Mystcraft Help Please

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
So I've begun creating my own ages. I've found probably 40 or so pages, so now I'm experimenting. I watched Direwolf's guide to Mystcraft, and was sad to find that his method isn't working for me...
Here's an age I made, all the pages were in this exact order, just like how the video showed you should do this.

Plains biome
Single biome
Iron ore
Standard terrain
Bright
Magenta
Normal sun
Green
Normal stars
Red
Normal moon
No weather
Clear modifiers

The problem is that my sun wasn't magenta, my stars weren't green, my moon wasn't red, and there was no iron ore anywhere to be seen. I dug in the ground for a while, found a little copper, but there was no obvious iron ore anywhere.
My understanding is that the modifier goes BEFORE the thing it's modifying, which I've done in the terrain, moon, sun, and stars, none of which worked. Also, I understand that when you place a page, it has to enact somewhere, unless it's contradicting. Considering my iron ore isn't conflicting, and obviously the plains biome still worked with the standard terrain (there was no break, and iron ore was in the middle), the iron ore should have worked, but didn't.

Also, I have added dungeons, and I don't see any dungeons. Am I missing something?

A final question is what exactly pages like "Iron Ore" apply to? They don't work for terrain type or obelisks. I know they should work for tendrils, but I haven't found that yet, just wondering if these types of material pages work for anything else.

Thanks for the help, I'd just really like to understand how to use this mod, lots of fun.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Iron one only works on tendrils, actually.
Dungeons should be added, but they aren't super common to begin with, and I do believe you place the symbols which modify before what they're modifying.
I haven't written any ages yet, actually, but I know for a fact your dungeons would be hard to find as you didn't add Caves or Ravines, which would do wonders for exposing them.
Plus, I recall from earlier versions of the mod that you could add some symbols more then once without instability. Dungeons is one of them.
As a heads up, Here's the wiki page for symbols, which likely will be of more use then me.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still learning the new system myself, so I can't really help you. However, it does appear to be missing some things and produces an unstable ( slightly ) age. It has the same requirements as before, so you need something a couple features such as villages, glowstone crystals, etc.

Hopefully sometime or other xcomp can get more in-game help for making ages. Something like the thaumcraft lexicon would be fantastic. As you find pages, it could tell you how that page should be used. At the very least, I'd like to see the old categories return. At least then you could just go down the list "Yup, I've got that one covered." <shrug>

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that would be great.
I've tried adding the stuff like you said, and I can't seem to get dungeon, villages, or strongholds. Also, it still doesn't allow me to change the color of the sun, moon, or stars.
I managed to get nether fortresses though, so that's pretty sweet.

Cosmology27

Jul 29, 2019
And thanks to the above guy for the link. I've read all that stuff, doesn't really help me with my problems of the sun moon and stars... also, I had an xray texture pack on, and still couldn't find the dungeons, so maybe they are just super super rare?
but yeah I'd love to figure out how to color things properly.

DaWhiskers

Jul 29, 2019
Previously, in order to get dungeons, you needed to also add caves as dungeons need to spawn off caves.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still learning the new system myself, so I can't really help you. However, it does appear to be missing some things and produces an unstable ( slightly ) age. It has the same requirements as before, so you need something a couple features such as villages, glowstone crystals, etc. <shrug>

It doesn't actually need villages or glowstone crystals

It's just essential things that a world can't go without. So, a world can go without dungeons villages or crystals, however, it can't go without a sun moon, or some sort of time. That's the classifications on how a world is designed to be stable or not, if it's missing something it Needs.