Need Building Tips, Design suggestions

GU_MindFreak

Jul 29, 2019
Hello! I'm GU_MindFreak (ofc) and I.. well.. I'm not the greatest builder in MineCraft. I have started to design a building(house) on the DireWolf20 1.7 Pack and I am needing some suggestions!
I have attached the images of two of the main foyers, or entrances, but I may be adding a third for symmetry's sake. I am not very far along, as I have just started this a bit ago, but I'd love suggestions!

I started with the entrance, trying to stick to a medieval themed "farmhouse" it was supposed to be, but turned into something bigger.
I like how it is going, but my concern is with the roof, mostly. I'm not too sure if I should use the logs there, or go with something else. I am also tossing up what I should do to blend the two sides together at the corner. It is hard for me, as I am not very skilled in building, and I thought I'd post a thread to ask for some suggestions.

Anything you suggest I may add, and I thank you in advance.
-GU_MindFreak
2014-11-16_21.37.18.png
2014-11-16_21.37.32.png
2014-11-16_21.37.25.png
2014-11-16_21.37.37.png

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
Generally looks nice, but you might be overdoing it a little with the base height. If you really want those stairs to the porch, I suggest you build the final house on a slope or something, having the floor three blocks high seems to unnatural (plus, no real basement). Maybe consider flattening out the very top of your roof, saves you some space and resources. You could also make it somewhat diamond-shaped in the center.

GU_MindFreak

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I thought that the height could be a problem. I might try and make it on a slope or just try and bring it down. Thanks! Ill need to work on that a bit, soon. I may cut the roof flat a few blocks above the stained glass window.

Eli Dacreach

Jul 29, 2019
From what I know of (of the Medieval Era) alot of homes (even those of nobles) had roofs made of thatch (hay, discarded wheat, etc.).

Your creation seems to hail much more closely from the Early Renaissance era. So perhaps some searches of 'Early Renaissance architecture' would help?

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with Eli Dacreach You should use a hay/thatch roof exspecially being a farm house and maybe a bit smaller depending if that will be your main base or not. If you like that type of building maybe even try some steampunk as well its really fun ;)

GU_MindFreak

Jul 29, 2019
I thank all of you for your posts and ideas! I like the hay/thatch roof idea and I may play around with some block types, this evening. I will work on making it smaller, especially since the server I play had a recent reset I'll have the chance to start the house from the beginning. Thank you, Eli I will be looking into that later :D