Need Technical help setting up feed the beast Ultimate Pack

KyleKrafter

Jul 29, 2019
I am getting a refurbished HP PC.
I got Windows 7
It has a I7 dual core processor
8 gigs of Ram
HP Radeon 545 graphics card
Is this good enough to run Feed The Beast ultimate pack?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
It might be, tell us what the computer actually has, thats no real information. The only thing you told us is that it has 8 gigs of memory.

We need things like model numbers.

KyleKrafter

Jul 29, 2019
I understand what your saying. But I don't have the PC in my hands. I'll have it by the end of the week. What would be the system requirements for feed the beast ultimate pack?

KyleKrafter

Jul 29, 2019
I was also wondering. Why would model numbers be an issue? You can't tell me based on the computer's specs alone?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that those aren't specs, they create a general idea at best.

You told us it has a dual core processor, but not what dual core. Intel makes a lot of chips, each with varying levels of performance.
I assume by 545, you mean the 545v, which is a mobile video card, meaning its a laptop, another important note.
Here is a link: http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-545v.30291.0.html
Based on those charts, the video card is actually weaker than an Ivy Bridge cpu's integrated graphics.

Until you can give us some exact specs and/or a link to the place you are buying it from, the following is my best guess.

This computer will run the FTB ultimate pack with somewhat decent performance. This does however depend on things like render distance, resolution, smooth lighting, and number of lag producing things in the world.
The problem with a laptop is that due to the portable nature they are somewhat under powered, as only so much cooling could be fit into one, limiting the components.
A side note, I have not heard of any I7's that are dual cores, are you sure the place your buying from is totally honest about what parts they are selling? Because typically I3's are dual cores, I5's are dual with hyper threading,
and I7's are quad or higher. Also, if you haven't ordered it yet, consider buying a desktop, or building one yourself, not only will it be more powerful, but it might also be cheaper, depending on what the laptop is selling for.

KyleKrafter

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. Maybe i am wrong about some of the specs. I know for sure it is a I 7 and i think its 2.4 ghs. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 540v Series graphics processor. it is a desktop.[DOUBLEPOST=1368750697][/DOUBLEPOST]Im sorry your right on the graphics card. can you put a laptop graphics card in a desktop?

KyleKrafter

Jul 29, 2019
also i am on a budget but a kinda big one. and i only have a 20 dollar deposit on the computer to hold it right now. So i could see if it was what i needed. Based on your experience and knowledge. what would be an ideal desktop to get for FTB? Cause that's all i will be using it for. besides regular surfing.

Please include the specs, so i can do more desktop hunting. I would appreciate it.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Well, first I would like to know 3 things before I get started with helping you pick a computer.

First, what is your absolute maximum budget in US dollars?
Second, what is your preferred budget in US dollars?
Third, what country do you live in, if you don't feel comfortable telling me, is there any particular store you would like to buy parts or a complete computer from?
The best choices include NCIX, Amazon, Newegg, and MemoryExpress.

KyleKrafter

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need to worry about any of that. I just want to know. What i need in a computer for Feed The Beast ultimate pack. I can take care of everything else.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I just wanted a ballpark figure, I could give you a parts list that would total several thousand dollars but would run FTB at a few hundred frames a second no matter what.

I will put together 3 builds, 1 with no price limits, 1 with a limit of $2000 and another with a limit of $1000.

Edit: Price no object list done: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XOW7
It is basically the best parts money can buy. Running FTB on this thing would be like using a bomb disposal robot to squish an ant, it can FTB and so much more, likely at the same time.

Edit 2: Near $2000 build done: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XP58
This is still a very powerful machine, but with some excessive things like the 2 SSD's for Raid 0 removed. The FPS would likely stay the same, as it also drops the screen resolution and price.

Edit 3: Near $1000 build done: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XPdj
This is the lowest you likely want to go. The key differences include a noticeable drop in screen quality, and no Windows 7. If all your doing is running FTB, then using Linux is free and works great. It also cuts down on storage space, memory, a custom cooler with excellent fans, and drops the CPU and GPU tier by one basically. This is a no frills machine with plenty of power for gaming, but it doesn't include high quality peripherals. My personal computer is almost identical, I would say expect 100 FPS running on Far render distance with everything else default.

Edit 4: I just noticed you edited your post above about the graphics card and wherever you were/are going to buy that computer is not seeming trustworthy. ATI mobility graphics are quite old, several years ago the branding was turned to AMD. Also, laptop video cards can not be in a desktop or vice versa. I assume you copied the info straight from the place where it is being sold and if so, that information is false.

The following link is a pretty good guide to building a computer. http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to-build-a-computer-from-scratch-the-complete-guide
Aside from performance, how a computer is put together hasn't changed all that much in the last decade.
If you need any more help or have questions, feel free to PM on these forums, I can also be found by the same name on Steam, Skype, Reddit, almost anywhere really.

KyleKrafter

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you this all really helpful. I'm looking around to buy a custom build desktop. already put together. i would say 800 is where i can draw a line as price wise.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I understand what your saying. But I don't have the PC in my hands. I'll have it by the end of the week. What would be the system requirements for feed the beast ultimate pack?
As long as you optimize your graphics and run java correctly it should work fine

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
If $800 is your max, the $1000 build I suggested might work for you. If you already have stuff like a screen, dvd drive, mouse, keyboard, and speakers then thats almost $300 off right there.

KyleKrafter

Jul 29, 2019
Alright. All this info is great. But i still would like a systems requirements list for FTB. If i wanted to run this between max setting and low setting. like right in the middle. What kind of setup would i need?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I would say 8 gigs of memory, although 4 could be fine, its just nice to have extra, plus memory is so cheap. Any modern memory is DDR3.
Minecraft is highly processor oriented, so the ideal processor would be an Intel Ivy Bridge chip, at least dual core. You can tell its an Ivy Bridge chip by the model number, in this case it would be 3xxx. The Sandy Bridge chips are nice, but a little weaker and have 2xxx model numbers.
The video card still effects performance, just less so, I would suggest a GTX 650T.
Any hard drive thats 7200rpm or an SSD will do. If choosing an SSD, go for something recently released, SSD's are constantly increasing in speed, older ones are slower usually.
Total up what your system will need in power, then get a single rail power supply with that amount +100 watts to allow for aging.
Ivy bridge chips need a socket 1155 motherboard, and the most common chipset is Z77. Make sure to get a reputable brand like Asus or Gigabyte.
That just leaves your case, which is less important, but make sure it has decent cooling and room whatever video card you choose. I find the Corsair cases to be a nice middle ground and they will last you a couple builds if your careful.

Keep in mind there is no real list of requirements, this is just my best guess.