need some creative criticism

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

robbversion1

Jul 29, 2019
So far so good. How about making the corner towers circular. Makes it easier for a spiral staircase. Also more elaborate windows would awesome.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
how about these windows.

http://imgur.com/M7Dnpdz

k explain how to make circular things in minecraft. thought everything was square. I am new to trying to make something look good. I got all the power and stuff down, so trying to build somethings.

This one is after i did something with the roof.

http://imgur.com/G5UPaaQ

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
The castle towers blend in too well with the wall. Make them stick out 2 to 3 blocks from the wall, and make them around 5-7 blocks taller than the wall. A spiral staircase in a square structure can easily be achieved like this:
20130316035152.png

Just continue that pattern and you're set. Torches also add to the medieval theme, or atleast I think so.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Castles don't normally have roofs like in your last shot.

they also tend to have an outer wall and an inner keep. Almost most use stone for the walls but inside the floors are wood if they are not the 1st floor. because it is easier to use cross beams and floor boards then support full stone floors.

About Circles check out. http://donatstudios.com/PixelCircleGenerator it well help you round out parts to give it a nicer look.

I highly recommend mixing up your stones. Smooth stone and Stone Bricks can be use to give a nice combo. Also do not be afraid to use wood. A little trunk blocks and give a nice contrast in places.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I want to front load this. This are from an old world about a two years old I think. I keep back ups of old worlds you know in case I need to check out an old build or something. So I loaded up this old castle I did. It really is simple and kind of tiny. I never got around to finishing it. One cool thing I did like was the redstone powered portcullis.

And Yes back then I was not to good at design so its like 90% stone brick.

2013-03-16_04.23.14 by Saice, on Flickr

Stairs good for adding some shape to things.

2013-03-16_04.23.29 by Saice, on Flickr

Oh god this took days to get working.

2013-03-16_04.23.39 by Saice, on Flickr

Water yeah don't ask I thought it was cool and I don't remember why.

2013-03-16_04.24.10 by Saice, on Flickr

Never got the instead done just floors and stairs.

2013-03-16_04.24.26 by Saice, on Flickr

I did like how the outer wall came together... Just so tiny.

2013-03-16_04.25.11 by Saice, on Flickr

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
yeah added the angles to the towers gives it more shape and makes it look less like a collection of boxes.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
the castle walls wouldn't have windows in it, that would reduce it's strength, the uhh... main reason for building a castle in the first place.
The KEEP would have windows but I've never seen anything that would look like that.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
the castle walls wouldn't have windows in it, that would reduce it's strength, the uhh... main reason for building a castle in the first place.
The KEEP would have windows but I've never seen anything that would look like that.

k Lambert you inspired me to try and make a real keep and outside wall. Here is with towers off of the keep and one short wall and 2 towers. How is this?

http://imgur.com/BMn6XRT

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Moat, chop down trees for 30-40 blocks around to make killing field. If ya wanna get extra fancy, construct siege engines and tents and stuff and make it look like your home is under siege. :) Snowmen for the enemy army perhaps? :)

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Make the walls taller and add crenellations, and try to add supporting buttress type things on the outside to give it depth (1x1x(heightofwall) cobblestone pillars with a stair on top) on the outside.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

Actually, there should be arrowslits (holes to use to shoot invaders from, RP2 microblocks should allow you to make these fairly narrow and still be useful for invader murderifcation), but yes, those giant windows look ugly and need to be transformed.

Besides that, though, the inner keep's windows, if it had any, would be smaller than those to not give invaders easy access into the keep if they've breached the outer wall.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
I would add in more wood like maybe a drawbridge over a moat... Looks great otherwise... Maybe some iron fencing around nitor for chandelier-like lighting

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
try making it more good/evil themed... instead of plain smoothstone (which looks pretty ugly) try using either basalt bricks (for evil) or marble bricks (for good) or if you don't like that slant, use regular stone bricks with basalt/marble highlights.

OR be completely radical (totally, like, radical dude!) and use XBL redrock bricks/slabs, they look the tits.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
Imgur wouldn't let me upload any pictures yesterday. Here is where i am at right now. Someone said something about RP2 to make arrow slits for windows. Which blocks would these be. If you have an idea for the keep windows let me know.

http://imgur.com/kxbxhP7

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
your texture pack makes basalt bricks look really bad tbh :p
Try not to have it so monotone across the entirity of it, add some accents with stone brick/marble brick.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
While I know they're not for everyone, I would suggest taking a look at replacing sections with Dark XyCraft Bricks(do a test first with a new section of wall). Also worth looking into is Engineering Bricks from XyCraft, which to me look pretty sweet.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
your texture pack makes basalt bricks look really bad tbh :p
Try not to have it so monotone across the entirity of it, add some accents with stone brick/marble brick.

I think that is baslt cobble but yeah looks fairly odd.