My new PC's temperature

winVIP

Jul 29, 2019
Well I bought a new PC, but I didn't buy a 3rd party cooler for my CPU. Where I live in the summer It gets to about to 31 degrees Celsius. So when I play a game like Thief the temperature gets to 76 degrees Celsius. I checked the some sites and it says that my Intel 4670k (not overclocked) CPU should run at 72 degrees optimally. So tell me should I buy a cooler or is it not worth it? If i should please suggest some models and I wont buy a water cooling system.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Without knowing what CPU you have .. its hard to tell what cooler to get.

How big is your case? and how much can you afford to spend?

Reactions: Beeze23

Beeze23

Jul 29, 2019
Air cooler should be fine. May want to supplement it with better case fans. As kittle said -- without knowing your motherboard/case space situation it's hard to recommend a specific one.

I'm somewhere with 35c+ temps and my AC is busted, but my computer manages to stay within reasonable temps (core temps under 65c). I'm using a *huge* Zalman cooler and a high-speed case fan.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Well I bought a new PC, but I didn't buy a 3rd party cooler for my CPU. Where I live in the summer It gets to about to 31 degrees Celsius. So when I play a game like Thief the temperature gets to 76 degrees Celsius. I checked the some sites and it says that my Intel 4670k (not overclocked) CPU should run at 72 degrees optimally. So tell me should I buy a cooler or is it not worth it? If i should please suggest some models and I wont buy a water cooling system.

even with ambient temps like 31, you shouldn't be seeing 72c. i would re-seat your cooler with some fresh thermal grease (using the proper amount), sometimes they come from the factory with too much, too little, or it's all dried up.

72c is too high for comfort imo. even 65 as another poster said is still a bit higher than I like to see. I've got my system set to beep horribly at 60.

Beeze23

Jul 29, 2019
even with ambient temps like 31, you shouldn't be seeing 72c. i would re-seat your cooler with some fresh thermal grease (using the proper amount), sometimes they come from the factory with too much, too little, or it's all dried up.

72c is too high for comfort imo. even 65 as another poster said is still a bit higher than I like to see. I've got my system set to beep horribly at 60.

Depends on processor. I have an old core2quad 3.0G (q9650) and it's just fine with those temperatures. Setting the beep to 60 would drive me insane.

The Op's 4670k will tend to run even hotter than mine but I still wouldn't run it with a stock cooler -- they run hotter because Intel switched to thermal glue instead of solder to hold the cover on.

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on processor. I have an old core2quad 3.0G (q9650) and it's just fine with those temperatures. Setting the beep to 60 would drive me insane.

The Op's 4670k will tend to run even hotter than mine but I still wouldn't run it with a stock cooler -- they run hotter because Intel switched to thermal glue instead of solder to hold the cover on.
Well, considering the max die temp for the 4670 is 72c, 60c would be plenty hot for me. Here's the spec sheet for your processor, and the max die temp on it is even lower.

but It's your hardware man, do what you want with it. ;)

Last edited:

Beeze23

Jul 29, 2019
Well, considering the max die temp for the 4670 is 72c, 60c would be plenty hot for me. Here's the spec sheet for your processor, and the max die temp on it is even lower.

but It's your hardware man, do what you want with it. ;)

That's Tcase (external temp) not the "die temperature". Which for the Q9650 Tjmax is 100c.

5bJ97My.jpg

Intel is horrible about actually including that in their datasheets for reasons that elude me, you either have to find it on Google or use software.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
That's Tcase (external temp) not the "die temperature". Which for the Q9650 Tjmax is 100c.

Intel is horrible about actually including that in their datasheets for reasons that elude me, you either have to find it on Google or use software.
It's the maximum temperature of the "case" (aka outside) of the processor. For intel processors, it's dead center of the metal cover.

You are absolutely correct. However, the Tjunction temp is the temp at which the processor starts to throttle to prevent damage. This does not mean that this is a safe temperature to operate at, or even approach.

On desktop processors we still go by the TCase number as max "safe" temp to operate at. Obviously the temps are going to be a lot hotter at the core (Tjunction comes into play here). The reason being that the diode that measures the temperature is between the IHS and core, and is calibrated to read the temps it does. On mobile processors or processors without an IHS it's different, since there is no heat differential between the IHS and the core(s).

So I do apologize for using the word "die" I could have been far more specific.

TLDR; All of the numbers are important. Not just one.

Reactions: Beeze23

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
On most modern processors you wont get any problems, damage, intentional slow downs till you reach 140F+, though its generally better to stay around 60-125F. I'm American, and lazy, not doing the Celsius conversion :p

Beeze23

Jul 29, 2019
On most modern processors you wont get any problems, damage, intentional slow downs till you reach 140F+, though its generally better to stay around 60-125F. I'm American, and lazy, not doing the Celsius conversion :p

type c to f in google, that'll give you a calculator :p