Most stable Minecraft version for a modpack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
well, I thought about that but I didn't like it for 2 reasons:

1) That's a whole bunch of work and there's still other OP parts of EnderIO
2) More complex crafting will just make me regret removing Refined Storage, and that will cause me to once again make myself superman-level OP 15 hours into the game.

I just want to kind of force each other into using the more interesting things like IE's multi-block crusher or whatever. I'm the only one that cares, though, so there's always the possibility that I'll just avoid the OP stuff on my own and let them play with whatever they want. But, I'm not sure I have the strength! lol

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The vision is to have the world feel practical. It's rough terrain, so it's just difficult enough to traverse that it promotes building walkways and tracks. I don't think I want it to progress to the point where I would even need the high end stuff. I want all practical mining, exception being made just for a buildcraft quarry because it still feels practical enough and is difficult to get it so fast that it feels even remotely OP.

But at the same time, I want all of the creative advantages I can get, but I have those covered.

Huge shout out to Conquest Reforged:

For being the best texture pack I've ever seen. Really, you gotta use it to see it, but it's amazingly well done. Everything uses connected textures, so long stone walls look like stone walls, but stone blocks stacked on top of each other, etc..

There's even 3d connected textures, it's nuts.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well apparently, we're keeping enderIO since my friends have no taste but they're good at stomping their feet and demanding things they know nothing about.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmmm... you could go with the disassembled EnderIO, which would all you to have the conduits, but leave out the rest of the mod. Assuming it's still available. Personally I'd leave it out. More fun to have deadly wires and Pipe Spaghetti everywhere.

Railcraft is currently in Beta6, which I'm okay with, but I haven't actually used it. Right now the Multi-blocks do some weird things, but as far as I know all the rail stuff works. It should be totally compatible with Signals, but I've never used Signals, and so am totally unfamiliar with it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Ok, I'll try adding railcraft. I was kinda worried for a 5% chance that it'd replace vanilla carts with something that wouldn't work. Honestly, if signals works at all like Factorio, it's probably all I need to get started, but if they work well together, that'd just be a bonus.

That's also a great idea going modular on EnderIO! I can't believe it didn't hit me sooner. But, it's too late. I reminded myself this pack wasn't about me, so I give em what they want. I'll just try to have the self control to not go straight to the finish line instead of blaming the modpack. (All while rreaaaaly thinking about the next one. Which *will* be for me. )

I'm still interested in ideas if anyone else gets the feel I'm going for. I can use this one to really nail down the next one.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Ever considered playing an expert pack? Or, tweaking stuff yourself, I suppose. I think Automaton would be a great pack for the things you want to play with, so perhaps check that out?

If you do decide you want to tweak some recipes and such, feel free to ask me, I'd be willing to help with it.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I appreciate that. I have been wanting to do a real hard more for forever. I get out ores by my casual friends. I complain about them, but it's nice to play with friends. But they can't handle a hard pack.

We tried once. Infinity Evolved. I was loving every second of it, but before long, they just started playing vanilla except what I'd make for them. They're good sports but they weren't feeling it.

The real problem though is that I am just in pursuit of the "perfect" pack, which means I really want to make it specifically for my tastes. But, the flip side to that is that it would require a lot of work. I have the time this time though. Usually, I start designing a pack like a week before it goes live. I could conceivably start tweaking recipes on another profile as I go along. I can test mods out as I go along here and see what works and what's gotta go.

Or, I can break down and play sevtech or automaton or something and stop needing everything to be "my way" all the time, lol.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Actually additions is about as "staple" as it gets for me. Storage crates that are better than chests, Wireless item/fluid/energy relays, the drill, phantom interfaces, everything this pack does is superior to all other mods imo.

AE2 and RS are also basically mandatory mods. They take a bit more to set up than say AA or EIO, but life changes dramatically without them.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well, that's the second part of my problem. I keep slightly changing up what I want here. Two modpacks ago, Actually Additions was a welcome mod. I've just found that it so completely overshadows the early game that I forgot how to even start a game on vanilla anymore. But, other than the drill (which has always been one of my favorite things, don't get me wrong), most of it is indeed obsolete by the time you get into real processing and all that.

I dunno. MAybe, as long as I don't generate immense power for basically free and I still have to manually get ores (and in that case, the drill becomes kinda balanced again in the end), then the game just won't be able to get broken in the end. In fact, I think as long as I have to actually struggle for the RF, really anything can work maybe...I was having fun with ExU2 generators right up until I broke the world with lightning rods last time. I'll see how this goes.

Edit: I did add AE2 in. I've only used refines storage before, so this could be more interesting. I'm waiting for later, though.

Edit: screw it., Gloves are off anyway. We're going to the moon! I've added Advanced rocketry. This is now officially a playground.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Advanced Rocketry is delightfully customisable! :D Awesome.

One thing I'd like in AR is the possibility of a longer range rocket - nothing crazy, but one that can go between two planets in adjacent orbits, say. So you still need Warp Drive for outer planets and other solar systems, but a rocket could take you say from Earth to Mars.

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I haven't actually installed it yet, lol. But I've always wanted to try it. It had some compatibility issues with optifine, so I kept deleting it before I got started. I will add it in soon, though. I don't know when I'll get started with it though. I'm still having fun mining with my trusty vanilla iron pickaxe, lol.

I invented a new mining pattern that's pretty neat, though. Since we're using a custom world, I really don't know where the ores are. I was surprised to find out the best place to mine iron so far has been in the y=90+ range. So, I made a 21x21 vertical mine shaft that will ultimately go all the way to the bottom, hollowed out in the middle for an eventual elevator. But I'm only mine (pretty much) the absolute minimum number of blacks to reveal every block in this is making a neat little chain-link type of pattern. I should have uploaded the vid, lol...

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OK, I am tweaking this pack and I'm looking for some suggestions:

First, how do I go about making more things show up in chests out there? Just to satisfy a little bit of that exploration itch. Is that done within each mod, or is there something that can manage the chests?

Anyone know of any cool, preferably standalone mods I could add that maybe aren't already super well known? I'm playing with a bunch of beginners, so it doesn't have to fit in so perfectly, this is basically a random mod pack. Anything "neat" would be appreciated.

Edit: I tried searching for things like "best minecraft mods 2019" and like every site is all "JEI and Journeymap. And, wait for it, WAILA!" as if these aren't the most well known mods in literally every pack. It's driving me nuts.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
To give you proper suggestions I would need a list of what you already have, but here is some stuff you might enjoy, which I don't think you've played with before:

Botania, which is a magic mod, but it's also a tech mod. You might enjoy it.
Cyberware/Robotic Parts (The 1.12 port is Robotic parts). It allows you to become a cyborg of sorts.
Advent of Ascension, which has recently gotten to 1.12. It's an adventure mod, so you might want to check it out.
Rustic, which is pretty popular but never really used to it's full extent.
Embers with the Aetherworks addon, which is another magic mod with a lot of fancy particles and interesting automation setups to do
Apotheosis, which has a full overhaul of the enchanting system. I've never used it, but it is quite interesting.
Champions, which is just Infernal Mobs, but better. Very configurable, and I'd recommend disabling the shielding and reflecting effects if you add it, those get annoying.
Steve's Factory Manager. No clue if you've ever used it, but it's now in 1.12, so that's cool.
Deep mob learning, which is an alternative to often laggy mob farms.

I think I'll leave it at that for now. There's probably some more stuff out there though, but I'd need a modlist to give more specific suggestions.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I have rustic on there but I've yet to touch it! Lol

I will definitely look through though, thanks lordpine! That enchanting rework could he especially perfect as the old EnderIO borderline cheating method has gotten stale...

I also just browsed through some of the top modpacks out there and picked out a whole bunch that looked interesting. I'm about to gave to call this pack "no really, allll of the mods" lol

I've got a week or so to figure out how to mess with dungeon loot and how to change some of these recipes. I'd consider doing a quick and basic questbook if that's easy enough to do, too. But if it's all script, I'll probably skip that.

Reactions: LordPINE

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Doing a quest book is pretty easy, I'd recommend looking at either HQM or FTB quests for it, both have pretty useable GUI's. No scripting required, basically.
Recipe changing can be done with crafttweaker, which uses zenscript as well, so learning to use that will help with the loot changing as well.

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
You're making this sound totally doable! I might just put this this ng together proper-like.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm diving into mekanism as the main tech pack. I was wondering if over by their well done trailer. And really it's because it looks like some if their machines look cool. But anyway, it seems to not like simple oregen. Any ideas there? If not, I'll just drop that oregen and do that through something else. I have to figure out how to retrogen anyway.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Man, this is really starting to shape up. The world I'm building this off of is ridiculously good looking. I can't even overstate it. I probably won't even want to build anything lest I destroy the masterpiece this guy made, lol.

I don't think I need to even retrogren, at least for ores. There's some mods that add things that I would like to see in there, though, so I'll still mess with it. I found this really cool mod called scanners that I could use to kinda x-ray the area to make sure diamonds and mekanism ores and all that are out there and between the main and mining dimensions, it looks like we're good there.

I'm trying to think of what else needs to be done. I need to, like add nether stars to the recipes for some of the most played out stuff. Like, if I end up seeing one more dark steel armor suit, I'm gonna lose it. They won't let me remove EnderIO, and I don't feel a need to completely remove it, but I do have to tweak some stuff so it doesn't just take over everything from the start of the game. OR, oooh, I wonder if I could make them uncraftable, but you can find them in chests or something.

Which quest book thing would be easiest to get into as a beginner? I don't even know if I know what I want to put in there for a progression, lol, but I'd like to take a look.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Its definitely totally doable! Mekanism is definitely a mod you could use as a main tech mod.

Scanners is also very neat; its something I'd consider adding to our pack actually...

As for dark steel armour, you could tweak the recipes so its harder to make? I'd be interested to see how powerful End Steel armour is...