Need advice on the best way to host

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I have one person outside of my own personal home network that plays on my server. I literally only have this server because of this one person. Paying $30 a month for a server for this because I didn't want to deal with the hassles of setting up my own server.

But, I feel like it's time to make a change. I see it as two options: I can set it up as a traditional server, which appears to be a complicated beast to tackle (I don't get how this isn't totally streamlined by now, but it is what it is), or I can set up a local network game and she can connect via Hamachi.

What do you all think would be the best way to go here?

I would be playing the game on the same PC I'm hosting it on, but I think it can take it.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Setting up an FTB server seems to be fairly straight forward nowadays. Download the server zip, unpack and run the install script (and edit eula file). It worked for the latest Sky Factory 3 at least.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh, that would be great. I'll start there. Because explaining Hamachi to these people is going to be a huge chore.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'll repost this here rather than create a whole new thread:

Aaaaalright. We're gonna blow it up and I'm going to host my own server for a bit. I am starting with FTB lite as a base, then adding back in the same mods I'm using now, mostly buildcraft and thaumcraft based. I'm running up the tech tree, but I'm also trying to keep things "practical". What that means is, I'm not interested in building an automatic farming machine. I am interested in making an automatic farm out of basic components. That sort of thing. It looks like Pneumaticcraft would be another good example.

I'm looking for any suggestions anyone may have that might be worth looking into. For the most part, the mods are kind of a random hodge-podge. Would love something that lets me build an airship or something to that effect, too, if that exists.

Any must-haves out there that aren't already included in FTB lite?

Edit: I'd give you all the full list, but I'm not at home, so I only have half a list atm.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
My client doesn't seem to have an option to download server anywhere. The directions sound simple enough, but it just says to open the launcher, pick the profile and click download server and that option is not anywhere.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Apparently, I had to dig and find the 'legacy' launcher to find the option. This is officially the break even point. In the last calendar year, I have now spent more time configuring Minecraft than playing it.

masterx244

Jul 29, 2019
My client doesn't seem to have an option to download server anywhere. The directions sound simple enough, but it just says to open the launcher, pick the profile and click download server and that option is not anywhere.

Server pack DL is also available on the curse website page of the pack. (each pack file there has a +1 more button on it where the server files reside

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It's all good. I set it up via hamachi. Just gotta spend the 15 hours it always takes to install all the mods, and we're good to go, lol.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Setting up a server isn't hard once you've located the actual file necessary.

In the last calendar year, I have now spent more time configuring Minecraft than playing it.

Running your own server, you should get used to this. Making a pack (and configuring it properly) is much easier than it used to be, but it still takes time and attention. Then, when everything is tuned to perfection, one mod updates. Updating that mod means needing a newer version of Forge. Another mod isn't capable of running on that version. Give and take. Configure and reconfigure. Time spent playing Minecraft where you never actually play Minecraft. It's a labor of love, usually without appreciation or compensation.

Then comes the text message while at work asking why the server is down. The player who blows up his own house and NEEDs you to load from backup. Then finally the game crushing chicken farm that all but melts your CPU.

All for the love of the game (that you spend more time configuring than playing).

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yeah, thank god I only have one person on my serer, but the "why isn't it on??" texts have already been coming in, lol.

Thing is, I just need a witness, if that makes any sense. Labor of love is right. I spend countless hours building something but it's all for nothing if I'm the only one that'll appreciate it. That's pretty much the only reason it's gone multiplayer. I am used to it, though. It's been a constant hassle, but it's all been worth it.

I have it set up as a single player map and the other one connects via Hamachi. This is working for now, but I do think I ultimately want to figure out how to run it like an actual server. I think I picked up enough of the gist of it while it was under MCProHosting that I can eventually figure it out. Having to generate a new port every time I load the world is going to get ridiculous.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If all you need is a witness, you should start a thread over in the Community Showcase where we can all admire your handiwork.

Just sayin'...

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ohh, good idea. Because I'm planning to record a lot of videos, lol. I outdid myself on this server. 150 very carefully selected mods and the absolute most gorgeous seed I've ever seen, bar none. I can't even tell you how excited I am about what's to come. I intend to take everything I've learned in the last year and this is finally going to be the map I have always wanted to build.

But, it's too late. The other one loves playing with me too much to kick her out now, lol. I definitely do need to figure out how to actually set up the server properly, though. Especially if I end up opening it up to more players down the line.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It's buggy already. Whenever the other one logs in, my FPS drops a little bit, chunks don't always load right, and I've had a few blocks missing. When she's buggy and logs off, the game crashes on my end.

Is it possible these are symptoms of trying to run a single-player game open to LAN via Hamachi, or are these symptoms that I have some bad mod or something and I'm about to have to start over? I don't want to get into it and find out I need to start over.

Does anyone here think I'd have a better overall experience in these regards if I figure out how to make the server work like normal?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Running via LAN (or even a server hosted locally to your client) means your system has to process the entire load from both players (minus the rendering on her end). You said your pack was around 150 mods, which is quite a lot given the circumstances. You could try pruning back that list a bit to see if it helps.

Another thing to look at is dedicating the server to run on a separate CPU core than your client, although I'm not sure you can do that on a LAN game. Since Minecraft is unfortunately single threaded, having multiple cores doesn't help much in a SSP setting, but if you run a local server, you can prioritize them to separate cores to split the load.

I'm not familiar with how MC runs its LAN experience, but I would assume the load from two players running 150 mods on the same core as your client is likely crippling the CPU. I may be wrong - it's happened before.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
My CPU is definitely the limiting factor overall. I will have to look into dedicating a core to it. I didn't even know that was possible.

I want all of these mods, though, lol. I could prune them some, but there aren't many I'm willing to go without, and I can't seem to get the game to run if I take one off anyway. Not to mention, if it's one that's bugged causing this, then it could take a looong time figuring out which one it is, and that could mean a start-over.

One consitent thing I've noticed is buildcraft is bugging a little bit and that's the center piece mod for me. Sometimes the quarry arm or the drill bit on a pump gets a duplicate stuck there until I reboot the world. By itself, it's not a huge deal, but if it's a symptom of something bigger, it might be a major problem...

OK, in the meantime, I will focus on figuring out the server thing. I'm actually pretty close, I think, but the lack of useful documentation out there is infuriating. And, I'll definitely look into the core thing.

I will also use this as an opportunity to consider the possiblity of maybe wondering if it's worth it to get myself a new processor.. Aaand, it's too late, it's set in the brain and tax returns are coming... :p

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I think I made it work and I feel like the day I learned how to spell my own name. I vividly remember going up to literally anyone and telling them all about it.

Now I have the internet to make such behavior socially acceptable. But, look, modding Minecraft and running a server aren't for the feighnt of heart. This is not easy to come into this late in the game. There is a ton of outdated information out there, and it can be really complicated.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Now that you have moved to a server based system vs LAN, do your previous issues go away? How is performance from your partner's end in the new setup vs LAN?

There is a ton of old and partial info out there to be sure, but setting up a server hasn't changed too much along the way from what I understand. Best advice I can give is to make small changes when change is needed, then monitor how that affects the server, then adjust again. It's a trial of patience, but it ends up saving a lot of headache compared to trying to find the one thing screwing up in a large change list.

Hopefully things are stable enough that you can actually play for a bit.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm confident it's all in perfect working order, but I didn't finish it until it was too late to ask her to log on and try. The only thing left is to find out whether or not I need to port forward (I'm not sure if I already did that a while back for somethign else or not). That will be for tonight after work. I can't explain it, but I got the feeling this long national nughtmare is over and I can just play. I even set up my thread in the community showcase :p

I did take out some of the mods, too. I gave it a real good look and removed about 12 of them that I don't think I'll miss. And now mods are LOCKED and it's time to play!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Port forwarding is recommended, as IPs being static will be much more conducive to server life. It's simple enough to do, so I've no doubt you'll figure it out.

Looking forward to seeing your world.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh yeah, that's the easy part. I've done it before. I just didn't get around to it last night. I only opened the exception in windows Firewall for now.

I work for my cable company, but they won't give me a free static IP :( lol

I posted some of my old stuff in the introduction post for my thread in the showcase. It's funny looking back at how green I was, but in the first video, you can actually hear me falling in love with the game.

I can't wait to see my world as well. I mean, I'm like 15 hours in, but this is just the setup.