My computer lags a lot on any ftb pack.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AlexDeathwind

Jul 29, 2019
So I can play games like Overwatch and other newer titles on ultra/high, but any time I play any modded minecraft I have lots of jerking and lagginess. I set a lot of the setting for lower end (Clouds off, capped my FPS), but I still have the issues. I also allot 4g Ram through the launcher. Is there anything I am missing with running modded minecraft that would help?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name THEBEAST-PC
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Alienware 17
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Alienware 17
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware A08, 12/25/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 1.01
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Alienware
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.0"
User Name TheBeast-PC\TheBeast
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.89 GB
Available Physical Memory 0.98 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.66 GB
Page File Space 8.95 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Your FPS shouldn't be capped for performance in my experience. Can I have a screenshot of your settings?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So I can play games like Overwatch and other newer titles on ultra/high, but any time I play any modded minecraft I have lots of jerking and lagginess.
Minecraft is not like other games. It is a huge simulation of tons of things that need constant calculations(even if you are on a server). These are calculations that requires heavy work from the CPU. The regular games are generally very simple scripted things(very few calculations), and then a lot of flashy textures on complex shapes with a lot of fancy effects and shadows applied to them. This is where a Graphic Card is handy, as it is specialized in calculating these things. Minecraft has very simple textures on very simple shapes, aka barely anything for the graphic card to do.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Minecraft is singlethreaded only, and therefore singlecore performance is key to having great performance in Minecraft. This CPU is a very low-powered mobile unit. As for comparison a modern desktop processor will clock around 4gHz per core(and for another comparison I bought a I7-2.8gHz 7-8 years ago, now replaced).

If you want to run modded Minecraft with this, then I suggest steering away from the larger packs(such as Infinity etc.).
Playing on a server as opposed to singleplayer will help too.
Also try and allocate less than 4GB(as little as you need generally). You don't need 4GB for the packs this PC is suited for, without texture packs etc.

Reactions: Padfoote

tofuturkey

Jul 29, 2019
mojang.com/2014/08/minecraft-1-8-pre-release-the-bountiful-update

According to the above link, Minecraft 1.8 is multithreaded. As a note, when considering upgrading your CPU you will most likely need to replace your motherboard as well.

You mentioned that you are having fps problems, but didn't include your hardware. Mind sharing?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Pokedev

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using Java 64 bit? Reduce the ram to 2 GB.

Sent from my Micromax A106 using Tapatalk