Mystcraft oil page?? :)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
These pages should have special instability effects on them.
an oil age should be poisonous to breathe in. same with methane lakes. there should be random explosions and fires as well.
a hydrogen world should be just devastating to enter. the gravity should be crushing you enough that you are unable to jump, or run. And big ass lightening bolts.. ohh yeahh..
I'd visit such an age just to watch the fireworks myself.

Such ages are incredibly OP in a way, but balanced against the player needing at least a Q-suit or a decently decked out MPS means that you won't be exploiting one til your in the end game, thus making the OP'nes a moot point.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft shouldn't be depending on other mods to provide a massively powerful suit of armor just to be able to breathe for a few seconds in an age.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft shouldn't be depending on other mods to provide a massively powerful suit of armor just to be able to breathe for a few seconds in an age.
Except. the ages we are talking about won't exist unless said mods are already installed.
Q-suit is part of IC2, and hydrogen is part of gregtech. methane is part of gretech too. come to think about it most of the high energy liquids apart from lava, oil and biomass are from gregtech.
Gregtech is a IC2 addon mod, so no Q.suit means no gregtech either. thus no hydrogen ocean age.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

So you suggest that MystCraft add a whole new collection of mechanics to balance possible instability? Such as, say, pages that add instability so you can control the type of instability that you get to make it more manageable? Because, if so, that is how MystCraft deals with instability at this point. That, and by telling you to not "be greedy", which is really good advice if you don't have a suit of armor able to resolve your issues.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
So you suggest that MystCraft add a whole new collection of mechanics to balance possible instability?
No, not really, I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just saying, if Mystcraft is ever intended to be stand-alone (not depending on having any other mod installed) - and I do not know whether this is the intent - any instability created by a single symbol should be survivable using only vanilla + Mystcraft mechanics. If adding the "oil seas" symbol to an otherwise completely stable age results in instadeath, the symbol might as well not exist. Without other mods it basically creates an inaccessible age. If, on the other hand, every single symbol (not necessarily every combination of symbols!) is to some degree viable in vanilla, the addition of mod armors will remove most of the penalties and turn it into a basically free resources age.

Yes, I am aware of the different types and levels of instability, I am using it here as an abstract term. If you want to be more precise, replace it with "most survivable form of instability that you can manage to get by writing other symbols".

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
"most survivable form of instability that you can manage to get by writing other symbols".

Hopefully, that stays fairly low as to discourage greedy people from being greedy without preparing themselves for the ramifications of said greed.

In reality, the only instability that is a major issue is white decay, and then, only if you don't make sure to have a bunch of regeneration potions to offset damage done via instability. Then you should be able to outrun it and mine tendrils of whatever ore you have set up, even in vanilla.

It won't be easy, but it surely is survivable.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
No, not really, I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just saying, if Mystcraft is ever intended to be stand-alone (not depending on having any other mod installed) - and I do not know whether this is the intent - any instability created by a single symbol should be survivable using only vanilla + Mystcraft mechanics. If adding the "oil seas" symbol to an otherwise completely stable age results in instadeath, the symbol might as well not exist. Without other mods it basically creates an inaccessible age. If, on the other hand, every single symbol (not necessarily every combination of symbols!) is to some degree viable in vanilla, the addition of mod armors will remove most of the penalties and turn it into a basically free resources age.

Yes, I am aware of the different types and levels of instability, I am using it here as an abstract term. If you want to be more precise, replace it with "most survivable form of instability that you can manage to get by writing other symbols".

Symbols that add a mod item to a world as part it's function, is per definition already a mod dependent symbol. this symbol is therefore going to be worthless when that particular mod is not installed. Fact is. mystcraft already takes this into account, so your world will never have a symbol that entails the spawning of a mod added item or resource unless the mod that added it is present. there are therefore no reason for the instabilities that belongs to those particular symbols to appear either.
Mystcraft already is a stand alone mod, in that it works fine without any other mod installed.
by default, the only symbol that adds instability, is the dense ores symbol. it adds a random one from a list of available instability effects. the mod based symbols could just as easily have a custom set of instabilities added to all worlds they are used in. that way an oil ocean world will always have a poison effect for instance.

I am thinking that there is some kind of confusion over what i actually suggested going on here.
If that is the case, then ask and, And i will try to clarify what i was trying to express in mere words in what is to me a foreign language.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I am thinking that there is some kind of confusion over what i actually suggested going on here.
If that is the case, then ask and, And i will try to clarify what i was trying to express in mere words in what is to me a foreign language.

Your suggestion was clear enough, and while not a bad idea, you'll find that the MystCraft forums (http://binarymage.com/forum/) are the best place to make suggestions regarding MystCraft.

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is an old thread, but it's the first result on a Google search for "Mystcraft Oil" or "Mystcraft Oil Sea".

There is an oil symbol now that adds instability. It has to be with a sea biome. It kinda screwed up all my other modifiers, and for some reason the world is covered in Basalt with the oil sea beneath it. I had a stable age but then replaced "Single Biome Desert" with "Single Biome Oil Ocean". It might could go somewhere else, but meh. Instability was slowness and scorched earth. Not a problem, I just made a house and put the pump inside it. Fire and forget.

Edit: Crap, nevermind. Decay ate the whole world.