My Little "Picture-Through" Mark Two

MrCowle

Jul 29, 2019
I agree that the crag biome is awesome, save the sky. I hate biomes without the normal sky!

on another note, what will you be using for the sugarcane for the reactant dynamo, in terms of a farm? I've never gone that path before. Will it be manual or is there a good machine for it, besides the vanilla piston farm? I'd assume that the MFR machine would harvest the original sugarcane you placeb, and never let the it grow. So, how does it work? Thanks!

Reactions: PhantomRage

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
I agree that the crag biome is awesome, save the sky. I hate biomes without the normal sky!

on another note, what will you be using for the sugarcane for the reactant dynamo, in terms of a farm? I've never gone that path before. Will it be manual or is there a good machine for it, besides the vanilla piston farm? I'd assume that the MFR machine would harvest the original sugarcane you placeb, and never let the it grow. So, how does it work? Thanks!

I never did think of using a piston farm, actually. I was planning to use a MFR Harvester to harvest the sugarcane when it grew, and then convert it into sugar using a Pulverizer (2 sugar per sugar cane that way). If I construct it properly, it should be self-sufficient. I must admit though, running too many machines using this setup does lead to a net loss of power, so if you could, it would be better to use Magmatics for constant power, as reeds do take a while to grow and sugar may run out, and animals may not poop as fast. In my previous Picture-Through, the entire system worked like so, if I could find those pictures...

/Initializing nostalgia mode\

ZPxSmxw.png

Basically, the sugar from the farm comes through the top via Itemducts on Round Robin mode after it has been run through a Pulverizer running off the power generated by the Dynamos themselves, so the system does need a kickstarter. Sewage is coming through the behind via Fluiducts thanks to enslaved Cows, Pigs, and Sheep. The power is then running to wherever it is needed. However, the system didn't produce quite enough sugar to keep my engines running with the high power demands my system was using (was still running a power-hungry MFR Tree Farm powered by Fertilizer [extra sewage] at the time), as well as an AE system, so engine outages were frequent for me.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Since you're running monster, you should have JABBA already. Just place a chest in the center of a Factorization barrel pattern.

If you're worried about the speed of the canes, divert some of your poop to a fertilizer. That'll speed it up to ensure you've got enough to work with. And if you put large enough upgrades in the sewers, they'll overlap, and provide a lot of sewage.

Cool trick: You can use the Precision Sledge to see the area MFR machines harvest.

Last edited:

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
Since you're running monster, you should have JABBA already. Just place a chest in the center of a Factorization barrel pattern.

If you're worried about the speed of the canes, divert some of your poop to a fertilizer. That'll speed it up to ensure you've got enough to work with. And if you put large enough upgrades in the sewers, they'll overlap, and provide a lot of sewage.

Cool trick: You can use the Precision Sledge to see the area MFR machines harvest.
Derp. I didn't bother to search Better Barrel. Oh well, I'll fix my mistake later on! :p

True, I could send some poop/fertilizer to my sugarcane farm if need be! From what I remember, overlapping Sewers automatically shut down, but it might have changed. I doubt overlapping sewers would allow for magically creating poop from nowhere! :p. Yep, the Sledgehammer trick is pretty cool. It will help a considerate amount in my MFR building!

When we last left off, PhantomRage created TiC tools to replace his regular durability-bound tools, and discovered the greatness of Cinnabar and the Induction Smelter.

tFDSuj3.png

So, I decided to create a Hatchet for my axe needs. I could have made a Mattock instead, but I'd rather also have the leaf-destroying ability of the Hatchet. The entirety of one side of my residential area is covered with bunches of Oak Trees both large and small. I will have to clear some of them if I ever wish to expand. The tool is composed of a Cobalt Axe Head and a Manyullun Rod. There is a Moss upgrade and two Redstone Upgrades, and I must say, the speed is quite decent for an axe. Or hatchet.

fTv813p.png

To try to start my Reactant Dynamo setup, I needed to find some sugarcane in the wild to generate the actual sugar. Other reactants are either un-renewable, or far too late-game for me to make them renewable. I scoured the world to find some of these elusive canes, and in around ten minutes of travelling, I found only three. However, they will grow, and they shall make me more of their kind for RF purposes. It might be quite heart-breaking to see that their children are being converted into something else via harsh pulverization, but no matter! PhantomRage is sure that they will be glad their children have had the honor of creating RF!

YWCsWoK.png

So, I decided to look at a Ravine that was nearby, and I was quite shocked and surprised. I saw IC2(3?) ores jutting out of the sides. I think I know why the configuration files are suddenly working. It was probably the fact that I did a desktop cleanup, and accidentally moved some things I shouldn't have. Well, I guess newly-generated chunks will have plenty of ores for mining! Although, I was quite mineral-rich without the amplified ore generation. However, I am not the person who shies away from opportunities! I will have to consider placing a few Boring Machines or some sort of quarrying device here when I get the proper technology.

FJ8Z9o6.png

I feel like this is 'too much'. But then I realize that I was never the person to ever want anything balanced. However, due to my Pickaxe being more or less at half-durability (maybe some morality for the imbalance of ores as well), I decided to leave the ores intact. You may notice that my Pickaxe has the Moss modifier on it now. I decided to use a Gold Block + Diamond to make room for the Moss modifier, as I realized that the durability was running quite low from a ~30 minute Nether mining trip. I wasn't concerned about speed, as the pickaxe was already at 24 block-breaking speed. Nonetheless, I may have urinated in my pants a little here.

nzYQKNZ.png

I decided to create a Golden Bag of Holding to hold some tools and bags that I did not need currently. I must say, though, this is the cleanest inventory I ever remember having other than respawning. I should really think about investing in more Golden Bags and Ender Pouches later on and in other worlds. I suddenly feel so much lighter; I now understand and share the benefits of a clean inventory like you guys now! :D

In our next adventures, PhantomRage makes a Poop Factory where he will imprisonask animals for Poop for his Poop+Sugar Power Plant, as well as creating a miniature reed farm to make more reeds! Such is the life of the PhantomRage. Imprisoning animals purely for poop.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Just a reminder, in case you forgot this from the previous thread, using a Pulverizer for Sugar is wasteful compared to just crafting 1 sugar cane into 1 sugar. True, 2 sugar from one can, not a bad deal, right? Costs way more RF for the two sugar from one cane then it does for 1 sugar per cane.
Also, SFM is a badass sugarcane farm solution. One can make a cable that detects the sugar cane and breaks it. Might take either a bundled cable or clever cabling to detect the sugarcane when it reaches a certain height, but that's hardly a issue. Neither choice really is stupid.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Strap an Engineer's Toolbox solar generator on top of the Pulverizer and it's free. :D
Free, only costs a modular socket, and the solar upgrade, and a power output upgrade. Seriously, at that point, may as well use Engineers Toolbox for the whole farm, forget the Pulverizer straight up. Well, one can't grind the sugar with it nor craft it into sugar either, but the farm itself can be done with just Engineers Toolbox.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Well, costs to build it, but once you're through that it runs forever with no more maintenance.

Of course my auto-cane farm is a two sugarcane to either side of a piece of cactus, so that when they grow up, the cactus breaks them and they get sucked into a vacuum hopper. Same with cactus though a regular block works there. Usually the hopper grabs the items before they hit the cactus and get destroyed. Simple, clean and barely vanilla.

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick update, due to me recently picking up Europa Universalis IV, there may not be updates to this Picture-Through in a while, as I am currently fighting multiple wars and preparing for annexation of my vassals. I love Europa Universalis IV so far!

Reactions: buggirlexpres