My Regrowth Base - can you help me with a problem I have?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kalagorn

Jul 29, 2019
I want to show you a few screens of my Regrowth base, and ask for help on a mentality problem I have always had playing Minecraft. (The Regrowth screens are just to illustrate the problem, so don't dwell on them too much)

My fields. On the left I do essences and on the right food.

2015-09-11_16.47.42.png

My botania setup. Endoflames fed by open crates fed by a hopper fed manually with coal.

2015-09-11_16.47.49.png

My animals. I only have the one chicken right now.

2015-09-11_16.47.53.png

My tech. It is really devoid right now, just the smeltery really.

2015-09-11_16.48.06.png

My chests. I will upgrade them eventually.

2015-09-11_16.48.15.png

This is what I do for all my seeds.
2015-09-11_16.48.31.png

As you can see, compared to most other people my base is very small and content is sparse. Automation is almost non-existent.
I have always had a problem with dedication to Minecraft which annoys me a lot. Even with HQM packs (which I thought would fix the problem) I find it hard to focus on one thing for a long while. This problem is, funnily enough, not evident in games like Terraria. Only Minecraft.

I can't just sit down and play for a long period of time and then at the end of a playthrough be kitted out with all the best stuff. I tend to blow through all the easy stuff and then quit because of boredom, which I find annoying because I actually want to get right to the endgame and have an awesome base, gear, RF through the roof, etc, etc.

I am sorry if this seems a bit rant-like. I have always had this problem, ever since I started Minecraft, but I have never had the courage to talk about it.
Is there anything that I could do so that I can really dedicate and focus on Minecraft?

Reactions: malicious_bloke

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing wrong with bouncing between projects. Revisit old ones and bring them along to the next level, when you get bored move along to something else. My current goal in my pack is to make the RC fusion reactor. I'm miles away. Meanwhile I'm AE automating everything. And I have no roof yet either :)

Main goal is it to have fun. Everything else serves that.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Watching lets play series helped me with that because knowledge is the First step on the ladder to end game

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
The game is going to be very boring unless you either like to set up complicated automation and/or build stuff.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I would say your focus is wrong if it is on the tech alone. Make it part of your build. But don't make it the goal of your build. I'm not the best builder by far. But I find that if I take the time to make it look good then I like the game much better and my focus stays longer. Take your current build and make a couple of smaller goals. For one find some way to still light your base but get rid of anything that looks like the standard torch. The second to do something with the walls. Make them stand out. Add color, depth and texture. Make the game about building not about the tech.

See the spoliers for some shots from my current Infinity build
2015-09-11_20.33.45.png

2015-09-11_20.33.45.png

2015-09-11_20.34.28.png
2015-09-11_20.38.52.png

2015-09-11_20.39.04.png
2015-09-11_20.32.48.png
2015-09-11_20.32.59.png

The point is find ways to add creativity to your builds. Look at real world photos, shots from movies or videos games. Use them for building ideas. When I was building these I would take different blocks (creative single player is great for this) and just place them around and on each other just to get a feel for what colors and textures I was looking for.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
First tip: Forget 'end-game'. It's not really worth it as an ideal. With competing mods making the end-game a constantly moving goal, regardless of what you count as 'end-game' it's not really a good thing to aim for. Flight? Easy once you get a Division Sigil. (Presuming you got it from the Wither) Easier still if you only need a jet pack. Infinite RF? A reactor, or turbine. Heck, even a basic tree farm will keep you in power up to your ears forever.

I say nuts to that. I always have a plan in mind for my worlds. My current world is based around using trains to move things around. Quarries don't pump into Tesseracts. They dump into huge banks of Item Loaders, and those dump into a train. Power is provided by a High Pressure Liquid Fueled Boiler running on Forestry Biofuel. That's shipped in by train. (It gets to the train via Ender Tank because the fuel production facility is so tightly packed there's no room for a cart based system.) I'm currently shipping in oil to the main base, and looking for a good place to build an oil rig.

Reactions: Aetherpirate

Kalagorn

Jul 29, 2019
First tip: Forget 'end-game'. It's not really worth it as an ideal. With competing mods making the end-game a constantly moving goal, regardless of what you count as 'end-game' it's not really a good thing to aim for. Flight? Easy once you get a Division Sigil. (Presuming you got it from the Wither) Easier still if you only need a jet pack. Infinite RF? A reactor, or turbine. Heck, even a basic tree farm will keep you in power up to your ears forever.

I say nuts to that. I always have a plan in mind for my worlds. My current world is based around using trains to move things around. Quarries don't pump into Tesseracts. They dump into huge banks of Item Loaders, and those dump into a train. Power is provided by a High Pressure Liquid Fueled Boiler running on Forestry Biofuel. That's shipped in by train. (It gets to the train via Ender Tank because the fuel production facility is so tightly packed there's no room for a cart based system.) I'm currently shipping in oil to the main base, and looking for a good place to build an oil rig.

I guess that's my problem then, because I'm not that great at planning out entire worlds. I find it very boring, but you do raise a good point.
I need a solid point that always exists for me to aim towards, which is why I can play Terraria for a 50 hour playthrough when I feel like playing it, but when I feel like playing Minecraft, even though I want to play for 50 hours, I only reach 15-25 if I'm lucky.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Minecraft is all about 'never done that'. I've never built a castle. It's on my to do list. I've never completely hollowed out a mountain and made a base. On my to do list. I've never fought the Wither. On my to do list.

You don't necessarily have to plan an entire world. I did it because I wanted a specific place to lay down the roots of my train yard, so I needed a reasonably large flat area.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Is there anything that I could do so that I can really dedicate and focus on Minecraft?
Not familiar with Regrowth, and this might be a bit "Captain Obvious", but try to find the path of least resistance forward from where you currently are (using let's plays etc).

Try to find one thing that is reasonably interesting, with a decent effort vs. reward ratio, and make an effort to focus on that. Ore doubling, better storage, some type of exploration, etc. Making some clear progress (however you define that) without burning out in the process, can provide better motivation to keep going.

Having that said, never push yourself to play if you're not enjoying it. It will only make it worse. There will be some ups and downs, but if you find yourself clicking away at something that only feels like a chore, switch to some other game for a while.

jazzadellic

Jul 29, 2019
I found watching let's play videos gave me plenty of ideas of what to work on. Maybe you should try playing multiplayer? Have any friends you can make a server with? There's no real point to MC other than to derp around and see what crazy stuff you can build and check out the millions of crazy mods.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

End game is being near to the limit of content and things to do within a mod, pack or the whole game itself. The amount of things you can do are finite in each pack no matter how creative you are.
Of course being creative does extend the game by a factor of ten.
But there is an end game. Once you are at a point where there is no more new things to experience or learn you are at end game.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk