Moonstranded Gregtech 5U modpack?

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
Alright I tried Galactic Science, and didn't enjoy minechem much; but couldn't shake the itch of a 'skyblock' moon modpack.

Had the idea for my own light GT modpack for awhile, decided to give it a go. Wondering if there is any interest in this at all. Or if I should just continue for my own personal enjoyment.

Premise and what makes this different unique?
The entire pack focuses on Gregtech. Anything redundant is removed. No EIO conduits, ExtraUtilities pipes, BC pipes etc. All your problems will have to be solved with Gregtech. It's amazing how something as simple as removing EIO conduits/filters can add such a unique challenge to a processing chain. Combining GT item pipes and barrels/drawers is just one solution or alternative to these common items/mechanics.

Resources are gained the old fashioned skyblock way. Sieving (that means manually) Moon rock/dirt/turf at first for all your bronze age resources. Moon material gained by manual mining, or handing in the (somewhat common) meteors that land on the moon surface for science. Plenty of quest rewards to avoid standing at a sieve too much. Ex Gregilo is added (for the time being) as an increase boost to sieving speed.

Once you get to LV electrical era the rock breaker becomes your source of materials. It is the only method of automating cobblestone production. Typical cobble to gravel, sand, dust process. Gravel, sand, dust sieving outputs a much larger variety of materials and minerals, however at a lower rate as it can be automated (unlike moon materials). For automated sieving the vanilla GT sifter has had a bunch of recipes added. That's as far as I've gotten. I envisioned it mostly just being a typical GT progress after that as Gregtech's progression is a feat itself.

I'm personally looking forward to automating rockbreak/hammers/macerators/sifters/ and then the rest of the typical ore processing chain using nothing but Gregtech; And think it will be a fun challenge.

Ultimate goal is fusion as usual. Although I'm working on the story/premise for that to fit into it (seeing as your on the moon). There's no hunger or spice of life mods to add tedium. There's no 'harder' AI or mobs to defend. There's no loot bags (at the moment). It is fairly bare bones, as many of those game mechanics I strive to completely avoid in the end anyways. The intent is to focus on the engineering, design, and automation of processes and devices; rather than the survival and mining aspects of the game.

Typical progression mechanics like The End/Nether/Twilight Forest/Netherstars etc. are going to be removed/worked around. I'd like to make it more like Factorio than anything else. Focus on the production and design, not the exploring and looting.

I've made it up to LV Era in the questbook, as that's all I've finished planning for changes/gameplay mechanic tweaks at the moment. After this point the quests will likely look like any other GT modpack, guiding but not holding your hand through GT.

tl;dr I'm making and balancing a Gregtech modpack focused only on GT5U (no other major staple mod) where you're stranded on the moon. You use regular skyblock mechanics for resources (all those nifty GT materials). I have HQM maybe about 20-30% done and wondering if anybody else would like it or if I should just continue on for myself.

Here's a link to the few pictures I have of the Lunar Module you start in (WIP) and the current quests:
https://imgur.com/a/Fq6nY

Obviously everything is very WIP and subject to change. Feedback is appreciated either way.

Cheers

Reactions: Pyure

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Praise be unto Notch! Someone else doesn't like the tedium of Spice of Life (I'll admit it's an interesting challenge in early game a few times... until you discover the black magic of jam/sandwiches/juice/smoothies) and that boosting mob capabilities is aggravating rather than difficult! Also no Chance Cubes, Avaritia, or Draconic Evolution?! Wow.

My only suggestion at current would be to try and carefully mitigate some of the early-tier GT grind. Skyblocks are grindy and Gregtech is grindy, the combo could lose a LOT of early players.

What's the current mod list? There's some QoL mods that might be helpful or not depending on the list.