Need help with a simple circuit

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I need help putting together a circuit. Vanilla parts preferably. I just can't think of any easy way to Google for this one. Lemme explain:

I have 10 different inputs, each representing a digit. Any of those digits could be on or off, but I want to run THAT through what I'm expecting to be a simple filter that allowed only the highest active number go through. Essentially so I can run it through a seven segment display, which I already have set up.

Illustrative example:

got ten separate redstone leads. If the 5th and 7th leads are both active and the rest are off, it would output only the 7. And, without hitting any reset switches or anything, if I then activated line 9, it would shut line 7 output off and turn only 9 on.

Edit: if I then turned off the #9 and #7, the output goes back to the 5th, which was still on.

I can draw a Ms paint masterpiece if that helps anyone. This is the last puzzle in a fairly large project that I gotta get done to-DAY for real life professional reasons, so hopefully I'll figure it out in my own, but if anyone knows off hand, I'd super appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ok, here it is! "The Minecraft Brain"

This is going to require some explanation, lmao

So, this is going to take a few watches, I think, to get what's going on here. But I'll like the save files so you can play with it yourselves.
I
not immediately apparently what's going on here, but pay attention to the inputs and outputs before bothering to look at all that spaghetti wiring. I'm not great at redstone, that part isn't super important. What's important is what lights up. In particular, pay attention to the first two sevens, notice how they're completely different.

So, basically, the 5x5 grid with the switches is an image. You "draw" a numerical digit, in a way that you would generally recognize visually. The machine is a real, functioning neural network that "sees" the image, processes and guesses the meaning of that image, and outputs what it thinks that number is on the big screen.

All of the calculation is done with the lights. Each one is on or off, completely binary. Everything there is to see is on the surface, theres's no funny business behind the scenes. It is a real neural network that processes images the way your real brain does. This is also how handwriting recognition, voice recognition, Snapchat filters, and Google all work. Among other things. It also serves as a fantastic metaphor for the dissolved truths we see out there in these crazy times.

There will be a bigger better video with commentary I'm hoping to release on Monday that will go over everything and demystify it. So try to keep this b-roll footage to this thread if you can.

Il get a link to the save in a few minutes.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OViI9RTDM71ud5nRLA8jLDgEg1LaKUW/view?usp=drivesdk

Lemme know if that link works. It has the "saves" folder in it because that's how I send patches to the people on my server. They're not great computer people, so it makes it easier. So you can extract it in you root instance folder or just move it to the right place.

If the link doesn't work help point me to a better place to host a file real quick

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
ce06ab5015d35362de0b18964b61a89b96d7b6317b31bea140dc83a030702771.jpg

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Okay.. I see you being clever... :)

I see it 'reads' line by line, then interprets that into what it 'sees'. I would be interested to see what it thinks the number is if you put in something that doesn't conform in the grid, like if you put in a letter A instead.. :)

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yes, thank you, thank you! :p

I will record some commentary this week for the final release that will help demystify. If reading it via text doesn't click, it will click better when I'm going over it live, so stay tuned for the full thing.

But this puzzle is like a thread. The more you pull on it, the more more you unravel, the deeper it goes. This is basically a picture of what's running the whole world right now. It's about far more than guessing numbers. This is how Google searches work. This is how Snapchat filters work. This is voice recognition, handwriting recognition, it's all up in your phones. It's how you think, it's literally what your dreams are made of. It is literally a digital brain.

You know how if you place a magnet in the middle of a bunch or iron filings and they all kinda line up along the magnetic field? That basic structure is the magnet, society is the filed iron. This is not only the structure of how your brain works, abd how AI works, it's how information is processed on a primal level. Even on a macro scale, ie, if those were people instead of neurons, it still demonstrates how information is processed and kinda boiled down, and just like in real life can lead to different conclusions with different biases.

In fact, if you imagine the neurons as a tribe of binary people, it's a bit easier to understand.The basic structure is actually simpler than it looks. There are several layers, each denoted by different colored glass. And they do, indeed process in order. It's goes like this:

First row (yellow) is the retina. It's a direct copy of what's on the screen, it's just separated out in a line. These are direct witnesses to the original "event". They all saw something. Some of them are alarmed (on) and sone are not (off).

Second layer is called V1 (red). V1 is the closest friends to some of the neurons in the retina. Each one is looking at three other retina neurons in this case. These will generally be 3 in a row horizontally or vertically, some diagonals. Neurons #1,2,3 might activate number 41 while 42 gets activated by #2,3,4 for example. There can be overlaps.

Second layer, called V2 (blue)t same thing, but goes a step higher. These villagers aren't as easily moved as the last group. But they know if #41 and #78 both happen to be lit up (fir one example) then there actually might be something going on, so they light up. They're forming slightly more complicated shapes now.

We skip v3 here because v3 is about processing colors. We're keeping things "simple" in this Minecraft works, so we just don't need it. A reminders, this is all based on our real brains and how we really process visual information. "The chicken or the egg" thing here is the brain cane first. Computers using this method came second.

Moving on to v4 (green). These are the "beat reporters" of the village. They're really not easily moved. They only bother noticing certain patterns that are relevant. The chain often ends here unless it recognizes some basic shapes. But if these guys get lit up, you've got yourself a "story" abd they send their info over to the last layer, IT.

The IT (purple, right under the big screen) is a little bit different. They're more willing to listen to everyone from v4 because they know v4 has done some homework. In other words, they're OR gates instead of AND gates. This is where the guess is determined.

This is what I needed that last circuit for. Now you've got a bunch of abstract shapes that all could be parts of a number, but how does it make a choice? The answer is biases. For example, a number 1 and a number 7 aren't too far apart, shaoe-wise, so you'd think any 7 might look like a 1 with some extra stuff. And it does, so when you activate both, the 7 takes precedence because it has more features. Same thing with an 8 vs a 9. They share a bunch of the same features, so if something has everything a 9 would have, but also that one thing and 8 would have, then only the 8 fires and the brain has made a decision.

After that, it just goes to the big screen. It was originally just fir the output fir the player, but looking back and seeing what looked like all those neurons in a big theater looking up to the big screen in the sky to tell them the truth, man, it done did my head in. Imagine different screens with different biases. It's not an exact copy of the real truth, it's always dissolved, and, depending on how those biases are set, ie depending on which news source you prefer, the "truth" could be entirely different things.

Anyway, fascinating stuff abd I hope to write these for a living. This one here is a known algorithm made in MIT. What makes these things so magical is how they're figured out. You can have any random data on the retina. Let's go with, say stock market data. You train the algorithm. So, let's say when a stock rises, that's a yes. If it drops, it's a no. You let it train itself one tons of examples and it will pick up on patterns a human wouldn't even think about, based just on what patterns tend to keep popping up. You won't need to know what those patterns look like or why, the algorithm does it all for you. It literally "learns" the same way WE learn , only it doesn't have a faulty memory. I can literally predict the stock market out to a certain degree. Not with perfect accuracy, but with enough to make consistent profits. This is actually how how weather is forecast. It can only guess so far because chaos and all, but it works! It picks up patterns out of nothing all on its own and makes genuinely accurate predictions (I'm working on a Bitcoin bot next ;)) There's really no end in sight to what they can do.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Okay.. I see you being clever... :)

I see it 'reads' line by line, then interprets that into what it 'sees'. I would be interested to see what it thinks the number is if you put in something that doesn't conform in the grid, like if you put in a letter A instead.. :)

It can only output one of the ten digits or a blank screen. My guess is any A you make in that 5x5 grid would likely show up as a 4, or nothing. I do know if you fill up every light, it will determine it's an 8 because 8 has the most features. But I linked the world files, so you can actually try it for yourself if you want.

It's very simplified, so it's easy enough to fool. It fails in a bunch of places that make sense once you know this one through and through. If I could double the neurons and not shoot myself for building it (this thing took about 250-300 hours in a little over 2 weeks, and that takes a toll), it could be twice as accurate.

Unfortunately this is why larger corporations that can afford fleets of computers have a massive advantage over regular folk like myself. But, I should still be able to would it enough to make my mark on this world.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Rendering some b-roll footage for the video. This one is more of the same. Next one rendering now is gonna be a better look at the structure in daytime

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
So I guess the only question left to ask is...

Why?

LOL Well done Dr Bretto!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Haha, good question!

1) because I needed something to spice up my portfolio. It's a little silly because it's Minecraft, but it's relevant and eye catching. It should help

2) because building it helped me understand the finer workings of a neural network, which is what I'd like to work on for a living, and not just because they make like 250k these days.

3) so other people interested in neural networks could download it and play around. First bunch of videos I watched we're all nice, but there's nothing like actually being able to flip switches and okay with it on your own.

And of course, just 'cause. :)