Need help with factorization routers and barrels

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
So I have a barrel wall, and am currently using a factorization router to transfer and sort everything. I also have a diamond chest right next to the barrel wall so that it can be filled when the router doesn't find a barrel for the item. However... for some reason, the router sticks objects into that diamond chest, no matter what. It seems to be an even distribution setup.

Is there any way I can set the diamond chest as overflow and have it try to always place items into the barrels first priority?

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019
You might try using the thoroughness upgrade. That should try to fill barrels first, assuming the barrel already has the item in it (partially filled). Haven't tried this, so not sure it would work.

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm then it shouldn't try to put anything in the chest assuming the chest is empty and barrels have items... maybe the chest is a 'closer' inventory. The one it goes to first. Which I guess would mean it would try to fill that first and the barrels last.

Maybe move the chest to be furthest away in the system.

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019
Furthest from the router. As far as I know, the router tries to fill the closest inventory first if you have a thoroughness upgrade on it, so the chest being the furthest inventory should mean it is filled last.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I have this nagging memory that a tutorial video I watched showed the router trying to fill the furthest away barrel first. I may be wrong, but if making the chest the furthest away doesn't help, try making it the closest to the router.

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019
I have this nagging memory that a tutorial video I watched showed the router trying to fill the furthest away barrel first. I may be wrong, but if making the chest the furthest away doesn't help, try making it the closest to the router.

Hmm that would be weird. In my mod spotlight it fills the first furnace first. Maybe it's random. lol

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm that would be weird. In my mod spotlight it fills the first furnace first. Maybe it's random. lol
Well I certainly could be wrong -- I was going from my very overworked memory of a video. My actual setup doesn't use an overflow chest -- it pulls from a diamond chest buffer and if it gets plugged I clear it manually.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
From my experience, Routers indeed seem quite random, in that you can basically consider the path like some dimensionally compressed Buildcraft pipe with all possible inventories attached to it, i.e. it'll alternate between valid inventories if multiple inventories are valid. Thus in that setup the chest -- unless every slot is full with something -- is going to get a bit of everything since it has the random chance of being the valid inventory picked this time (Thoroughness as an upgrade doesn't seem to work the way I'd expect it to, so I've stopped including it in my setup).

My "overflow chest" setup ended up working like this: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-with-builcraft-pipes.2801/page-4#post-131298

Unfortunately, that setup may be very annoying to less robust servers (the one running that setup is the Forgecraft system spec and we're handling 10 players with it). I haven't tested it enough to see how impactful it is on server brains. =)