FTB Lite (the one with the broken server) - which I was introduced via YouTube. However, it's all completely new and strange to me, and while I could zombify myself and watch a plethora of YouTube tutorials (which I've already done, actually) I'd like to jump right in and start learning! Any advice would be splendid.

Notes:
-First forum post ~EVER~
-Interested in YouTube video production

Teach me your ways, good PCitizens!

TrJace

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome! If you played vanilla on consoles jump into a pack! I started with Direwolf20 about 2 months ago and have watched his let's play to learn the basics. Go mining while you watch a few episodes on your third monitor (use your second monitor for journey maps! ) and you will be on your way.

Mahdniss

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you! I have two monitors: The built-in monitor of my laptop and an exterior one to account for the fact that every now and then I get white screen due to my laptop being sinfully worked in.

SGTkuzey

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to the PC master race! (I'm kidding lol, we all are gamers, we all should respect each other) Anyways... First advice I'd give would be to either play 1.6.4 mod packs or earlier versions, otherwise you'll have a lot of problems with IC 2 and mods that had huge updates. If you want to have a quick head start and like video presentations Direwolf20's mod spotlights, also might want to check his single player series for tips and tricks. Oh, and one last advice, do NOT start Magic Farm 2/Magic Farm yet... Believe me it's going to be hard. Anyways, hope it helped and good luck with that gaming rig, would be appreciated if you post the parts and the specs of it. :D

Lordtazou

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome new-comer of PC Gaming. I would not mind looking at the build you are putting together as well.

Mahdniss

Jul 29, 2019
It is finished! The build, I mean. I'm using an outdated PNY Verto 512mb GPU at the current time, until my R9 270X ships (1- 3 months special order - lower cost). It works, but on Ubuntu 13.10 it crashes from time to time. I don't mind, however, as I am learning the ropes, so to speak.

My specs are as follows:
* AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3 GHz Socket AM3+ 6 core Processor
* G.Skill Ripjaws X series (2 X 8) 16 GB Ram
* 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
* The beautiful Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition Full Tower case
*Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W ATX SLI and Crossfire certified 80 plus PSU (Overkill, but epic sale price)
*Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ Motherboard
*(Soon-to-be-added) MSI R9 270X Gaming 4GB

It's been a long time coming and I am super excited to delve in!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk