Monster: Things that should be disabled by default. Your opinions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even know how the term balanced got applied to minecraft moddid or otherwise. Why would you try do balance a sandbox game. A game that's supposed to let you do just about anything you could possibly want.

Reactions: midi_sec

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I would say Geostrata perhaps should be disabled by default. You'd have to be pretty hell-bent on aesthetic building to really appreciate the 12 (?) different types of cobblestone.

Then again, I might be the wrong person to comment. I'm currently void piping 33 different items/blocks at the quarry. :)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I would say Geostrata perhaps should be disabled by default. You'd have to be pretty hell-bent on aesthetic building to really appreciate the 12 (?) different types of cobblestone.

Then again, I might be the wrong person to comment. I'm currently void piping 33 different items/blocks at the quarry. :)
If you do not like the cobble, why not just smelt them into smooth stone and make bricks or other designs?

Reactions: Hoff

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
I know its a classic, but for people that like it they could just enable it.. As you said, you love Quantum Armor, but now there are others way to get that kind of overpowered armor without having to load a TON of compatibilities, blocks, items..etc..etc.. Same thing goes for IC2 and Random Things, they have been outclassed.. I really liked IC2 for a long time, but without gregtech its.. Just. I just dont enjoy it. I feel that the effort put into IC2 doesnt compare to the effort put into buildcraft or thermalexpansion for example.. Its a classic, but that also means that its old and it has never grew up.. It stayed always the same without evolving.. For the ones that want it for the classy spirit or nostalgia, or maybe for the armor, they can enable it.. But being honest, how many ppl left that actually does something important with IC2 besides the drills and the Armor? Ic2 is a mechanical mod, an industrial mod! Not an armor and cool electric drill one :/ The whole point of IC2 is messed up..

At least thats my opinion

Well, why not have it the other way - People that don't want it can disable it.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Well, why not have it the other way - People that don't want it can disable it.
Agreed. As was said a few days ago, this thread is more often being used as a "we should effectively remove what I do not like" soapbox than it is an effort to remove features noone wants.

Additionally, rather than what I suspect is the intended function of the thread, asking for ideas on what parts of mods are redundant, overpowered, or performance-killing, people are recommending removing entire mods.
Because disable-by-default affects every copy of the pack, this is synonymous with saying, quite literally, "noone could ever possibly want anything this mod has to offer". Put more bluntly, and with the assumption that pack players are a representative sample of modded MC players in general, that could even be rephrased as "why was this mod ever released? Noone in their right mind would install it". And that is an enormous slap in the face to a mod dev, not just because it is saying "your mod sucks and noone would ever use it", but also "what were you thinking giving us this crap?".

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even know how the term balanced got applied to minecraft moddid or otherwise. Why would you try do balance a sandbox game. A game that's supposed to let you do just about anything you could possibly want.

Because some people want challenge. Simple as that.
And some people don't like getting everything in the first hour or 3.
Because that just ruins any fun for me.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Because some people want challenge. Simple as that.
And some people don't like getting everything in the first hour or 3.
Because that just ruins any fun for me.

No offense but the game being that easy is your fault tbh. The goal of a true sandbox game is complete player self-regulation or self-deregulation. Packs are meant to give a general "this" level of gameplay then you regulate it to your own needs. The very idea of sandbox goes completely against heavy handed regulation.

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
No offense but the game being that easy is your fault tbh. The goal of a true sandbox game is complete player self-regulation or self-deregulation. Packs are meant to give a general "this" level of gameplay then you regulate it to your own needs. The very idea of sandbox goes completely against heavy handed regulation.

Well, I cant make a game harder without balancing stuff.
I mean zombies are a joke. Iron armor is way too powerfull for its cost. So on.

Giving limitations is BS because thats just ignoring problems.
I mean i change ALOT of configs. Thats why i nearly never play on public servers, instead of play with my buddy.
So yeah. Nothing more.

I see no difficulty in building stuff, yes its difficult, but not on the way of risk-reward. Its the way of How creative can i be in this thing?

(Also saying no offense is basicly useless in 99% of post because no people see offence in that post of you. :3)

Edited this crap: Big typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

I mean i change ALOT of configs. Thats why i nearly never play on public servers, instead of play with my buddy.
So yeah. Nothing more.

I see no difficulty in building stuff, yes its difficult, but not on the way of risk-reward. Its the way of How creative can i be in this thing?

(Also saying no offense is basicly useless in 99% of post because no people see offence in that post of you. :3)

If you want a challenge play a pack dedicated to challenge. Like Ultra hard core 2 or the Madpack. Both will truly live up to there names. You can find them on the AT launcher.

Edit: Zombs and iron armor are vinilla minecraft. Complaining that you don't get a challenge from that in a modpack forum is kinda stupid. You want more challenge in these packs there's always Twilight forest bosses and the deep dark. Both will give you plenty of death if you are only in iron armor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zexks

trajing

Jul 29, 2019

So yeah. Nothing more.

Not everyone agrees with you. I really don't like mobs, etc. etc.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not everyone agrees with you. I really don't like mobs, etc. etc.
Agreed. You are of course entitled to play it whatever way you like, and this is why configs exist beyond simple ID fixes. However, there is a difference between that and arguing for a pack to be designed a certain way. Much like the "disabled by default" argument, to say as much implies that that is way it should be for everyone.

Reactions: trajing

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

So even the base game is too easy. That sorta implies it's not really a game that will likely ever cater to your desires on it's own which is probably why you turned to mods. I can understand that but many mods won't have settings that can cater to that level and most packs likely won't cater to that style by default as well.

So yeah. Nothing more.

It's not a problem to be ignored which is the whole point. At least not a problem for the whole of players. If you do wish to play on servers self-limitation is the solution to the problem because the problem no longer exists when you do that. If you compare yourself to others, while limiting yourself, that don't limit themselves you set yourself up for ruin. If you do want everyone on an equal playing field then you should do as you already do.

Which is basically the original premise of MC. There was a time before survival even existed.

Still I want you to know I have no ill intent toward you.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So even the base game is too easy. That sorta implies it's not really a game that will likely ever cater to your desires on it's own which is probably why you turned to mods. I can understand that but many mods won't have settings that can cater to that level and most packs likely won't cater to that style by default as well.
This is the point I often make as well. If you are modifying vanilla to fit your balance tastes, fine, but you have little right to complain about mod balance, and instead are probably better off playing UHCX or something, one of those servers people brag "I survived 45 minutes before dying!".

Reactions: PierceSG and Eyamaz

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019

Also, make compressed coble with them if needed, then you can turn it back into normal coble :p just another way to deal with it :p

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
If you do not like the cobble, why not just smelt them into smooth stone and make bricks or other designs?
Because they can't be micro blocked so that means any floor/ceiling/wall made out of them can't have any hidden wiring. For me that is a serious draw back. I still keep them and use them when I don't need any wires or pipes around, but in modded mc (a custom pack of 240 mods) those are rare occasions. That and so far as I've seen there aren't any style variants from them, stairs/slabs etc.. So you're choices when working with them are full cobble or full smooth block and that's it. Don't get me wrong they make for decent roads and i like having choices, but their limited/lack of utility limits their usage.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Because they can't be micro blocked so that means any floor/ceiling/wall made out of them can't have any hidden wiring. For me that is a serious draw back. I still keep them and use them when I don't need any wires or pipes around, but in modded mc (a custom pack of 240 mods) those are rare occasions. That and so far as I've seen there aren't any style variants from them, stairs/slabs etc.. So you're choices when working with them are full cobble or full smooth block and that's it. Don't get me wrong they make for decent roads and i like having choices, but their limited/lack of utility limits their usage.

You're serious? Have you read the Microblocks config?

Reactions: Eyamaz and trajing

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
You're serious? Have you read the Microblocks config?

Yes I have and it's failed for both project red and forge micro blocks. Went to his forum post to see if anyone else had been able to and he had a post about how he wasn't going to add support for it.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I have and it's failed for both project red and forge micro blocks. Went to his forum post to see if anyone else had been able to and he had a post about how he wasn't going to add support for it.
This shows you haven't. There are no PR microblocks, only the ones from Forge Microblocks. Also, there's a part of the config where you can add blocks to the microblock list.

Status
Not open for further replies.