Network Server vs Local Server

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Xilica

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've been playing the Monster pack on my school laptop the last couple of days and it's starting to really crap out with all the infrastructure I'm putting up. (Mostly a ludicrously fast mfr 3x3 treefarm and a dozen or so cows squeezed into a 3x3x3 hole to generate sewage) I can't play on my tower because I don't have access to it from my room. (Strict Asian family) Anyways, I can use the tower to host a server on my local network and access the world from there on my laptop. I would imagine this would reduce the stress on my laptop because it only renders whereas the server does the hefty processing.

Would I be wrong to assume this?

Edit: Just realized I left the render distance on Far. Whoops. I usually play on Tiny/short to keep the fps up. Oh well, it's still crapping out, so my question still stands.

Also to clarify: Network Server vs Local Server refers to using a local machine on the network to host the server versus using the local client server that a Single Player world acts as to host on the laptop for itself.

Last edited:

karl2002

Jul 29, 2019
In theory it could help quite abit by hosting it on the tower machine but then the specs of that machine also matters, some specs of that machine would be great then we may be able to help you out further.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm.

Doesn't your computer still have to process everything, aside from loading the world? From my experience I do get substantially better performance SSP, than on SMP.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm.

Doesn't your computer still have to process everything, aside from loading the world? From my experience I do get substantially better performance SSP, than on SMP.
In the case of a server, the server handles all the grunt work. Client only handles rendering.

Xilica

Jul 29, 2019
In theory it could help quite abit by hosting it on the tower machine but then the specs of that machine also matters, some specs of that machine would be great then we may be able to help you out further.
The tower will handle anything I throw at it, I would think. It's running with an AMD FX 8 core processor (though I think minecraft only uses two threads) at 4.0 each core. It has 8gbs of DDR3 1333 Ram as well. It has a SATA6 120Gb SSD (though I'll probably put the world on the SATA3 spinner drive, don't want to put too much read/writes on the ssd, unless it don't hurt). I can't imagine it would matter but the tower is running a GTX650 nVidia card.

It's a workhorse machine, so it should run anything I throw at it and then some. I'm just curious whether or not it'll help the laptop, which is extremely powerful in its own right already.

My network is pretty robust as well. I just set it up with enterprise level routing and switching gear because I'm majoring in Information Systems (yes I'm in college and my parents still control my life, welcome to Asians). I'm sure it'll be able to provide more than enough speed to play on the server laglessly.

Hmm.

I really don't think so. I was a mod on a server a long time ago with world edit and the server would lock up under a heavy edit where my computer would be running more than fine. I think world data is passed along to render and that's it.

In the case of a server, the server handles all the grunt work. Client only handles rendering.
That's one yes, hope for more confirming answers. :D

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The tower will handle anything I throw at it, I would think. It's running with an AMD FX 8 core processor (though I think minecraft only uses two threads) at 4.0 each core. It has 8gbs of DDR3 1333 Ram as well. It has a SATA6 120Gb SSD (though I'll probably put the world on the SATA3 spinner drive, don't want to put too much read/writes on the ssd, unless it don't hurt). I can't imagine it would matter but the tower is running a GTX650 nVidia card.

It's a workhorse machine, so it should run anything I throw at it and then some. I'm just curious whether or not it'll help the laptop, which is extremely powerful in its own right already.

My network is pretty robust as well. I just set it up with enterprise level routing and switching gear because I'm majoring in Information Systems (yes I'm in college and my parents still control my life, welcome to Asians). I'm sure it'll be able to provide more than enough speed to play on the server laglessly.

I really don't think so. I was a mod on a server a long time ago with world edit and the server would lock up under a heavy edit where my computer would be running more than fine. I think world data is passed along to render and that's it.

That's one yes, hope for more confirming answers. :D
Ah the good old FX-8320. That sucker is more powerful then the Xeon I run my DW20 server on. You should have no issues.

Xilica

Jul 29, 2019
Ah the good old FX-8320. That sucker is more powerful then the Xeon I run my DW20 server on. You should have no issues.
That sounds good. Thanks. I'll move it to the server when it really craps out. Which I expect to start happening when I start quarrying other dimensions and setting up complex ME systems.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
You're fine putting it on the ssd too, unless it's a first gen. SSDs now have very similar mtbf as most disk drives. Plus, what good is a ssd that lasts 20 years, but is never used?:)

I've been running my ftb, and other games, for several years on a cheap ssd...haven't even had a hiccup, and it still reports excellent health.

Reactions: Wagon153

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
You're fine putting it on the ssd too, unless it's a first gen. SSDs now have very similar mtbf as most disk drives. Plus, what good is a ssd that lasts 20 years, but is never used?:)

I've been running my ftb, and other games, for several years on a cheap ssd...haven't even had a hiccup, and it still reports excellent health.
To add to this, a test was recently done on SSDs. They put a couple of petabytes through several SSDs before they started showing signs of deteriorating performance.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You really should stop stuffing too many animals into a confined space. Upgrade the sewers range or use more of them instead. It takes ridiculous amounts of resources to both calculate pathing and rendering with all the wall glitching etc.

Xilica

Jul 29, 2019
It was a temporary solution until I could gather enough resources to move to the sea surface. I wanted to make a very compact undersea base to operate out of while I ran some large quarries. They'll be moved to a proper livestock farm with an enter floor of sewage grates soon. Thanks for the advice though, I didn't think a bunch of cows could do much damage.