Monitoring player locations

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Badjr

Jul 29, 2019
They work if loaded and within range, so don't worry about it not finding them if they are within range. Now, as for powering them, that's even easier, as previously stated, using a Light Nexus gets power for jack all, and the Dark Nexus is a mob grinder. Keep in mind the dark nexus has a bunch of... odd effects. It's usually nothing major, but still, be careful with them if they are getting full.

As for actually getting the power there, essence conduits, linked correctly, can power your whole island from one central location, assuming no chunks unload. Not as ideal as mana batteries, but they aren't that great unless you need a way to store spare essence, and if you're powering an island with of seer stones, it may be a bit hard to get a essence stockpile anywhere...

Also, as a reminder, if it has a keystone in it, it can be bypassed by(no signal) if someone with a keystone set to the same pattern is in someone's pockets. Great for debugging, bad for actually keeping track of EVERYONE on your island. As an interesting side note, the Rune of Debugging is a valid rune for Keystones...
I was just planning on having hundreds of thousands of nexus, but this way could work too.
On a side note, how laggy do you think my project would be? The island will actually function as a base with AE, ore processing, mob processing, and all of that normal basey goodness going on in separate areas of the island.

This is a very ambitious project - 6000 x 8000 area covered by seers stones is.. Let see:
Seers stones = 7x7 to 8x8 area (49 to 64; 56.5 avg)
6000 x 8000 island = approx 48 million
48 million / 56.5 = 849,557.5 seer's stones.

So yeah.

I tested with an Open Peripheral sensor and got around a ten block range (not sure if it changes based on conditions) which is a little better than seer stone w/ lesser focus, and can pick up a LOT more info (inventory items, names, mobs...) but also takes more setup (network cables, computers, etc)

I think the easiest way would be to have a server admin install DynMap and try to find/create a CC program that can access DynMap and convert it into a map for a CC monitor.

The 6k x 8k are really rough estimates and could very well get cut in half. As i'm already getting tired of going from one end to the other with it only being 3k across. Either way I do have the resources for it, I would just like to go overkill on the island i'll be making my new base on. I'm also going to outline every 4 chunks or so with extended drawbridges so I can quarantine a sector, that'll also be CC controlled using the advanced monitor's click reading functionality.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I was just planning on having hundreds of thousands of nexus, but this way could work too.
On a side note, how laggy do you think my project would be? The island will actually function as a base with AE, ore processing, mob processing, and all of that normal basey goodness going on in separate areas of the island.

The 6k x 8k are really rough estimates and could very well get cut in half. As i'm already getting tired of going from one end to the other with it only being 3k across. Either way I do have the resources for it, I would just like to go overkill on the island i'll be making my new base on. I'm also going to outline every 4 chunks or so with extended drawbridges so I can quarantine a sector, that'll also be CC controlled using the advanced monitor's click reading functionality.
A ton of Nexi would be more laggy IMO. Well, if you mean one per seer's stone.

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
If your set on useing nexus for each stone be aware that the light nexus needs access to the sky to work. If theres a non transparent block above the center tile it will stop chargeing. you can still burry them but you'll need a shaft to the surface centered on top of it. I know you can cover the whole with glass if you want, you might be able to get away with other blocks that let light through them, try upside down stairs or microblocks when testing.

Also ongoing power may not be needed. I was just toying around with one and while it needed a charge to funtion at all once charged it did not seem to consume any of the charge no mater how long I stood by it or how often I moved in and out of range. you may be able to just charge up a couple batteries to prime the things and then leave them to do their work.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
If your set on useing nexus for each stone be aware that the light nexus needs access to the sky to work. If theres a non transparent block above the center tile it will stop chargeing. you can still burry them but you'll need a shaft to the surface centered on top of it. I know you can cover the whole with glass if you want, you might be able to get away with other blocks that let light through them, try upside down stairs or microblocks when testing.

Also ongoing power may not be needed. I was just toying around with one and while it needed a charge to funtion at all once charged it did not seem to consume any of the charge no mater how long I stood by it or how often I moved in and out of range. you may be able to just charge up a couple batteries to prime the things and then leave them to do their work.
Light Nexus do not actually require a open sky view, last I tested. They absorb ambient mana from the world, they aren't solar powered. They do have limits on when they work, but no limits on where they work. Glass caps, gold caps, and diamond caps all only work during the day, but Moonstone Caps only work at night. A clever Thaumaturge can find a way to make a Light Nexus work all day and night, mind you...

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
Light Nexus do not actually require a open sky view, last I tested. They absorb ambient mana from the world, they aren't solar powered. They do have limits on when they work, but no limits on where they work. Glass caps, gold caps, and diamond caps all only work during the day, but Moonstone Caps only work at night. A clever Thaumaturge can find a way to make a Light Nexus work all day and night, mind you...

Last time I'd tested it a couple weeks ago was on 1.09 or horizons pack. Guy roofed over his light nexus and it stopped charging. poped out the center block above it and it started right back up. However just retested on the new direwolf and it seems your right. built one underground and its chargeing. Not sure what changed in the interum and I'm sure it wasnt night on the one that stoped working (we had a daylight spell riged up to a caster to keep it day)

Badjr

Jul 29, 2019

You seem to be right, I put 10 essence into one and left it sitting there near my mob farm searching for mobs and it never used any of the essence. I guess it just needs some stored in it.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a series of computer craft computers directly connected to a few wireless redstone transmitters, you might have an easier time. Set the computer to have a startup program that emits a redstone pulse that sends a signal to a number of wireless redstone transmitters that are equivilent to the number of bits required to express the resolution of the area you are trying to scan. This way the computer would pulse every time that chunk was loaded. Might need more coordination from the main server that keeps track of this information.

IE every x chunks have a computer with y transmitters. X is the number of chunks + 1 that a player will load at a time so that at any given time, a player will only be able to load one at a time. Y is the number of binary digits required to express the total number of computers required to cover the area. So if I needed 20 computers to cover a 100 square block area, I would have 5 wireless transmitters to express the 20 computers uniquely. Each channel would represent a different bit; 1,2,4,8,16. Each computer would only pulse on the channels required to say which computer it was.

The short coming is this would not tell you which player it was unless you also had them in range of a player dectector.