My Problem with Minecraft Recently

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get around it. Basically, my problem is that I simply can't get started. I get bored EXTREMELY quickly with mining and the other beginning stuff. I just want to skip to the point where I have automated mining stuff. I like dealing with limited resources, so I don't use creative mode, but I hate how long it takes me to START doing stuff. I always feel like I don't have direction with that. It's part of why I play challenge maps like FTB: I have a clear-cut goal, limited resources, and I don't have to mine after the first cobble gen. It's basically everything I could want EXCEPT the proper base-building.

So what do you do to get yourself through the first tedious days in Minecraft? I need some advice :/

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What you describe is what I just did for the past month. It was only this weekend that I finally achieved my "apparent" goal of building many ultimate hybrid solars (I think I have 11 of them now). It took me one solid month of play at FTB Ultimate to get to this point. Kinda cool to look back and reminisce about my own Day 1 and how I got to where I am now.

I said "apparent" goal, because I really didn't know that this WAS my goal. Until I reached it. So how do I know it must have been my goal all along? Because....... all of a sudden, I'm really bored of the world I've worked so long and so hard on. It's kind of sad. I'm not sure if it's just "burnout" or what, but it seems that once I got to the point where I can make anything with UU matter and power supply is no longer any issue at all... I've lost my interest.

You, on the other hand, appear to be saying that you're bored with your world on the very first day of play? I don't understand that. The very first day of playing a new world is the best time! It only goes downhill from day 1, IMO. On Day 1, everything is new. Everything is unexplored. Everything is exciting!

I hear ya about being bored with mining, but I think that's what motivates us to build all the machines and try to figure out how to automate them all. At least it motivates me. But that doesn't mean I hate mining. Right now, with all my high level end-game gear, going caving/mining/exploring is pretty much risk-free. You want boring? THAT IS BORING!! That's why I'm bored with the game. It's too easy now. There's nothing left to achieve really, except just to play the game for fun or for creativity.

I'd love to go back, start a new world, and have that feeling of Day 1 again. But I just can't do it. I spend far too much time playing this game, I need a break from it I think. LOL Good luck OP.

Reactions: potop999

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it sounds like you guys have a case of the Minecraft burnout. Go check out some other cool games, give it a month, or three. Minecraft will definitely still be here when you get the itch again.

Reactions: Museli

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
Go play some GTA Online. Countless hours of entertainment if you try landing things on peoples heads. I'm waiting for 1.6.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
get some Mining Turtles and use them to do the grunt work. It's very easy to have a turtle by the end of the first night or before the second night.
I actually detest manual mining for more than terraforming and gathering easy access ores.
While that turtle is gathering resources I am making wheat/reed/cow.....farms. Check out a cave or two for some easy upper level resources.
It's fairly easy to expand on the turtles. Once you get one getting you enough for a second one, those will gather even more resources.

Look at different mods that I haven't used before.

I don't see FTB having any more of a goal than Vanilla MC so I set up my own objectives. By the time I have even come close to finishing one I already have 2 or 3 more objectives set.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I've been thinking along these lines recently: I hadn't played Minecraft for ages (a certain server-crashing bug Mindcrack's stuck with put me off), but enough time's passed that I could stomach starting a new world.

Although I didn't go with it (because I wasn't sure how often I'd be playing), I decided that it'd probably be easiest in terms of skipping the "diggy-hole" stage to hunt down a pre-established server. A player who's really "got it all" (or at least, everything else they want) typically jumps at the chance of having a newbie to "sponsor".

I wouldn't advise taking advantage of this unless you already have specific plans as to what you'll do with those resources, and know just how far ahead you want them to boost you. If you get given a bunch of stuff and find you're then bored because you've nothing left to work on, you're no further ahead and you've probably ticked off your sponsor too (as their "payment" is to see what you do with them). If you can't think of anything, then playing something else is the better choice.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I go through that phase as well...but I tend to get past it pretty quickly just by making sure I always have a goal in mind (or a few). You mention you like to play adventure maps because they have a clear goal. Well, why don't you create your own goals?

Goal 1: Build initial 'starter hut'...not dirt, look nice
Goal 2: Intermediate Machines for futher goals
Goal 3: Build something huge (right now my goal is a large skyscraper)
Goal 4: etc

These goals can be anything you want, but I find that setting goals gets you back into the game as you have something to focus on. It also has the added benefit of getting to spend more time on side projects. For example, while building my skyscraper, I decided I wanted to power it with a nuclear reactor (or 4), which brought about the issue of needing more uranium, so I decided to breed some Radioactive bees, which required a bee infrustructure and a few days to breed them, etc. So, I've been going stead on my skyscraper for almost 2 months now...and it's forked off into plenty of other projects as well, storage systems, lighting, material collection automation, etc.

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get around it. Basically, my problem is that I simply can't get started. I get bored EXTREMELY quickly with mining and the other beginning stuff. I just want to skip to the point where I have automated mining stuff. I like dealing with limited resources, so I don't use creative mode, but I hate how long it takes me to START doing stuff. I always feel like I don't have direction with that. It's part of why I play challenge maps like FTB: I have a clear-cut goal, limited resources, and I don't have to mine after the first cobble gen. It's basically everything I could want EXCEPT the proper base-building.

So what do you do to get yourself through the first tedious days in Minecraft? I need some advice :/

how bout you take break and play gta 5 for your channel until you want to play minecraft and ftb again[DOUBLEPOST=1381761600][/DOUBLEPOST]or maybe try automating with railcraft

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I fixed my problem. I grabbed the Resonant Rises pack from the AT Launcher, set up ForgeIRC, and now I sit and chat in #rr while I play. Keeps my mind off the boring stuff, and the Underground Biomes thing makes mining more interesting. I'm also doing it blind to most of the changes in the packs, so I'll have to discover them without the wiki. Aaand last but not least, I'm going to start with Thaumcraft 4 and MFR, instead of my usual TE or IC2. I might also explore MineChem a bit, because why not? Wish me luck xD

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
TC4 research is INTENSE before you find out how it works :3 good luck with that, but it's fun when you get the hang of it.

Took me something around a day to get most of the research.

A few tips:
  1. Most of the stuff is much easier to make now. Make and research everything you research. You'll get more research than you've spent that way.
  2. Make the basic combo aspects, go research everything you can around your base, make all of the combo aspects, and go on a adventure before you really begin!
  3. Research all the vanilla tools. From wood to gold of every type, it helps immensely. Also copper tools, they all contain permutatio.
  4. Did you know you can research items you toss on the ground?
  5. Some things have an item form and a block form. Like redstone, you can research both. Other small differences in ID's or metadata sometimes work as well even if it seems like the same item to you. Research all the things!
gl/hf

Reactions: RedBoss

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to allow myself to carry materials from previous worlds. This means I take all my bee serums with me, along with my golems and mining equipment.

Once I get tired of world hopping, I go play Skyrim, Kerbal Space Program, TF2, Civilization V, sometimes I even play the game called Outside.

If you do something enough, it gets boring. Set yourself some long term goals, like Direwolf. He worked toward having a bee system that automatically creates new species for him and refills the serums. If automation isn't your goal, do something like collect every type of Forestry tree and plant them.

Ausyarr

Jul 29, 2019
Hey mate, I sorta had your problem as one point so I looked for ftb mod things that can be done early in game and I was surprised by how many things there are. look up things like watering can, tinkers construct ( the early tools), minium stone, grind stone ( AE ), crops from IC2, the packager from factorization.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to allow myself to carry materials from previous worlds. This means I take all my bee serums with me, along with my golems and mining equipment.

Once I get tired of world hopping, I go play Skyrim, Kerbal Space Program, TF2, Civilization V, sometimes I even play the game called Outside.

If you do something enough, it gets boring. Set yourself some long term goals, like Direwolf. He worked toward having a bee system that automatically creates new species for him and refills the serums. If automation isn't your goal, do something like collect every type of Forestry tree and plant them.

I often thought of doing the same, because some things are just a pain in the arse to do over, but in the end I always ended up starting all over

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012

I've gotten so bored with the early beginning stuff that I now skip right over it in every new world. I just go into creative and build a quarry (usually with just the default small size) and let it mine down to bedrock, dumping everything into chests and barrels with translocators. Then I destroy everything I cheated in except for the barrels and chests of stuff, and just start from there.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I've gotten so bored with the early beginning stuff that I now skip right over it in every new world. I just go into creative and build a quarry (usually with just the default small size) and let it mine down to bedrock, dumping everything into chests and barrels with translocators. Then I destroy everything I cheated in except for the barrels and chests of stuff, and just start from there.

You are roleplaying a castaway from a very rich transport ship :)

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
You are roleplaying a castaway from a very rich transport ship :)

I'm pretty much roleplaying a shipwreck survivor who melts down whatever's left of the ship for scrap metal. Not necessarily rich though, depending on the quarry's yield. I don't use any landmarks to increase its size, so I only mine out a fairly small 9x9 area. Sometimes I completely miss the rarer resources like gold or diamond.

What's really fun is trying to figure out how much of the early-game stuff I can skip with just one 9x9 quarry's worth of materials. Rather than giving myself a set amount of specific resources, there's a little randomness introduced. Sometimes I get enough to set up a simple manual ore processing system and very little else. Sometimes I get enough to build a fully-powered and semi-automated system. Sometimes I get some obsidian too so I can jump straight into the Nether. If I'm lucky, I get some diamonds and gold so I can build a legit quarry right off the bat. Sometimes I get no redstone at all and I have to go mine manually for a while until I find some. The randomness makes things fun and less repetitive, because I start each world a little differently based on what resources I have available.

Reactions: MigukNamja

The classless

Jul 29, 2019

off topic but I love KSP

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
off topic but I love KSP

Its amazing game and actually does teach you about physics and space travel. I prefer to build planes though, I haven't mastered circularizing orbits and transfers. Instead I just make planes with insane amounts of thrust and intakes. My record is 5000m/s, I pulled up and I flew right past the first 3 planets with no rockets.

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
Its amazing game and actually does teach you about physics and space travel. I prefer to build planes though, I haven't mastered circularizing orbits and transfers. Instead I just make planes with insane amounts of thrust and intakes. My record is 5000m/s, I pulled up and I flew right past the first 3 planets with no rockets.
My record is orbiting a small orbiter around kerban