Necromancy

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
This has zero to do with anything prudent. But is it me or have there been a lot of infieri type threads? It seems like two a wk are brought back.

Maybe I'm just starting to notice but it seems like a lot in a small period of time.

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
Summer vacations are over, school's back in, and server traffic is up. (Okay, the last one is a guess based on my household.)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I like the holloween aspect. But, a lot of seems to be brand new users that probably don't know that they shouldn't necro a thread unless they have something good to contribute to that thread. I personally don't mind a necro as long as it is adding to thread (not just someone posting "I got this problem to").

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
In a way, I like the aspect of thread resurrection in a way to show that they used a search function to find what they are looking for (most probably Google), but at least they did a search. The bad thing about it is that they do not pay attention (in a lot of cases) to the actual content of said resurrected thread, notably the dates of the posts they are replying to. Time has moved on and things (mods / modpacks) have changed.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
You know what I don't understand!?

Thread necromancy is not a new thing, its almost as old as the internet itself. So why, oh why doesn't forum software these days come with anti-necro functionalities?

Something like; When a thread has been inactive for more than x amount of time, it goes in archive mode. When viewing an archived thread, there are visual cues in the layout indicating it is an archived thread. When you hits the reply button in an archived thread, you get an unavoidable warning saying something like: "you are about to reply to an old thread, are you sure you want to do that?"
This could even be done on a per post basis, for example, when replying directly to an old post in a still active but very long thread.

Seems like a gap in the forum software marked to me.

Reactions: Robijnvogel

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
we just need to make sure the thread never dies, that way it can never be necro'd

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Being as one of the last two posts is mine... I will tell you that story is 100%. Been working as a nurse for 5yrs. It's not the weirdest thing I've been told. But it did make me laugh at its randomness :p