Need Help:Fast Travel Methods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Raefar

Jul 29, 2019
First off thank you in advance, you guys are a great help.

I'm currently look for a new means of traveling short and large distances due to the server I play on banning portal guns. The server is currently running mindcrack version 8.2 I believe. I will mostly be using it for traveling between floor in my base due to there being very limited room and I hate ladders. I know I could use teleporters however the first lvl of the base is at 117 and the highest lvl is 248, so a lot of power, I do believe, would be need to travel around it.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
Vertical's always a challenge. Best options are probably jetpacks or IC2 magnetic boots. Or aerial faith plates

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Is the entire portal mod banned? Because they have some other portals that aren't guns that you can make. I think aerial faith plates are from the portal mod too so if the whole mod is disabled then that wont work.

Another option might be arcane levitators if portals and faith plates are out, but you have to research them. Otherwise if you've made it to the end you can farm ender pearls and just toss them around.

I wish we had a jetsons mod where you enter a tube and it transports you around your house. Minecraft needs more ways to transport players!

Raefar

Jul 29, 2019
I believe its just the guns, due to people using them to steal blocks from other peoples builds with no way to track who did it.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
Pneumatic Player Tubes.... hhmmm

images

On Topic: I would use Arcane Levitators personally, but I LOVE those things WAY to much.

Raefar

Jul 29, 2019
I really dont want to start the research on them yet... hmm I guess I can just buy a few from other players....

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Arcane levitators are great, and they're stackable, too. Each extra one you place underneath the first adds another 10 blocks to the height they will raise you to. I've stacked 4 of them before, but I'm not aware of an upper limit. They're also usable to slowly lower yourself downwards, if you place them above you. If they're not your cup of tea, then IC2 has magnetizers, which allow you to zip upwards on iron fences, but they require power and you need to wear iron boots. Then there's always jetpacks, which are cheap and flexible, but designing your base assuming you'll always have a jetpack can lead to some awkward situations.

Raefar

Jul 29, 2019
I dont have room for stairs, the build is shaped kinda like a diamond, the bottom floor is only 5x5 usable space and the widest floor is 25x25

Stairmasternem

Jul 29, 2019
Stairs and parkour really aren't "fast travel" methods. Also, hidden pop-out stairs would add a bit to the exterior.

If you're looking to be compact, jet packs with various recharge stations throughout the base might be the best bet.

Reactions: seannyyx

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
Arcane levitators are great, and they're stackable, too. Each extra one you place underneath the first adds another 10 blocks to the height they will raise you to. I've stacked 4 of them before, but I'm not aware of an upper limit. They're also usable to slowly lower yourself downwards, if you place them above you. If they're not your cup of tea, then IC2 has magnetizers, which allow you to zip upwards on iron fences, but they require power and you need to wear iron boots. Then there's always jetpacks, which are cheap and flexible, but designing your base assuming you'll always have a jetpack can lead to some awkward situations.
Quantum/Nano also qualify as "Iron" for the magnetizers

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
I believe its just the guns, due to people using them to steal blocks from other peoples builds with no way to track who did it.

I'd hate to play on a server with griefers. I guess I'm lucky enough to have my ISP provide an Ultimate server which is whitelisted - never had to worry about this issue.

OT: I say set up a spiralling cart track - would be different method to "traditional" ftb ways.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Some more info on levitators

Not only can you stack them like they said. But you can build a stack of them and use redstone to turn a number of them off and on making your up distance selectable with some wiring. You can do this down too. So if you wire it corrctly you can have one levitator shaft that has a bunch of levitators on the top and bottom with wirling to turn off the top ones and any number of the bottom ones when you go up and that turns off the bottom ones when you want to go down.