My Little "Picture-Through" Mark Two

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
I find that sometimes, when I play other games different than Minecraft, I start getting a boredom meter. Letting that boredom meter rise for long enough can bring back the will to go back into the lands of Minecraftia and post my failures on the Internet for everyone to see. I am glad to announce that the failure-train shall be reborn again!

My last picture-through world got a bit *boring*. I already had everything a bit too soon. I will try to focus on the agricultural/building side this time around. The only problem is, I have no idea how to make nice constructions. Well, I'll learn along the way!

My game settings consist of highly boosted ores via IC2 config and COFH world configs. I also added a few mods and removed a few mods, with FTB Monster as the base pack being used. I will play on Easy mode, as I am quite the weakling when it comes to combat. I am paranoid of every spot in a cave which is dark. Probably stems from my fear of elemental creepers from the good old Yogcraft 1.2.5 (or further behind) days when Thaumcraft 2 was still in full swing, and diamond tools were still a thing.

This time around, hopefully I will actually learn how to properly comment and dialogue my own images, and reduce my unnecessary image count, for I have failed in both of those areas so far. I would love constructive criticism if one of my ideas could be improved, for I cannot get any sort of aesthetic or mechanic construction correct!

If you really want to look, here's my first "Picture-Through". Warning: Lots of unprofessional-ism and unnecessary pictures!
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/my-little-picture-through.38834/

Mod(s) Added :
VeinMiner (gotta love me time-saving tactics!)

Mods Removed :
ATG (I figure from reading some other forum posts that this increases lag by a bit. Not ideal in my situation of playing on a FPS-consuming pack :p)
BetterStorage (This mod has a cool idea, but I'm sticking with IronChests; it's what I'm used to)
Opis (I never get around to using it)
qCraft (Nice mod, but I'll probably never use it due to forgetfulness :()
Sync (To be honest, I'll probably never use clones. I'll probably have god-armor by the time I find emeralds, which I never have luck in finding :p)

Let us begin adventuring and pillaging searching the world of P.T. #2!

I apologize, for I did not take screenshots of the starting spawn location. But I can tell you, however, that there was seven HSLA Steel Ingots in the bonus chest. I later crafted them into a Steel Sword, Pickaxe, and HSLA Steel Shears, as I am tired of killing sheep, and a shovel would be nearly useless. In hindsight, I should probably have saved the two ingots, but meh. :p

C6PzXnM.png

I have traveled for many long, harsh, grueling minutes to my new projected house location of the Godly Apple Fruit for Free Orchard (seriously, those apples really help, my food situation is secure!). I now realize there are flipping lightning creepers in this game.

Keep panic in control. Keep panic in control. Keep panic in control.

SVFOcxn.png

Okay, now onto the next subject at hand : my new living quarters, aka. my small shack.

Right now, my shack lacks any sort of windows. That will change, for my nearby sand beach will suffice in the creation of enough glass panes to protect my house from the baddies outside. Especially the creeper-that-shall-not-be-named. I know it is not an aesthetic masterpiece (yet), but I am quite proud of it. I will be even prouder when it is completed.

Oh, and yes, I know I used /time set 0, but let's face it. Nobody wants to wait until 7:00 to sleep in their bed (I already have a bed). Am I right?

iIm the only one aren't I. Crap. RIP public respect.

EbBhVNo.png

While on my sand-digging joyride, I stumbled across a sort of mini-gulf connected to the vast frozen icy ocean. It appears to be infested with algae. I am tempted to cut it all out for the concern of the imaginary fish swimming in the waters, but I think it can be utilized to generate power via Engineers Toolbox. Please correct me if I am wrong in this :p.

2sK2Noz.png

My house has now achieved beast-mode, for it has finally obtained windows with the valiant dedication of a single furnace utilizing lots of willow planks as fuel. I neglected the fact about finding a way to light the house which was aesthetically pleasing, so I had to tear out some of the glass panes and replace them with oak logs and stick torches on them. I cringe slightly whenever glass is broken, but my house is now illuminated and protected from the baddies on the outside!

LCafaTn.png

This is an outside view of my house. It may not seem pretty, but it will look at least not like a 9x9 when I'm fully done with construction. I neglected the fact that the ocean nearby was frozen over for some reason, but I will come up with a master plan on how to cure the ocean of its curse later on in the game when I can be supplied with infinite TNT.

ky5wHxO.png

Remember what I said about apple trees being god. I decided to plant a few saplings of them when I cut some of the apple trees down. Before I begin, I love the mod which makes leaves decay hyper-fast. Another time-saving method. I absolutely adore time-saving methods :D. I am drowning in apples right now, thanks to the generosity of the apple trees. They have saved me from resorting to the ultimate evil:

Peaceful Mode.

In our next adventures, PhantomRage derps up and screws over his shack's roof, and gets messed up pretty badly by a zombie who has taken up the hobby of fishing! What will happen next in these adventures?

Last edited:

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO has fairly cheap glass with connected textures. No pane type, but full glass blocks look nice to me. :)
Oh, and happy to see you start up again.
Thanks for the tip! I will look into this glass added by EnderIO (if I don't forget about it, that is... I hope i remember!) :).

sonofthelion

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to see you back @PhantomRage. Yes you should save the agile or collect some and let it grow back as there are things in engineers toolbox well more like gas craft that use it. At least you have a home I am still living in the side of the side of the hill where I spawned in (I should really fix that one of these days)

Reactions: PhantomRage

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I seriously need to keep an eye on this. Will new ones be posted here or somewhere else?

Sent From My HTC EVO SUPERSONIC Using Tapatalk 2

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to see you back @PhantomRage. Yes you should save the agile or collect some and let it grow back as there are things in engineers toolbox well more like gas craft that use it. At least you have a home I am still living in the side of the side of the hill where I spawned in (I should really fix that one of these days)
I was originally contemplating creating a dirt hole-in-the-ground, but I decided against it, as I had made far too many of those too often. You should see all my other worlds. You can find technologically advanced dirt holes in desolate plains where you suspiciously believe a maniac is at work. Thanks for the tip with algae, as well! :)

This picture-through is approved by QazCo.
(welcome back!)
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Didn't see the last one but you still helped me so thanks!

Sent From My HTC EVO SUPERSONIC Using Tapatalk 2
Oh, I should probably put the original Picture-Through in the initial forum page. Will do; here's a link to my prematurely-ended picture-through!

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/my-little-picture-through.38834/

When we last left off, PhantomRage was setting up a home-sweet-home in a godly orchard surrounded by a frozen ocean. He had just finished constructing his first house!

ZRkQ6lV.png

So, I thought making a nice roof for my house would be a good idea. Eventually, I may be able to put a Tesseract in the 'attic' that it would make which would theoretically be connected to my power generation facilities, factories, and other dream-like unachievable goals. However, I just now realize that this does not look very aesthetically pleasing. The logs sticking out compromise the entire structure, and I am forced to reconstruct it from scratch for the glory of Beautifulness.

00y07j8.png

*twitching lessens...*

Finally, my inner senses have been relieved, for the roof is fixed at last! I already lit up the insides of the pocket created to prevent any monsters from spawning in the small area to haunt my sleeps. There better not be fire creepers in this mod-pack. If there are...

WoIIm4f.png

At last, I have encountered what brave travelers call 'Mimichite'. It seems to have mysterious powers to double my output of nearly anything! I believe that this may prove to be useful further on into the game, as components will become increasingly more expensive to create, with Mimichite saving countless hours of labor. Other than that, I'll be saving it. It does not seem to be worth it to spend it on duplicating smelted ingots right now.

iBvlCdC.png

So, I was mining in a deep dark cave (cliche... Sadly, yes, I'm afraid), and I encountered this 'Flourite Fluorite Ore'. In the beginning, I believed it should be called the Rainbow Ore, for it has many colors within a single defined space. Once I broke it, however, I changed my mind drastically. I imagined to petition for a name-change to 'Fluorite Crystal Pinata Ore', for it gave great riches which are of no use to me right now and are an inventory hog. However, my Mining-OCD prevents me from throwing anything away which could be potentially useful, and I have to take an early trip to the surface to deposit my potential riches. I encountered a few more veins throughout the cave, but I have learned my lesson: Don't break the fluorite pinata ores until you get enough items to store items in. Hue.

rHwce5D.png

For many aeons and centuries I have searched for a sizable source of Abyssal Stone rather than purchasing it from a fellow player at expensive prices when I myself am rich (win-win!). I have long last found where everyone has been going. I will hopefully remember the location of this area, for I have no idea how to open the Waypoint menu. Alas are the woes of the ultimate Noob. Well, I also know where all those 'Dark x Ores' come from; got me some Lapis from here.

GPcaqqH.png

I want one of these 'Blue Crystals' with me on my caving adventures. It would be highly convenient if I could take this with me somewhere, but from what I see, anything that might potentially give the effects of the crystal and be portable are quite expensive. I don't quite have diamonds and ender pearls yet, but I eventually will! Hopefully. If the elemental creepers haven't gotten me by then.

In our next adventures, PhantomRage realizes his ore generation configurations failed and that he is playing like you hardcore ore-miners, and that you should really get off the couch and figure out how to set waypoints!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've come to prefer the Map Writer map, because I can track back home, and see where I've been by moving the map.

I personally dislike Mimichite, because it's not useful in duplicating ores. It's useful in quadrupling ores. Grind your ores and combine the dust with mimichite to get four ingots instead of two. Keep an eye out for Electricraft Platinum by the by, it turns into Shiny Ingots, and is much easier to get than ferrous.

Reactions: PhantomRage

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Also, I believe B is the default key for Waypoints in Xans. Either that, or the menu, from which you can create waypoints.

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
I've come to prefer the Map Writer map, because I can track back home, and see where I've been by moving the map.

I personally dislike Mimichite, because it's not useful in duplicating ores. It's useful in quadrupling ores. Grind your ores and combine the dust with mimichite to get four ingots instead of two. Keep an eye out for Electricraft Platinum by the by, it turns into Shiny Ingots, and is much easier to get than ferrous.
I looked at the Map Writer mod, and it looks quite interesting. Hmm, Electricraft Platinum, eh? I assume it is quite elusive, as I have not found it in my mining treks so far. But, noob luck be noob luck, it shall be found eventually!

Not sure if you knew this already, the geodes of abyssal stone are only found under oceans and their generally common. Now go monopolize abyslla stone.
*puts on monocle and top hat*
Old chap, I will soon be purchasing five hundred Boring Machines for the simple purpose of 'Monopolizing' this Abyssal Stone. Thank you for the beloved advice!
(Very bad English impersonation. I failed as a noob would! More seriously, thanks for the tip. Now I know where to go if I need to make a large dark wizard tower.)

When we last left off, PhantomRage met the Fluorite Pinata and had to travel to the surface. He also learned of the mystic powers of GeoStrata crystals which he cannot yet assimilate into his powerful deathpeace-bringing fleet!

So, I was exploring the cave quite thoroughly, and I realized something. I had seen not one IC2 vein of Copper or Tin, which I had supposedly enabled in the configuration files. Then, I realized something. I screwed up in which configuration file of which Monster folder to edit. Well, there is no going back now! I will have to work quite harder for the same amount of ores, but no problem to that! We will (hopefully) be obtaining a Hammer of some sorts soon which is not wicked-slow. Hopefully. Please.

CkmVwi8.png

For many years I have been searching for you, Redstone. You prove to be elusive to the point of insanity, yet sometimes you are also plentiful to the point of inventory insanity. However, the former term has been broken down, and I have finally found the first of your kind, Redstone. You will be used in the construction of many powerful machines to do my bidding, and bring peace to the world of Minecraftia by making me powerful from ore duplication which will increase my final product to time efficiency. You have a great destiny ahead of you, Redstone.

LKQYwps.png

At long last I have found you, Diamond. You are also as elusive as your cousin, Redstone, for you are only found by the most determined of Minecraftian miners. You continue to elude even the most determined of farmers and adventurers, but I have found you at long last. Wait a minute, you have only 1 Diamond Ore in your vein. Wow.
This may be the first time I have ever hated Redstone : for hogging where a second or third Diamond Ore might have been. Well, there's some sibling ore rivalry there for you, people!

ieNu4Hf.png

Reika has many items added by his mods which are both quite precious later on, but quite useless right now. So, I have decided they deserve their own chest. It shall be a very honorable chest with the glorious sign signifying that this chest contains items added by Reika's mods. Hopefully this will ease the clutter pressure which was on my regular 'ores' chest. Those pinata fluorite crystals really do mess your inventory up. Thankfully, they have a proper home now in this fine housing!

YEa7uIP.png

So, using the various amounts of Quartz Ore I have found in my cave system, I decided to create a Quartz Grind Stone. For a bit of manual labor, it shall increase my ore products by 100%! Quite a worthy investment, I'd say. The only downside is all that right-mouse button holding. While I'm babysitting the grind stone, I am smelting all the dusts produced by the grind stone and smelting some sand into glass for machine frames, as I am going to industrialize very soon to reduce the manual labor I am using. It will be a simple industrial setup of an Aqueous Accumulator, Steam Dynamo (or two), Pulverizer, and a Furnace. But, putting all those machines in my residential area would be very ugly, so I shall make a new building for them. This new building shall hold power generation, machines, and processing of materials!

cyJOOvj.png

So, I have just discovered how awesome Chisel is. Those scaffolding blocks (I think) will fit perfectly with my machine complex-y design. While I was digging out some dirt, filling in holes, and placing the Chisel blocks, this little bugger decided to ambush me. You do not know how dangerous any fast mob which is annoying to kill is when you have very low FPS and paranoid. Thankfully, my Steel Sword prevailed, and the Baby Zombie menace has been eradicated temporarily. I continue the construction of my machine complex, hopefully to start to produce fresh metal ingots from my automated setup.

EKkJ9h3.png

I eventually reached the point where I would need to fit windows into the machine complex. Otherwise, the enemy mobs might just walk in and pulverize their own ores! What energy-stealing buggers! I remembered about this 'Quite Clear Glass' which a kind soul told me about. I saw it required an EnderIO Alloy Furnace. I Initially thought it would be too expensive in terms of materials for my current situation, but I realized I could easily construct it. It just needed a lot of RF to run (2,400/operation), but it could be totally doable. However, I shall stick with Glass Panes for now, as the beautiful Quite Clear Glass is out of my reach to be mass-producing with only a potential measly 80 RF/t being produced.

ajopSpX.png

I must say, dear chaps, that my machine complex is quite beautiful. Sure, it does look like it should be a residential area for weary Minecraftians, but it will be a machine complex. No exceptions. I plan to create multiple layers for different mods or processes, as all the machinery I have ever owned clustered into a 6 by something area does not look pretty. It never does, and it never will (for me). I plan to go sub-terranean for power generation, or I may just stick the dynamos in this layer and put machines in another layer. Please excuse me while I stand drooling in the beautifulness of my machine complex.

XPDrKEa.png

An outside view of the machine complex with my residential area in the background. I plan to hook up the two with some sort of pathway. Brownstone would be good, but I am not near a Smeltery quite yet, and don't have any tin to spare.

Bxf3n2D.png

I am glad that Chisel has rescued me once again. I personally like the look of these dirt blocks; seems reminiscent of a primeval pathway of sorts composed of solidified disoriented dirt bricks. Nothing special about the block, but it shall suffice for the job of being our pathway block. I also blocked the path off with fences to prevent any hostile mobs from hijacking my well-constructed pathway. I also made sure that the local area was well-lit to prevent any ambushes while on the pathway. Do not worry, for I have installed a fence gate to let me outside. I am not that dumb. I hope.

0capYd7.png

A ground view of the same pathway. I harvested some dirt from the bottom of the nearby ocean to prevent me creating large holes in the landscape on land. The plan is working very well.

cNMD0Gl.png

While I was peacefully building my pathway with no concern for what was happening around me, this bugger ambushed me! It lit me on fire and left me to die in flames, but I would not surrender. I finally decapitated it with my Steel Sword after it had dropped me to five hearts, an all-time low. I subsequently ran into the water to soothe my burns and remove the fire. Needless to say, my paranoia levels saw a record rise over a few seconds. Protip : Fully light your living area!

In our next adventure, PhantomRage finally gets around to industrializing and meets the time-consuming yet rewarding task of Agriculture! He learns the importance of crop hydration as well, because nobody likes their crops being snails.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I don't know if it works in 1.6.4, but Direwolf used a factorization robot arm in his latest FC2 series to automate a grindstone. Might be worth a shot.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Did you enable Blood Magic? If not, I recommend it.
Yes, I know I'm predictable.

Reactions: Not_Steve

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The trouble that I have with Blood Magic is that it's on the line of undocumented and unguessable. I don't like mods that require me to have a browser open, or another window with the necessary information. Computer Craft not withstanding. On the other hand, I find it tremendously fun to watch other people play with, so go for it.

PhantomRage

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if it works in 1.6.4, but Direwolf used a factorization robot arm in his latest FC2 series to automate a grindstone. Might be worth a shot.
I would try the Robot Arm, but sadly it requires a Logic Matrix Programmer. Haven't found a dungeon chest yet, but thanks for the tip!

Did you enable Blood Magic? If not, I recommend it.
Yes, I know I'm predictable.
Blood Magic, it would be very interesting to enable it. Sadly, I don't know if I really want to do this. I hear bad things happen when you sacrifice villagers, and I'm all about putting useless villagers to use. If it doesn't have world generation, I'll probably add it later on. I just hope I don't forget! I know I'll probably fail by running out of LP in an altar and die during a boss battle. That's how I want to go down in Minecraftian history - PhantomRage the Fool!

When we last left off, PhantomRage spent exorbitant amounts of time on a house which is currently empty, and employed hard manual labor to make material ends meet!

NBz2KL1.png

So, I decided to make a second layer in my machine complex building for Thermal Expansion machines, with the ground floor being power generation. However, I ran into a shortage of Oak Wood and Planks. Thus, I ran around the countryside murdering any Oak Wood I could find. I found some Apple Trees, and boy were they full! Each apple tree cut netted around ~10-14 apples. Not bad, but I primarily needed the Oak Wood, but nice nonetheless! (I'm hovering at three stacks of apples right now... :p)

4I8tLgq.png

While roaming the countryside, I also found this deposit of Quarried Stone from RailCraft. It might come in handy if I ever were to make a large architectural masterpiece, but that's far off in the future. I will note the location of this deposit of Quarried Stone, however. Everybody knows that Quarried Stone is very purdy. At least, I think its purdy.

6PZja0y.png

I found that my main 'Stuff' chest was getting too full with agricultural products, such as seeds, saplings, apples, and other nature items. So, I decided to make a special chest for them. Quite the estate they are in, for they are lonely together! I will utilize them in a very short amount of time.

L15Sd3P.png

I decided to use ladders to climb onto the second level. You can see that I moved the torches to the side to keep the room lit and prevent any elemental creepers from spawning inside. I also installed a Steam Dynamo to generate power for machines. Hidden in the ground is an Aqueous Accumulator producing water for the eternally-parched Steam Dynamo. For now, I'll manually fill the Dynamo made with Charcoal from Willow Trees.

zcE0gRs.png

I consumed about 16 Mimichite to create two more diamonds, just because I now realize that this 'Mimichite' is quite epic in producing materials I am lacking in. Additionally, Mimichite Ore is quite plentiful to be found, so its quite a happy situation for me!

jshW25B.png

I'm going to clear out some terrain for some farms to grow crops in. For too long I have been absent from the glories of Farming and Agriculture, and today I shall recreate them for the entire world of Minecraftia to see. Quite simply, I will create plots to see how each Agriculture plant is like. I may remove some plants and replace them with others, but overall it should be good. There will also be a standard farm layer for seeds as well, possibly for seed oil. You never know!

ZQuFzxR.png

As I was working on constructing the farm, I noticed that the algae had grown considerably over the past Minecraftian days, and were quickly approaching the front door of my home. I put an end to this with my trusty Peridot Sickle. I'm glad it works on the algae, as the menacing threat was quickly contained back in the gulf it was originally located in. Yay for sickles! Not for communism, but for removing pesky nature products quicker than you can blink your eyes!

5Rz74of.png

I know it's really hard to see, but in the background is my processing assembly. I know some of you senior Thermal Expansion-ers know that I could just make the machines adjacent to each other to remove the unnecessary itemducts and chests. But it wouldn't be that fun or appealing then, would it? At least, I think it would look better if I expanded the process a bit more. Additionally, I also noticed that apparently Pulverizers consume 40 RF/t, and Redstone Furnaces consume something less than that. I also noticed that the Dynamo output was lowered to 60 RF/t, but no matter. I can safely run both my Pulverizer and my Redstone Furnace at the same time without problems!

1YHxwJG.png

This is exactly why you have a ore product doubling setup. Look at all the Iron!

H14ZPhM.png

I finished constructing my farm. It is a series of 9 3x3 plots with one type of Agriculture crop in each of them, as well as a conventional wheat farm in the far back. Everything is labelled with fancy Chisel Blocks composing the pathways and the sign holders, and surrounded by fences to keep baddies who want to trample and steal my crops away. I also massively lit up the area, so unless an Enderman decided to ruin my day and remove a fence or trample a crop, everything should be good.

tKp5eaW.png

I noticed that Charcoal in the Steam Dynamo was being wasted due to it being burned beforehand, so I decided to add a Leadstone Energy Cell to act as a buffer. I would have upgraded to Hardened, but I am precariously low on Redstone right now. I do suppose, however, I could multiply my supply using Mimichite, but I best conserve it for future uses, such as more diamonds! I suppose I will have to go mining for more Redstone and ores, but I will be sufficiently prepared now with Miner's Backpacks and more to increase my inventory efficiency!

In our next adventures, PhantomRage spends several lifetimes mining, and decides that Redstone is no longer his favorite ore child! He also decides to upgrade his farm slightly as it is a dishonorable Vanilla manual labor farm. It must be automated to an extent!

Reactions: Padfoote