Most efficient way of turning lava into useful energy?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

David Chambers

Jul 29, 2019
Just spent a ridiculous amount of iron on this

http://imgur.com/zymr9qB

It's pumping lava from the nether, and I was wondering what the best way to turn this lava into energy was? A Geothermal generator would do it for EU, but what about MJ? Or perhaps there's a better way for both?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Use a "thermal generator" instead of the geothermal generator, assuming you are using the MindCrack pack. Otherwise use a pump to get the extra 10kEU from the lava.

For MJ, magmatic engines would do the trick.

Exe19

Jul 29, 2019
Lava/EU => Geo. Generator (20EU/t) or (better) GregTech Thermal generator (24EU/t)
Lava/MJ => Magmatic engine (4MJ/t, 18.000 MJ/bucket, 90% eff) or (worse) Railcraft Boiler (since lava was nerfed).

David Chambers

Jul 29, 2019
Use a "thermal generator" instead of the geothermal generator, assuming you are using the MindCrack pack. Otherwise use a pump to get the extra 10kEU from the lava.

For MJ, magmatic engines would do the trick.
Thanks for the tip about the magamatic engines. I am on Mindcrack, but I can't find a thermal generator in NEI. Maybe it's a gregtech thing? Also, what do you mean by a pump?

Thanks

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the tip about the magamatic engines. I am on Mindcrack, but I can't find a thermal generator in NEI. Maybe it's a gregtech thing? Also, what do you mean by a pump?

Thanks

Yes, it is a GregTech thing. You didn't kill off GregTech, did you?

It is made as follows:

Invar ingot, Invar ingot, Invar ingot
Invar ingot, Reinforced glass, Invar ingot
Circuit, Geothermal generator, Circuit.

You can replace the invar ingots with aluminium ingots, and the circuits with a bunch of different BC gates.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Protip for this system since you're not resource gated: The most efficient way to tap MJ out of this system is to have magmatics feeding an array of redstone energy cells (or an array of MFEs for IC2 power) and use whatever logic is available to cease power generation when the system is full. Make sure to provide a large buffer of power here.

Lava is a pretty amazing energy storage medium for its volume and ubiquity, but all its re-conversion methods are slow. Make sure to have a huge buffer of energy to work through as the system produces, because it's almost certainly not going to be able to keep up with your demand.

David Chambers

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it is a GregTech thing. You didn't kill off GregTech, did you?

It is made as follows:

Invar ingot, Invar ingot, Invar ingot
Invar ingot, Reinforced glass, Invar ingot
Circuit, Geothermal generator, Circuit.

You can replace the invar ingots with aluminium ingots, and the circuits with a bunch of different BC gates.
Yeah, we removed Gregtech. I felt it over complicated things :)

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, we removed Gregtech. I felt it over complicated things :)

Well then, you are going to want to look into use geothermal generators fed by IC2 pumps. This will net you an extra 10kEU (minus 200eu for usage of the pump, I believe, per block) which makes it worth it.