New 1000 Slot Direwolf20 Server looking for Staff!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

leetmindz

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Guys/Girls!

Tyler here, I'd like to start off by thanking you for taking the time to view this thread!

Okay so, here's the gist of it; I'm a 27 year old web-designer/developer living in Silicon Valley, California. I recently purchased a dedicated server with 1000 slots (Tons of ram, SSD's, and top notch processors). I've installed FTB Direwolf20 v1.0.12 (the newest) and a few essential plugins ( MCPC+, essentials, worldguard, worldedit, core protect, TekkitRestrict(not configured), GriefPrevention, ect ect) But I need someone that actually knows what they're doing to help me. I've setup spawn and protected it with Griefprevention and Worldguard but it seems the protection can still be bypassed by numerous items, and i'm sure it has something to do with the plugins i chose.

My plans for the server are massive, I'm going to custom develop a website/logo for us with a custom-made CMS (ETA Unknown, developing as time permits for now the domain I purchased is pointed to our custom Enjin website which i've setup on an "Advanced" plan to give us as much control as possible until I have the time to develop). I've already purchased the domain (meccacraft.org), i've also purchased an Unlimited-Slot Teamspeak server. I've created subdomains for the "address to use for playing" (play.meccacraft.org), and for Teamspeak (ts.meccacraft.org) both of which work fabulously.

I came to the FTB forums today to look for staff because I simply don't know enough about running a Modded MC server to set everything up correctly plugin wise. There are huge holes in our protections and I don't feel safe un-whitelisting the server until these issues are addressed by someone with the knowledge to do so. If this is you PLEASE get in contact with me, I'll offer you an admin position with any commands/options you want. You'll also have 50% creative control over the server. I'll take any ideas you have as the way things should be and your position will be highly respected. I feel like i've probably installed the wrong plugins for a FTB server so we'll more than likely have to redo them based on your input because I just don't have enough FTB/Modded Server experience to do things the way they should be done.

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer and I hope to hear from you soon!

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
1000 slots ? are you planning to run it on google servers ? minecraft is single trade ( excluding mods that have multi thread option ) and unless you have like a 130 Ghz processor, i don;t see you even getting close to 1000 people on a server

i recommend mytown for protection. give it a try ( read the instruction twice, you have some settings to do to get it to work with mcpc, you may pm me if you don't figure it out, i can help allot but i don't plan to admin it as i already have things that eat all my time )

Last edited:

xSeaBiscuit

Jul 29, 2019
Dang, lots of money spent into this. Now i'm not really interested in playing or being a staff member or such because I really only play w/ two other people on my own server. Although I have some pointers from when I made various public servers times ago.

First think of what is your server going to be, now this is important if you decide to not branch out later. Do you want a raiding, pillaging and fighting server than do a Factions server, if you want a semi fighting server where pvp is on make it hardcore. Not the hardcore where when you die you get banned but where its dangerous to not make a home and armor. Lastly a very safe environment where you don't have PvP on and its safe to build next to spawn.

Once you picked what you want your server to be about then decide on plugins.

You need to fix your protection, Grief Prevention works very well when you get the hang of it. You were saying mod items bypassed you protection? That's because Vanilla Grief Prevention only stops vanilla items, the user darkdeath1332 made an awesome file to fix this called BedCraftGP, if you can get the hang of ID's you can turn this into a very nice, custom fix. You will also need to configure the original GriefPrevention config, which will take you a long time I once spent 5 hours doing this but was well worth it.

I am guessing you are planning to make an economy. Decide on a plugin if you don't decide to make a custom one, many can be found on the bukkit forums under the category Economy. Once you found one, its about to get though, trying to set prices on a modded server where you can create diamonds w/ cobble... You'r going to need to scout servers what there prices are, Dynamic economies are very helpful as they change prices based on supply and demand which is good on a modded server.

Permissions are a must or your going to have people running around with god mode, bPermissions is my personal favorite, though very confusing and tedious at first its very customizable and powerful. I once used PEX which is very easy in comparison, but is highly unstable and changes alot of base files which is bad.

You need to get a logging plugin I like logblock but prism is gettting popular, again you will have to add ID's to the config. A logging plugin lets you do small rollbacks and also allow you to check who did what.

Always backup your world, get a backup plugin like these as this can save you from a random corruption of the map or a huge griefing accident that didn't get blocked. Use them carefully as many players don't like there stuff rolled back.

You should not start a donation service until you have a big player count, but once you get one there is many plugins that can be used for this like BuyCraft which many players trust.

A good staff is a must for most people joining a server, if your abusive or you get an abusive admin you can say bye to donations or even a nice sized player count.

Your word is key, always warn people in advance if your resetting the map or any big event. I cant tell you enough how many people reset the map randomly and the whole player count is mad.

FTB usually updates there packs on mondays. Make sure you use recommended packs unless you know the test updates are not world breaking.

This is your server and its up to you I also will try to get some good running a server help links but I need to go get some stuff done will edit this later!

leetmindz

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks so much for your recommendations guys they'll be tons of help!

@HaoSs First, I'm sure with FTB being as ram intensive as it is, The server won't actually HOLD 1000 people, but I'd happily purchase more power if the growing user-base required it. I feel like @ 1000 slots we should be able to get around 100 users online at any given time without many issues IF it's setup correctly. (which seems like it would be more than enough after checking out the more popular servers for Direwolf20 on ftbservers.com it seems most of them average less than 100 users online at 1 time.) Just a ball-park figure but i feel like it's a good starting point. Second, Would mytown be better than using something such as Towny or Residence in your opinion/based on your experience?

@xSeaBiscuit You sir, are amazing. Thank you for putting so much detail into your response, It was very informative; I do have a few questions though if you don't mind.

As far as BedcraftGP is concerned, would it be best for me to use the version for Unleashed or the version for Ultimate considering we're on Direwolf20 1.6.4? As far as the economy and permissions go I planned on using Essentials for its economy functions, and Essentials Group Manager for the permissions/ranks ect, would you recommend against that? Is there something else you'd recommend? For Logging I installed CoreProtect but i've been seeing a lot about Prism lately so I think i'll give that a shot.

Lastly, for the overall game-type I think i'll go with something Semi-PVP & in Hardcore mode. (no ban on death, just harder mobs ect ect) I'd like the server to be challenging yet addicting, and dangerous yet safe if properly protected. (If that makes any sense lol) I actually attempted to install Factions because it was used on one of my favorite servers from my Tekkit days but unfortunately as far as I can tell, It doesn't work. I couldn't get it to generate the configs no-matter which version of it I ran. (I tried a few) :(

And again, Thanks a ton for your guidance! Money can't buy experience so your advice is greatly appreciated! :)

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
You will bottleneck the CPU before you run out of ram :) trust me ( unless there is a bug and memory leaks )so you can,t trow money on more power, it wont work, if you have a nasa like cpu, you can run 3 100 slots servers but lag like hell on 1 150 slot server. ( the GHZ of a single core is more important then the number of cores, or ram )

towny/residence are bukkit plugins, they do stop some mods, but they have no 100% mods support , i even tried talking with precious stones dev back when tekkit was at power. he did some options for mods, but still not managed to make it 100% mod friendly (now it can't stop sh*t :D ) . BedcraftGP is a bukkit protection that stop mods by using ID-s , thats why it takes 5 hours to set up, u have to put all your id's , and its only 95% efficient,some mods change id's when you put them on map,and not all mods have a fakeplayer config,most bukkit protection uses mcpc fake player metode to stop mods like buildcraft an computerctaft turtles,a version set for unleashed wil not fully work with direwolf. FTB does use a global config, but you will find mods in direwolf that are not in unleashed,you will have to start from 0, or check every id.

mytown was ported and designed to work with mods :) it hooks directly into the classes for the different items and stops them that way, if you find a item that bypasses, report to legobear and he will update the mod, is much harder to stop a item in mytown, as you have to contact the dev ,not just put an ID. but so far with my testes using Monster and mytown, i did not find any item that bypassed it :) and it took 1 minute to set up. also you have towns, mayors , town chat for them to talk only in town, witch is pure AWSOME.

Last edited:

leetmindz

Jul 29, 2019
sorry, but 1000 slots? can i see it?

Sure if you want, but it's whitelisted at the moment because setting up plugins is not nearly as simple as it sounds lol

play.meccacraft.org[DOUBLEPOST=1390045653][/DOUBLEPOST]
You will bottleneck the CPU before you run out of ram :) trust me ( unless there is a bug and memory leaks )so you can,t trow money on more power, it wont work, if you have a nasa like cpu, you can run 3 100 slots servers but lag like hell on 1 150 slot server. ( the GHZ of a single core is more important then the number of cores, or ram )

towny/residence are bukkit plugins, they do stop some mods, but they have no 100% mods support , i even tried talking with precious stones dev back when tekkit was at power. he did some options for mods, but still not managed to make it 100% mod friendly (now it can't stop sh*t :D ) . BedcraftGP is a bukkit protection that stop mods by using ID-s , thats why it takes 5 hours to set up, u have to put all your id's , and its only 95% efficient,some mods change id's when you put them on map,and not all mods have a fakeplayer config,most bukkit protection uses mcpc fake player metode to stop mods like buildcraft an computerctaft turtles,a version set for unleashed wil not fully work with direwolf. FTB does use a global config, but you will find mods in direwolf that are not in unleashed,you will have to start from 0, or check every id.

mytown was ported and designed to work with mods :) it hooks directly into the classes for the different items and stops them that way, if you find a item that bypasses, report to legobear and he will update the mod, is much harder to stop a item in mytown, as you have to contact the dev ,not just put an ID. but so far with my testes using Monster and mytown, i did not find any item that bypassed it :) and it took 1 minute to set up. also you have towns, mayors , town chat for them to talk only in town, witch is pure AWSOME.

Thanks, i'll give mytown a shot and see how it goes you've won me over :) lol[DOUBLEPOST=1390045737][/DOUBLEPOST]
sorry, but 1000 slots? can i see it?

Just let me know if you want whitelisted or anything :), spawns setup but nothings protected atm :/

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
you can do the spawn using mytown. Force make a town using OP to a user name that does not exist ( like ServerSpawn ), then ban the user.:)

leetmindz

Jul 29, 2019

Currently downloading BedcraftGP for Unleashed, any idea if it's best to use the unleashed version for Direwolf20? I know i'll have to add item id's to the config either way but i'm curious about whether or not both would be compatible with 1.6.4, or only the unleashed version.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, i never put bedcraftGP on my server as i was not happy with the way it stopped items, id setups allover again , and the way it set up protection. mytown uses the map chunks . you want protection > claim a chunk :). you want to extend ? claim another chunk next to it

P.S. whitelist me :D HaoSs07

P.P.S. i also found is better for lag in the long run to have setups from same mods compact in one chunk then have them split over more chunks,

leetmindz

Jul 29, 2019
@HaoSs Whitelisted, also; What did you mean by this:

P.P.S. i also found is better for lag in the long run to have setups from same mods compact in one chunk then have them split over more chunks

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
when minecraft does the ticks , it does it / chunk, take applied energistics for example ,a huge autocraft machine with allot of machines from other mods connected to it will tick better if its all in a chunk then if its spited over 5 chunks. You only see a difference on a old maps, when the TPS is not always 20. and its minimal,tick may run 3-5 ms faster in that chunk if the whole setup is in it. i always build my setups down, not sideways. you see TPS drop when the tick / chunk takes longer then 50 ms if i remember right,
A slow ticking chunk will also influence the whole setup. and if its spread, thing tend to slow down in other chunks to.( take longer to tick )

P.S. opis will help you here :)

you have 1.0.12. usually you go with recommended, found out that average minecraft player IQ is not enough to change the client version to server version. i may be wrong, just my opinion :D

Last edited:

xSeaBiscuit

Jul 29, 2019
BdCraft should work for any pack, as long as you put the right ID's in the right areas. As long as you haven't changed any of the original DW20 ID's, I created a dump of all them and pasted them to PasteBin. I can create you really good config for Grief Prevention and BDcraft if your struggling, when I get time. Using that you can add them to you config and start protecting areas from those items/blocks. You might need to ban/remove Ars Magica because I don't know how to protect against that.

Your gamemode idea is my favorite, its the game mode Iv'e run every one of my servers on that idea. It makes it hard but fun.

Your essentials economy is fine, it comes pre-equiped with a sign shop. If you ever wanted a different store, GUI, chest store, etc... Most store plugins are compatible with essentialsEco and will work fine. Your permissions Iv'e never tried so I can't help you with it but it should work okay.
Core Protect is great it worked fine for me but sometimes it wouldn't log things. If you use prism you are going to need a MySQL server which if you contact your host, they should be able to get you.

Hopefully your host gave you a couple CPU's which your going to need to not bottleneck your server, right now minecraft doesn't support multicore CPU's but a tool I used when I hosted servers was, TickThreading. At the moment its broken but being fixed and it worked super well.

I know im missing a few more things. If you got anymore questions ask away!

leetmindz

Jul 29, 2019
BdCraft should work for any pack, as long as you put the right ID's in the right areas. As long as you haven't changed any of the original DW20 ID's, I created a dump of all them and pasted them to PasteBin. I can create you really good config for Grief Prevention and BDcraft if your struggling, when I get time. Using that you can add them to you config and start protecting areas from those items/blocks. You might need to ban/remove Ars Magica because I don't know how to protect against that.

Your gamemode idea is my favorite, its the game mode Iv'e run every one of my servers on that idea. It makes it hard but fun.

Your essentials economy is fine, it comes pre-equiped with a sign shop. If you ever wanted a different store, GUI, chest store, etc... Most store plugins are compatible with essentialsEco and will work fine. Your permissions Iv'e never tried so I can't help you with it but it should work okay.
Core Protect is great it worked fine for me but sometimes it wouldn't log things. If you use prism you are going to need a MySQL server which if you contact your host, they should be able to get you.

Hopefully your host gave you a couple CPU's which your going to need to not bottleneck your server, right now minecraft doesn't support multicore CPU's but a tool I used when I hosted servers was, TickThreading. At the moment its broken but being fixed and it worked super well.

I know im missing a few more things. If you got anymore questions ask away!

Yes I'd love it if you could setup a proper config for GP/BedcraftGP for me, Ive been making one but because my knowledge of Direwolf20 items is limited i'm not sure what all items have destructive properties/need protected. (Thanks for this in advance, that in its-self will be enormously helpful.) As far as permissions go, I've used group-manager in the past for an older Tekkit server of mine so i'm pretty fluent with it, but it seems most people are going with PEX (PermissionsEX) these days and i'm not sure why, I'm sure theres some sort of logic behind it so maybe you could fill me in?

Also, I've been keeping an eye on the tickthreading forum waiting for the version for 1.6.4 to be re-posted/fixed but its been a few days now and still nothing (probably coming soon... hopefully) It does seem very useful.

lastly, I'd hate to completely ban Ars Magica but I will if I must, it's a very popular mod and I feel like I'd see a lot of negative feedback if I completely removed it. I'll look into how to protect against it maybe I can find a way. Are most servers banning it these days? If it's common for it to be banned I wouldn't see it being much of a problem to ban. I Just don't want to take something away from potential future users that they're used to using on other servers unless I absolutely have to.

Again, Thank you for all your help! It's been very enlightening and I truly appreciate it!

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
when you are done go try mytown and see it protects against Ars Magica o_O :rolleyes:

usually you have problems in any protection with items that place other items :)

tickthreading for 1.6.4 don't think will get out pass alpha state, don't plan your server around it. i have seen nallar deving TT in the past, and this is not it :p ( back in the day he was fixing bugs in minutes, had a problem ? github it, come back 2 min to see if replay, fix already done :) new build up. he was fixing 10-30 bugs a day )

leetmindz

Jul 29, 2019
when you are done go try mytown and see it protects against Ars Magica o_O :rolleyes:

usually you have problems in any protection with items that place other items :)

tickthreading for 1.6.4 don't think will get out pass alpha state, don't plan your server around it. i have seen nallar deving TT in the past, and this is not it :p ( back in the day he was fixing bugs in minutes, had a problem ? github it, come back 2 min to see if replay, fix already done :) new build up. he was fixing 10-30 bugs a day )

Installing MyTown is an epic fail for me, I just attempted it twice (once with forgeperms, the other time with the version of forgeperms that doesnt require pex.) neither worked, console errors ect ect and no configs generated for any of the files :/

Any ideas?[DOUBLEPOST=1390155384][/DOUBLEPOST]

19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.loadPlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:183)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:270)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sperion/forgeperms/api/IPermissionManager
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at net.minecraft.server.ThreadMinecraftServer.run(ThreadMinecraftServer.java:16)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:634)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71197_b(DedicatedServer.java:222)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.handleServerAboutToStart(FMLCommonHandler.java:309)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.serverAboutToStart(Loader.java:817)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:112)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoaderState.getEvent(LoaderState.java:84)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLServerAboutToStartEvent.<init>(FMLServerAboutToStartEvent.java:29)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_6_R3.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:230)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugins(SimplePluginManager.java:231)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:307)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.loadPlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:194)
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] INFO org.bukkit.plugin.InvalidPluginException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sperion/forgeperms/api/IPermissionManager
19.01 21:01:07 [Server] SEVERE Could not load 'plugins/ForgePermsCBBridge-1.1.15.jar' in folder 'plugins'

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
you are probably missing something
you need:
in plugins folder : vault + ForgePermsCBBridge 1.1.15 + permision plugin
in mods folder : MyTownLib 1.0 + MyTown 1.6.1.16 + Forgeperms WithoutPEX 1.6.1.6

Then edit your bukkit.yml and add at the end
Code:
aliases:
  t: bt
  sethome: btsethome
  gm: btgm
  homes: bthomes
  home: bthome
  delhome: btdelhome
  spawn: btspawn

this will let mytown overwrite plugins commands ( /t and /ta are important as it used to make towns, if you don't put them you have to always type /mytown command )

you can also use the Example Perm File for MyTown for a fast perm setup in pex