Multifarms: Manual tree farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DarkDestry

Jul 29, 2019
Wasnt there a manual aboretum that allows us to plant the trees manually? what happpened to that?

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
You have to make a circuit board with it set to manual farms using the soldering iron. Check the forestry wiki, it tells you everything!

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

DarkDestry

Jul 29, 2019
I checked everywhere. Forestry wiki. FTB wiki. Nothing says anything about a manual aboretum. only managed ones.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Managed arboretum can work as a manual arboretum. Just put dirt on blocks that you used for farm bed instead of letting the farm put humus in those places and plant your trees. It will cut down trees (and forestry is really good at it) and if it can use saplings it will collect them. If it can't plant the saplings (for example Natura or Dartcraft trees in 1.5) they will lay on the ground, you can use water stream, golem or powered obsidian pipe to collect them automatically.

DarkDestry

Jul 29, 2019
Do you want it to cut down the trees or not?

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Yes i do. I intend to farm the forestry logs

Managed arboretum can work as a manual arboretum. Just put dirt on blocks that you used for farm bed instead of letting the farm put humus in those places and plant your trees. It will cut down trees (and forestry is really good at it) and if it can use saplings it will collect them. If it can't plant the saplings (for example Natura or Dartcraft trees in 1.5) they will lay on the ground, you can use water stream, golem or powered obsidian pipe to collect them automatically.

So instead of placing the saplings in the multifarm, i can just place the saplings down and it will replant them?

thestarlion

Jul 29, 2019
The page you want for manual arboretums and all other multiblock farm programming is this: http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki.new/doku.php?id=farms:programming
And all you need in-world is a soldering iron, a circuit board and the relevant electron tubes.
However, you should note that the manual Arboretum is known as the Orchard, and will only harvest the fruit from fruit bearing trees - it won't cut down the trees. For that you need the Managed Arboretum.

thestarlion

Jul 29, 2019
The manual farms you only have to plant the initial saplings/seedlings, then if it has to replace them it remembers where you put them and only replants right there.
Most of the manual farms don't seem to harvest right down to the point where they have to replant though.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
So instead of placing the saplings in the multifarm, i can just place the saplings down and it will replant them?
It won't replant them (it needs humus for planting). However it is still huge help for farming trees which can't be planted in other ways (DartCraft) or to cut down trees after crossbreeding.

DarkDestry

Jul 29, 2019
Yes so if i use the managed aboretum and lay down the soil myself, would it remember where i planted? Cuz all testing up to now says it doesnt. All it does is it chops down the tree and thats it. The reason i want to to be manual is because i intend to have multiple tree types in one multifarm. Specifically Teak, Lime, Kapok and Cherry.

It won't replant them (it needs humus for planting). However it is still huge help for farming trees which can't be planted in other ways (DartCraft) or to cut down trees after crossbreeding.

Whats this footnote on forestry wiki then?
"Prior to 2.0.0.4, Humus was required instead of dirt" Ultimate should be running later than 2.0.0.4

thestarlion

Jul 29, 2019
It is, you can use dirt.
As for Managed, the Managed arboretum will plant saplings in all valid locations - wherever there is dirt in its reach. Only the Manual ones remember where you plant and only replant there, but the Manual one won't cut them down.
You may want to either use dedicated Arboretums for each kind of wood, or have a look at MFR's Harvester and Planter instead. I'm not sure if they support Forestry's trees though.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The managed arboretum will not plant on dirt, it will only plant on humus.

The footnote on the Forestry wiki refers to the fact that prior to 2.0.0.4, you had to insert humus into the farm, whereas in later versions you just insert dirt and it auto-converts it to humus upon laying it down (after all, it consumes fertilizer while laying down the land, it only makes sense).

However the managed arboretum will chop any tree, even ones manually planted on dirt by the player. It simply will not replant in those cases, because there is no humus.

DarkDestry

Jul 29, 2019
So assuming this is true, Is it possible where i just dig a hole in the already planted dirt where i want trees to go? And thereafter insert dirt into the multifarm and it will only plant saplings on the specified empty space?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Easier still, just give the farm a few dirt blocks to place down as humus. Then grab a shovel, dig up the humus and place it how you want it.