Most stable modpack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking to start probably a 100 slot server with some friends. I'm wanting to get one of the larger kitchen sink mod packs, but I know that I don't want the gregtech mode enabled. I'd like everything to be conflict free as possible and not have to deal with tracking down conflicting mod resources. The last pack I had going had issue with copper or something from another mod pack.

Is there a recommendation on where to go from this point? I know everything is in a tight spot right now with 1.8 just coming out so fast and 1.7 having performance issues.

Would the older packs be more stable? My fear with older 1.6 is that most mod creators probably stop putting updates.

I don't know if should just wait until everything gets updated to 1.8 or what. It sounds like it could take a VERY long time for all the mods to be 1.8 compatible.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Monster or Direwolf20 are 1.6.4 packs that will likely suit your needs. As for 1.7 a lot of mods are not very stable, and there are no 'official' packs yet. And of course there are no forge-mods for 1.8 yet (unless I missed something).
1.6.4 mods aren't really getting updated anymore, but are (mostly) very nicely stable.
Honestly, I would either a) make a Monster/DW20 server, or b) wait until 1.7 has a bit more stability.

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any annoying 1.6.4 bugs that are still lingering around in the Monster pack that have no chance of getting fixed? Just don't know what the timeline is on 1.7.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
IC2ex has some recipe bugs that I find annoying (nano-helmet for one). But mostly things work. If it really bothers you (I just gather the mats up, spawn one in and delete the mats), you could probably fix it with mine tweaker or something.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Are there any annoying 1.6.4 bugs that are still lingering around in the Monster pack that have no chance of getting fixed? Just don't know what the timeline is on 1.7.

Look out for issues with Ars Magica Hecate spawning..... Apart from that, I've been running a (relatively) issue free DW20 server for a few months now :)

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
Look out for issues with Ars Magica Hecate spawning..... Apart from that, I've been running a (relatively) issue free DW20 server for a few months now :)

Are these fixable issues? And what is missing from the DW20 pack over monster? Wondering if DW20 is more stable.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
No, monster has the most. But there are some DW20 mods that were not included in monster. Like Ars Magica, translocators, and pneumaticraft.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
I just have a single question... a 100 slot server with some friends? Thats either overkill, or you have waaaaay too many friends xD

JCourtney

Jul 29, 2019
The 100 slot server is just so that I make sure I have plenty of RAM.

Are there any other mod packs from any other launchers I should look at? Maybe one that takes Direwolf's and adds more popular mods to it.

It would seem mods like Advanced Genetics, Blood Magic, ReactorCraft would add a lot of fun stuff to do.

Last edited:

Shmeeb

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf and horizons are pretty stable, monster is probably the least stable of all the packs.

CrazyCraze

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf - Stability Monster - Fun.... In my opinion, I like the gregtech modpacks like tppi or dns from Atlauncher, but considering what you want, I think direwolf20 is the best.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
The 100 slot server is just so that I make sure I have plenty of RAM.

Are there any other mod packs from any other launchers I should look at? Maybe one that takes Direwolf's and adds more popular mods to it.

It would seem mods like Advanced Genetics, Blood Magic, ReactorCraft would add a lot of fun stuff to do.
Slots are COMPLETELY different from RAM. Unless you mean you are getting the extra slots, because they come with the extra ram.

L0NExW0LF

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I would reccomend TPPI. It has about 200 mods and it's pretty stable. It does have Gregtech, however it's on easy mode so Gregtech doesn't change any of recipes of the other mods.

Reactions: null123

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Personally I would reccomend TPPI. It has about 200 mods and it's pretty stable. It does have Gregtech, however it's on easy mode so Gregtech doesn't change any of recipes of the other mods.
+1
TPPI = Great pack. Get the stonebound server pack (it has extra mods in it) as well. It adds rotarycraft and a few others things. Very fun.

Last edited:

L0NExW0LF

Jul 29, 2019
+1
TPPI = Great pack. Get the stonebound server pack (it has extra mods in it) as well. It adds rotarycraft and a few others things. Very fun.
As a staff member of the Stonebound server I can say that our server pack is "use at your own risk". One of the reasons that our server now runs the base TPPI pack is that while our server had the extra mods installed our server experienced quite a bit of instability. So I would like to warn you that if you use our modified pack, don't expect to get support from us or the TPPI team. With that said, I still recommend the default TPPI pack as you will still get support from their team if you have any problems.