Problem Need help with wither grinder. (FTB Infinity Evolved)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
T

teckton

I need help with making a wither grinder in a very fun and nostalgic modpack, Infinity Evolved.

I know exactly how to set it up, what grinder to use, reinforced obsidian, how to get the drops, using a draconic portal etc.
The only problem I'm having is the automatic block placing. The only ones I know how to use are the Autonomous Activators (which, by the way, are absolute garbage. Never works right, has to be babysat to make sure it's working right, only seems to work when it wants to, sometimes it will, sometimes it won't, always places a block underneath it's placement target which makes things like wither farms an absolute hell to make, forcing you to place microblocks as a barrier, makes no sense why it does this, but either way, it's stupid. Needs to be removed from the goddamn pack tbh, make it uncraftable so it saves players from the suffering of trying to get it to work. Phew. Good to get that out of my system). I don't know how to use any other block placer, and I have no intentions to go with the Autonomous Activators again unless theirs an easy and permanent fix to their instability and stupidity.

I need help, please. Thank you.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
always places a block underneath it's placement target

The Autonomous Activators from TE places blocks by acting like a player who clicks on the surface of a block with a block in hand.

You can configure each AA though its GUI in game to aim low, aim middle, or aim high. (clicking the button will cause the setting to cycle through these options)

If it aims low, it will effectively click on top face of the block below the block-space right in front of it.
If there is a block there, this will result in a block being placed on top of that block, and thus right in front of the AA, just as would happen if you placed a block on top of an other block yourself.
If there is not a block there, it will place the block in that block-space, a block lower. (which is not what would happen for a real player, but it allows it to place blocks in mid air)

If it aims high, it will effectively click on the bottom face of the block above the block-space in front of it.

In order for it to place a block in front of it, make sure it aims at the middle. This will cause it to click on the face of the block in front of it, one block reach.

T

teckton

Sometimes the AAs just won't do anything, even if theirs a block beneath it's placement target. I'm using redstone signals to delay the wither skull placements. One time it'll be working like it's supposed to. Blocks are being placed frame-perfectly, and it's spawning withers very consistently. I log off the game to play something else, and when I get back, the AAs are jacked up and won't work no matter what I do. Never tweaked with it in any sort of way. Even if I replace the AAs and EnderIO wiring exactly how it was set up in the first place, it still won't work.

I don't know what the actual hell is wrong with these things, but something is not right. They shouldn't be so high-maintenance if they fuck up every time you log out and back in. If anything, it's a bug that hasn't been fixed for years now.
I know I'm doing everything right, because I've seen my exact farms work when first building them. After a log-off, it completely breaks and is not fixable as far as I know.

I might just have to resort to manual wither killing since it's near impossible to automate it in this and probably every other pack if theirs an AA involved.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
They always worked for me, but I'll admit that I've never let minecraft run when I wasn't playing. So I don't know about that.

Anyway, Infinity Evolved, has project red, which has a block placer. And if you are using expert mode, it is cheaper than TE's AA.

T

teckton

They always worked for me, but I'll admit that I've never let minecraft run when I wasn't playing. So I don't know about that.

Anyway, Infinity Evolved, has project red, which has a block placer. And if you are using expert mode, it is cheaper than TE's AA.
Well, just simply exiting the game entirely and loading it back up again breaks everything. I'm assuming (and hoping) that it's a bug. If so, I'll report it.
I can supply some pictures of my setup later. When was the last time you used AAs in Infinity Evolved? I'd like to make sure that it's just not me doing something wrong.

T

teckton

UPDATE:
Alright. I can confirm that there is a bug with the Autonomous Activator.

I decided to make a superflat, creative world to make several wither farms.
The first one was a success. Everything worked as intended. The AAs were doing a fantastic job with building the wither. Putting the soul sand first, and then the wither skulls next through the use of redstone conduits. This is exactly where this annoying bug comes in. If I close down and leave the world without restarting the client and then go back in without having anything changed, the AAs will start bugging out hard. Sometimes they'll completely mess up the block placements, but most of times they just don't do anything at all, even with redstone signals. I've tried messing around with this, trying to find easy fixes, seeing if other block placers did this, etc. but to no avail. This bug is not all that fixable at all as far as I can tell. Breaking and replacing the same AAs won't work, same with the conduits and redstone circuitry. The only fix I know so far is to craft a completely new batch of AAs and replace the old ones with the new ones.

Seriously. Please try it and see if it does this on your end.
I don't know who or where to report this to at the time I'm writing this, so I'll snoop around the forums and FTB website and see if I can find where to report bugs.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
This link is where you can post bug reports for all team CofH mods.

However... Minecraft version 1.7.10 mods are no longer supported by team CofH, so nothing will be done with it.

The usual suspect with these type of issues is chunk border issues. Don't build contraptions crossing chunk borders.
A possible solution is to give the contraption an on/off switch, and remember to turn it off before closing the game.

Don't other mod's block placers work either? I mentioned the block placers from project red before. I think there are others still, but I don't remember.

T

teckton

The usual suspect with these type of issues is chunk border issues. Don't build contraptions crossing chunk borders.
A possible solution is to give the contraption an on/off switch, and remember to turn it off before closing the game.

They're not crossing chunk borders as far as I can tell on the map. On/off switches are essential for the AAs in case I need to make adjustments, so I have that.

Don't other mod's block placers work either? I mentioned the block placers from project red before. I think there are others still, but I don't remember.
The project red block places couldn't interact with Ender IO redstone conduits and item conduits, so I couldn't tell it to place the soul sand first. The others like from Minefactory just wouldn't place the heads even with the soul sand beneath it.
Every time I close down and reopen the world it'll do something entirely different, ranging from the redstone circuitry having huge delays, having to trigger twice before it actually places blocks, to it, again, messing and miscalculating it's target placement, or to where it just won't place anything at all even when active.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
They're not crossing chunk borders as far as I can tell on the map. On/off switches are essential for the AAs in case I need to make adjustments, so I have that.

The project red block places couldn't interact with Ender IO redstone conduits and item conduits, so I couldn't tell it to place the soul sand first. The others like from Minefactory just wouldn't place the heads even with the soul sand beneath it.
Every time I close down and reopen the world it'll do something entirely different, ranging from the redstone circuitry having huge delays, having to trigger twice before it actually places blocks, to it, again, messing and miscalculating it's target placement, or to where it just won't place anything at all even when active.
Conduits can be tricky; sometimes it doesn't connect by default, but when you force it to with the Yeta wrench it will actually connect and work.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Do you have the wither builder running all the time or do you batch/on demand run it?

I usually have mine set to batch build withers then later convert it to on demand build.

I do this with an RFTools Inventory checker that sends a redstone signal to a block with a redstone torch on it to my timer.

If there is heads and sand in the inventory the builders timer runs and insta-withers. If it's empty the lack of inventory causes the torch to light holding the timer down.