Need help choosing a modpack

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DeadlyPeanut

Jul 29, 2019
Im going to be starting a server for me and a few friends, dont bother messaging me its 100% private server for me and people ive known awhile.

Anyways im trying to choose a modpack. We have played tekkit for awhile but they discontinued Tekkit lite for the most part and the new "Tekkit" dosnt have red power or IC2 = fail and neither have some other major mods FTB offers

My biggest issue is with performance all but me and 1 of my friends the others dont have the best computers, kinda of middle of the road or a little worse PCs

I quickly tested the direwolf modpack , on world gen in a fresh world i got 70 fps , I say thats pretty good. but that pack is missing some mods im interested , specifically GregTech , making things harder seems good as we all play cooperatively and dont destroy each others stuff ( for the most part :p )

So i tried the ultimate modpack , and i was getting 45-50 FPS on a fresh world right after creation , thats a little concerning to me once i start adding stuff and machines i fear the FPS could get a little low. Add that ontop of my friends so so PCs and we could have probs.

So in short anyone have any suggestions on mod packs or how to customize mod packs more to my liking ? ( which i dont know how todo. I dont know the FTB launcher only the tekkit one but its supposedly easy in the FTB launcher )

Thanks in advance.

Jemjem787

Jul 29, 2019
For me, I can just barely tell the difference between 30fps and 1000fps. So when you got concerned for getting 40fps you shouldn't be too concerned. My eyes might be worse or better than yours, you should open up a FPS locker in minecraft to see where you stop seeing the difference.

However, I am playing ftb ultimate and I would suggest that to you, it has just the right amount of mods to stay interested in it for a long time.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Research the packs, the easy way is just to press the edit button for each pack see whats listed in each see if you like or not, if not add a missing mod to make the pack more to your taste, just add it to the /mods folder then reboot the launcher & activate it in the edit mods, your buddies have to do the same for there clients too, or get MultiMC & make your own pack from scratch but be warned there is a lot too getting the latests versions of mods to work well with each other & to the balancing configs to stop one mod being to easy with xx mod, that is what the ftb team do for you, as to no RP well rednet is a good working substitute for now & a nice mod in its own right, it gives some of the basic functions of RP wires & uses logic in a very nice way, from the same guy that made mfr, the RP debate may soon come to an end as a lot of mod authors are adding or making RP type items, some are just pure clones of RP, weathered the storm we may have, but will all these fragmented mods ever match the pure awesomeness that was RP we can but wait & see, & who knows we may even get to see a RP again in the future, but not the near future.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
We have played tekkit for awhile but they discontinued Tekkit lite for the most part and the new "Tekkit" dosnt have red power or IC2 = fail and neither have some other major mods FTB offers
If you insist on having Redpower you may be stuck using older modpacks. I'm confident Eloraam is outright skipping 1.5.2 and there is no ETA for 1.6.x. She may have it out before the modpacks release or she may not. You might be waiting for a long time.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really care at FPS at all, I usually cap mine at 40FPS with optifine so my computer won't have to constantly work for it

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Im going to be starting a server for me and a few friends, dont bother messaging me its 100% private server for me and people ive known awhile.

Anyways im trying to choose a modpack. We have played tekkit for awhile but they discontinued Tekkit lite for the most part and the new "Tekkit" dosnt have red power or IC2 = fail and neither have some other major mods FTB offers

My biggest issue is with performance all but me and 1 of my friends the others dont have the best computers, kinda of middle of the road or a little worse PCs

I quickly tested the direwolf modpack , on world gen in a fresh world i got 70 fps , I say thats pretty good. but that pack is missing some mods im interested , specifically GregTech , making things harder seems good as we all play cooperatively and dont destroy each others stuff ( for the most part :p )

So i tried the ultimate modpack , and i was getting 45-50 FPS on a fresh world right after creation , thats a little concerning to me once i start adding stuff and machines i fear the FPS could get a little low. Add that ontop of my friends so so PCs and we could have probs.

So in short anyone have any suggestions on mod packs or how to customize mod packs more to my liking ? ( which i dont know how todo. I dont know the FTB launcher only the tekkit one but its supposedly easy in the FTB launcher )

Thanks in advance.

Althought I'm an AutoMagica Beta tester, I recommend that you use Resonant Rise, wich is a private modpack that it's turning public in some weeks.It's awesome and completely diffrent.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
If I were you, I'd probably go with Ultimate. It has the most mods, and it's easier to remove mods you don't want/need than to add ones you do. I'd also keep in mind that 1.6.1 just came out, and there are going to be new mod packs available in the coming weeks that will almost certainly require a fresh start if you want to play them. Probably a good idea to have a discussion with your members to see if they're prepared to start over in a month or so to play with the new shinys, or they want to continue in a 1.4.7 world.

Airbornehurdle

Jul 29, 2019
I probably use ultimate but delete secret room mods ( I have a question does your friends steal crap from other people and if they do than keep this mod)

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
You know, as long as it's a private server i'd suggest investing the time in RR, AM, or SA(Resonant Rise, Auto Magica, and Soaryn's Ascended in that order). They're all community made packs that most people love. They all have different mods, but they all have mods you won't find in any other FTB pack. The only downside is you have to install the mods yourself, but the configs are done for you so the hard work is done.