Need opinions selecting a processor

Aarkaus

Jul 29, 2019
Hey we're looking at setting up an FTB server running all the included mods plus some extra.

At the moment we are undecided on which processor to get i3, i5 or i7 anyone able make some recommendations, kinda leaning towards the i7 but not too sure if it's too excessive.

Motherboard: Intel BOXDH67CFB3
Memory: Corsair (2x8GB) 16GB
OS: Ubuntu server x64 (if it is possible, checking later today)

Also if you think there is anything wrong with the other choices feel free to share.

Thanks

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
I3 I5 or I7 are series numbers they are NOT CPU numbers ! you have "high" version in each series ! a price range is nice if you can provide that.
Keep in mind there is more to a CPU then just the Ghz on it !

You can even look into the E3-12xx CPU series of intel. They work on the Socket 1155 if that is what you want to stick with and they are more server grade.

OS: This is more personal but i love CentOS. As a fact CentOS is from Redhat and is a lot more stable then Ubuntu
Mainboard: Look into this:MSI Z77A-GD55, its the same price range but a its got more memory lanes, so more upgrade capebility. You can even go for this:EVGA Z68 SLI ,EVGA is a good brand and this is a very stable board.

Aarkaus

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the feedback, I'm more software than hardware inclined.

I suppose the question I was looking for an answer to was if Modded Minecraft was CPU intensive, but it would appear not from the research I've done.

I will probably go with that MSI Motherboard, having upgrade possibility is probably a good idea and I already have a case it will fit just need to replace power supply. As for the CPU I am wanting to stick around $200 but if you think it is more beneficial I am willing to go up to $300 (I've put one in below which i believe fits the specs). Will also look into that OS, but I'll probably stick with something I know since it is a small server for just a group of friends.

Current Plan

MSI Z77A-GD55
$139.99
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1220V2 (8M Cache, 3.10 GHz)
$224.00
SilverStone Low Profile 90mm Fan CPU Cooler
$24.50
Corsair 16GB XMS3 (2x 8GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz 240-Pin 16 Dual Channel Kit
$74.99
Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2
$102.84
Total (Not including Power Supply)
$566.32

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
a modded server IS VERY intensive on your CPU. But again its only a single core application.

Smithnc07

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for a public server, but so far I have been happy with it for just me and ~5 friends.
I went the cheaper route for total system and have the following:

-AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU
-CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
-90gb OCZ Agility 2
-Cent OS

For the most part the system is able to run without problems. I have found two major downsides.
1. Dynmap (additional mod) does not update very quickly. I assume this is due to lack of extra threads for it to run on.
2. When creating a mystcraft world, it handles fine, when creating multiple mystcraft worlds right after each other, it starts lagging hard.

Smithnc07

Jul 29, 2019
I will be doing a build with the E3-1230 and 8G gSkill

Smith you might be having some issues with java Garbage collection
This thread is about GC tuning
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/server-lag.2501/#post-25995

Hope your build goes well, I would be interested in hearing how it all turns out.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check that thread out. I hadn't thought about Garbage collection, but I do recall reading about it causing lag in some cases.

CaelThunderwing

Jul 29, 2019
if you consider AMD in the future just skip the FX and go for either Opteron (server grade ) or get an APU AMD, Bulldozer (atleast while in the FX line) was AMd's biggest failure. and is riddled with performance issues. ( ex an FX4100 (4core) compared to an Phenom II x4 of the same speed, the FX runs 22% Slower.(biggest evidence in this while way offtopic is PS2 Emulation. then theres the Valve DRM Issue on unpatched Mobo's w/ extreme slowdowns, bugs or outright BSOD's) i have an FX4100 and regret it every day. the Intel i7's will cost you a pretty penny.if your budget allows for it then get something along the i7 Family. but always google and research comments and reviews on what CPU you choose.