Most Complex Mods in All of Minecraft?

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I make it a point to learn at least 1 new mod on every playthrough of Minecraft. This playthrough I (finally) learned EviromentalTech, WOOT, and Xnet. On my list to learn next is Steve's Factory Manager and Advanced Generators. (I know advanced generators is not particularly hard, I've just not taken the time to experiment with it yet)

What I would like to know is what mods out there do you recommend I learned next? I am looking for complex mods that have a lot of flexibility to do a lot of things. I also enjoy mods that are difficult to understand how they fit together (Think Immersive Engineering's multiblock structures). What I don't want is mods or packs are designed to be expert packs, progression packs, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer the 1.10+ era, but that doesn't mean I couldn't load up the 1.7 genre.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Curiously nobody else has proffered other ideas. I'd also be interested to see some mods that are genuinely "complex".

Deep Resonance is interesting to set up optimal crystals for if you like unusual energy systems. That one's 1.10+.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Good call. I tried Deep Resonance when it was first released and it has tons of bugs. I'll give that one a go again.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't you put GregTech in the list? (At least upto version 5 - haven't tried 6 yet).

The processing chains for plastics and platinum come to mind. I seem to remember using about 30 machines to produce a not-quite self-sufficent setup to produce platinum.

Or maybe that's complicated rather than complex.

Reactions: Reddis

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
Have you played with Nuclearcraft? It seems like a decent 1.12 alternative to Reactorcraft. Not quite as complex, but the idea’s there.

Another option is Botania. Leave out all the other mods you know that make it more convenient. Just use Botania, Vanilla, and a chunkloading mod. Get a barrels mod, too, for the top tier challenge, and make sure you can automatically move stuff between dimensions. Now go automate mana storage by placing filled Greater Rings of Mana in a barrel without ever touching the system. Keep at least 100 rings in there at all times.

Does that sound easy? It’s just mana production and storage, terrasteel crafting, ring crafting, and putting the mana in the rings, then the rings in the barrel. Expand the challenge. Keep a mana battery of 16 pools. Use two or more different generating flowers. Only input fuel when the battery is at half or lower. Make a system to choose which generator you use based on fuel stockpile.

You’re going to need a lot of flowers too, so don’t forget to automate rune and flower crafting. Might want to automate laying those generators down too. You’ll be waiting a while, so you’ll need to make food and have a way of pulling it out of the system. In fact, make a way of pulling anything, at any point in the process, out of the system. Good luck.

Reactions: Reddis

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Wouldn't you put GregTech in the list? (At least upto version 5 - haven't tried 6 yet).

The processing chains for plastics and platinum come to mind. I seem to remember using about 30 machines to produce a not-quite self-sufficent setup to produce platinum.

I considered it but I didn't want to get into a debate about grind vs complexity.

Personally, having put a jillion hours into it, I'd say "excelling" at GT is complex, but playing it probably isn't.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019

Really it is personal opinion on grind vs complex. I never played GT but from what I have read, it seems to be a grind for the sake of extending play time. I could be wrong though.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Have you played with Nuclearcraft? It seems like a decent 1.12 alternative to Reactorcraft. Not quite as complex, but the idea’s there.

Another option is Botania. Leave out all the other mods you know that make it more convenient. Just use Botania, Vanilla, and a chunkloading mod. Get a barrels mod, too, for the top tier challenge, and make sure you can automatically move stuff between dimensions. Now go automate mana storage by placing filled Greater Rings of Mana in a barrel without ever touching the system. Keep at least 100 rings in there at all times.

Does that sound easy? It’s just mana production and storage, terrasteel crafting, ring crafting, and putting the mana in the rings, then the rings in the barrel. Expand the challenge. Keep a mana battery of 16 pools. Use two or more different generating flowers. Only input fuel when the battery is at half or lower. Make a system to choose which generator you use based on fuel stockpile.

You’re going to need a lot of flowers too, so don’t forget to automate rune and flower crafting. Might want to automate laying those generators down too. You’ll be waiting a while, so you’ll need to make food and have a way of pulling it out of the system. In fact, make a way of pulling anything, at any point in the process, out of the system. Good luck.

Never even heard of NuclearCraft. I did build a nuclear reactor from one of the older mods once and enjoyed that. I will definitely take a look at NuclearCraft.

Botania is a great mod. I played it several times but never "finished it" if you will. I should pick it up again soon.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Never even heard of NuclearCraft. I did build a nuclear reactor from one of the older mods once and enjoyed that. I will definitely take a look at NuclearCraft.

Botania is a great mod. I played it several times but never "finished it" if you will. I should pick it up again soon.
NuclearCraft is kind of an ExtremeReactors for grownups. It has a lot more fuel types and cooling mechanics to play with.

The dev is also in the process of adding a active-cooling mechanism (soon(tm))

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to share I started a new playthrough on Enigmatica 2. This pack is full of mods I really enjoy and mods I want to learn. For sure on this playthrough, I want to learn NuclearCraft and actually get Mekamism 5x ore processing up and running. Played Mekanism many times and had 3x processing and digital miner running, but never 5x. <3

Reactions: LordPINE and Pyure