New laptop?

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I like lenovos because the are the new IBM (they actually bought the company)..... And I can use them as frisbees and 20 minutes later use it again just fine :p

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
So saw this one from the one you linked

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z50/

I like everything about it except for the 4gb. Can I expand to 6 (want atleast 6, 4 wasn't enough when I used the t61)? I wonder if I can find one when I am finally paid (late October/early November) for the same price...

I hope you mean the bottom one. The top one has one of the lowest line processors you can get, the Celeron.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Ah yes that one. It doesn't say you can up the amount of RAM. However, I can share some knowledge with you.
Since it has an i7, it is most likely 64 bit, so you CAN use 64 bit java and make the most use of your RAM. Also, if Java can't use the RAM it's dedicated, it will use "swap" or page files from the hard drive. So if you throw in the SSD, that'll help a lot as well.

Reactions: pc_assassin

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you may have to save up a bit more money to get your dream laptop. In the meantime, you can grab that laptop you were thinking about buying in the first place. It should serve you fine until you can get something in the z series .

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you may have to save up a bit more money to get your dream laptop. In the meantime, you can grab that laptop you were thinking about buying in the first place. It should serve you fine until you can get something in the z series .

Yah I would probably do that except this is my only big purchase before I am needing a new car (maybe last 2-3 more years) and then collage in 2 years it when I actually decided to finish school (homeschooled so I can do that :p). Ah well I may just have to settle for the one I originally planned for

Reactions: Qazplm601

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
OK just an update I'm getting this on Sunday.

The processor isnt the best I still would have liked at least a newer gen i5 but even this processer is about double the speed of the one I have. So now atleast I can do 1.8

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Not the biggest fan of lenovos myself, the battery and charger had to be replaced 3 and 2 times respectively but if you haven't had the same issue then go for it. :D

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Never had a issue with a lenovo that's another reason why I like them. I had an HP once but about 3 months in the battery fried and I had to keep it plugged in all the time

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Not 100% sure what that means... I dont claim to know alot about computers cause i dont. But I already saw that and I just kinda brushed off the processor as not as good as an i5 but still better than an i3.

Also just logging on to it for the first time and I am feeling a definite improvement in it from my last one.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Not 100% sure what that means... I dont claim to know alot about computers cause i dont. But I already saw that and I just kinda brushed off the processor as not as good as an i5 but still better than an i3.

Also just logging on to it for the first time and I am feeling a definite improvement in it from my last one.
here is a chart where you can see all kinds of different stats between your processor and an example one (from 2010), higher cpu mark and single thread scores are better. Yours better at multithreaded applications, yes, but... meh. if you're happy with it, that's all that you can ask for really.

The reason you're feeling an improvement is because it's brand new without a cluttered registry. give it some time and it will show it's weaknesses.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
careful deletion of unneeded entries. I wouldn't advise it unless you know what you're doing.

with each program that is installed a registry entry is created, and when you uninstall a program sometimes junk is left behind. That causes slowdowns. I hate to say it, but the speed you're seeing now won't last, even with a clean registry, because with each entry is more time to process it.

I'm half drunk and can't explain as well as I should. aplogies :/ maybe wagon or mephsomething can interject

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
careful deletion of unneeded entries. I wouldn't advise it unless you know what you're doing.

with each program that is installed a registry entry is created, and when you uninstall a program sometimes junk is left behind. That causes slowdowns. I hate to say it, but the speed you're seeing now won't last, even with a clean registry, because with each entry is more time to process it.

I'm half drunk and can't explain as well as I should. aplogies :/ maybe wagon or mephsomething can interject
I shall explain. Sorry I'm late!
Alright, what midi_sec pointed out is important. That single thread rating? Worse then a 5-6 year old Pentium D 950. And most modern i3s are actually really powerful. Many gamers use i3s in their builds due to their sheer single thread performance(which Minecraft loves!). Also, besides the registries, another reason why you are enjoying decent performance is the 4 cores of your processor. Each core allows the system to split work between them. It's why AMD FX series processors can beat high end Intel cpus in some benchmarks, their sheer amount of cores(FX-8350 has 8, FX-6300 has 6). But minecraft can't use more then one thread(not including small side code and Java garbage collection.) I'll give you an example of how it'll perform. My pentium d 950(Now replaced with an athlon x4 860k) got about 15-20 FPS in a mid-game base in TPPI. It has double the single thread rating of that thing's processor. And that's with a dedicated graphics card taking work off the CPU. :/

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I shall explain. Sorry I'm late!
Alright, what midi_sec pointed out is important. That single thread rating? Worse then a 5-6 year old Pentium D 950. And most modern i3s are actually really powerful. Many gamers use i3s in their builds due to their sheer single thread performance(which Minecraft loves!). Also, besides the registries, another reason why you are enjoying decent performance is the 4 cores of your processor. Each core allows the system to split work between them. It's why AMD FX series processors can beat high end Intel cpus in some benchmarks, their sheer amount of cores(FX-8350 has 8, FX-6300 has 6). But minecraft can't use more then one thread(not including small side code and Java garbage collection.) I'll give you an example of how it'll perform. My pentium d 950(Now replaced with an athlon x4 860k) got about 15-20 FPS in a mid-game base in TPPI. It has double the single thread rating of that thing's processor. And that's with a dedicated graphics card taking work off the CPU. :/

Long time!

Anyway I see what you are saying about it having a low rating. There isn't much I can do about it though. Probably during collage sometime I will upgrade to a desktop but for now I'm stuck with this. As for performance I play with optifine its a tool I never leave home without, and I have learned to configure it quite well, but with my old laptop I got anywhere of on 18-35 in the pack I play I am now getting 60(ish). Plus I can finally do 1.7 and .8 so I'm pretty happy with it, for now at least.

So my question is how do I keep it running that fast? Because since getting it I have been getting into steam more and right now I'm playing ACII, but I keep playing other games too. So what midi was saying about the processor slowing down how do I keep that from happening and/or fix it when it does.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Long time!

Anyway I see what you are saying about it having a low rating. There isn't much I can do about it though. Probably during collage sometime I will upgrade to a desktop but for now I'm stuck with this. As for performance I play with optifine its a tool I never leave home without, and I have learned to configure it quite well, but with my old laptop I got anywhere of on 18-35 in the pack I play I am now getting 60(ish). Plus I can finally do 1.7 and .8 so I'm pretty happy with it, for now at least.

So my question is how do I keep it running that fast? Because since getting it I have been getting into steam more and right now I'm playing ACII, but I keep playing other games too. So what midi was saying about the processor slowing down how do I keep that from happening and/or fix it when it does.
I've heard mixed reports of ccleaner being able to do it, but be careful with it. Windows depends on those registries. Delete the wrong registry and you are screwed. As for keeping performance, I'd recommend a linux distro(Ubuntu is very user friendly). And I can assist with any issues you may encounter with it.

Reactions: pc_assassin