Need to find a mineshaft/dungeon

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Jul 29, 2019
So, I've been looking all over the place for a mineshaft or a dungeon (of which I have found a grand total of 0) in hope of finding a Division Sigil so I get some cursed earth (partly because I want a proper general mob grinder, partly because I've never used one before). I went out and found a stronghold, but had no luck (I seem to find a lot of pneumatic craft "nuke viruses" though - which I have no idea how to use and am not interested in atm). Is there any way of finding a mineshaft or dungeon? I'm aware of some websites that take your seed and show you where mineshafts are, but I tried one of those and they don't seem to work with biomes o plenty... Any help?

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
The Wither always drops one if I remember correctly.
Jungle Temples, Desert Pyramids might have them.
Finding mine shafts as you know is random and I have even less luck finding dungeons usually. But IF you have the ability to fly in game, you may get lucky and as you fly around the land scape isn't built up yet letting you see deep down and often times the rails and fence posts are visible in the mine shafts before the game can render the ground and 'hide' it again from you.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have good luck finding sigils in Thaumcraft chests. I know the loot is RNG, but the greatwood with spiderwebs is so easy to identify at a distance. Also, the wisp spawners are easy to see on a map due to the square of eerie biome they create.

Reactions: Padfoote and gold49

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have good luck finding sigils in Thaumcraft chests. I know the loot is RNG, but the greatwood with spiderwebs is so easy to identify at a distance. Also, the wisp spawners are easy to see on a map due to the square of eerie biome they create.
This.
Though in my experience the eerie biome will not emerge before I have come and gone again :p I usually just look for a the obsidian structure with the chest in the middle on JourneyMap. Pretty easy to spot.

Someone mentioned earlier that you could craft a Golden Pearl to show you the locations of mine shafts. I just dig myself down somewhere, turn on night vision and Zan's minimap will show up all caves in the vicinity. Mine shafts are then super easy to distinguish. I use it a lot for spelunking for essence bushes and come across a lot of mine shafts this way.

Reactions: Inaeo

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
You can do the ritual without the division sigil, just do the redstone ring ariund the enchantment table, sacrifice at midnight, and WOW! Cursed Earth!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You can do the ritual without the division sigil, just do the redstone ring ariund the enchantment table, sacrifice at midnight, and WOW! Cursed Earth!
Apparently that does not work any more. Think that feature/bug was removed in 1.6 at some point.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly this did not work when we tried it in Infinity. We did later discover that you can activate multiple sigils at the same time, however.