Mods that are prone to lag the server?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
Hello.

I'm going to setup a private FTB server on my MC root.
My question is:

If you take the Direwolf20 Pack 1.6.4 as base, which mods in there are known to be very performance hungry and can easily introduce lag?

The machine I'm running has a decent performance. Normally I'm running a 60 slot Bukkit server with about 60 plugins. Usually 20-30 players are online without performance issues.
But FTB is probably not comparable to a bukkit servers performance profile.

And as a bonus question: Which mods are often expoited from players to harm or annoy others?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Not played DW20 but generally speaking in lag terms:

Buildcraft, kinda. Specifically if people spam a lot of pipes with stuff going through it constantly (because entity rendering). Oh and if they do windowlicky things like having many quarries running at once and fill them all with water.

I've heard Crystal chests (from IronChests[?]) cause the same problem by needing your entire inventory to be rendered as entities.

Mystcraft. Let everyone have as many ages set up as they like, I bloody dare you :)

I've heard Rotarycraft can cause lag issues too but i've never used it in SMP so I can't verify that.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
AM2 mob spawning is a little ridiculous and can lag if it isn't watched carefully.

Reactions: RealSketch

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
To answer the bonus question, AM2 and Morph are probably going to be very exploitable. Obviously Morph will allow players to well...morph, and trickery should be expected.
AM2, there will be spells flying everywhere!

Reactions: Shabazza

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft and Rotarycraft are not installed.
AM2 and Morph will be disabled also.

Buildcraft... well, my concern is not low client FPS but server tick-lag.
Spilling buildcraft pipes are surely not desirable.

What about mods that use redstone clocks and stuff? Like ProjectRed?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft and Rotarycraft are not installed.
AM2 and Morph will be disabled also.

Buildcraft... well, my concern is not low client FPS but server tick-lag.
Spilling buildcraft pipes are surely not desirable.

What about mods that use redstone clocks and stuff? Like ProjectRed?
ProjectRed has a memory leak issue IIRC
Also I always disabled QCraft, unsure if it causes lag but no harm in disabling it (unless you really want quantum computers)

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
ProjectRed has a memory leak issue IIRC
Also I always disabled QCraft, unsure if it causes lag but no harm in disabling it (unless you really want quantum computers)
QCraft, blocks changing all the time, and an insane amount of tick differences. Yep, that mod has lag written all over it.

Reactions: Skvapter

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
QCraft, blocks changing all the time, and an insane amount of tick differences. Yep, that mod has lag written all over it.
Just as laggy as a base made of vanilla furnaces
It requires people to look at it a certain way and not be wearing special goggles. You would have to go out of your way to cause insane amounts of lag with that one, plus imagine anti-chamber in minecraft with those...
*drools*

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Well, when I ran Opis on my single player world, Nuclear Control was taking half a millisecond all on its own, and I wasn't even using it.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Wth is a "tick difference"?
I knew that would get asked on...

I kinda made up my own word there, but it is basically the amount of "stuff" happening in one tick.
I have my own way of writing things, it's okay if you don't get them.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Post Edited!

What about MFFS?
I heard it's pretty buggy. Is it "safe" to use on a server?

I've been hearing that very large fields can crash the server, but in the bit of messing around I've done my only problem was that I couldn't transfer energy to the field fast enough. My testing wasn't very in depth though, so you may want to investigate that more before deciding.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
It's not always about mods, but how you use them. I have even seen ThermalExpansion 3.0.0.7 cause powergrid lag of over 7ms per tick. Stuffed itemducts from tesseract i believe was cause of that. Using Extra utilities for item piping, instead of TE sounds like 1 way to combat lag would it not? Because they can't get stressed like that in any circumstance and don't have internal itemtraffic to manage every tick. Opaque or transparent duct matters only for rendering, the traffic is still there even if you hide it.

Second "mod" that caused high lag on server was Minecraft itself :p Mainly the amount of processing comign from farm animals even in low numbers like 20-30 can build up to milliseconds. I wish someone made a mod to simply optimize them, collisions, AI or something...

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
No one mentioned IC2? It's a lag machine. It often makes 50 times more lag than its TE counterpart. (Ex. Redstone furnace v. Electric furnace)
^^This.
My current tree farm drops you down up to 30FPS, and it's mostly the Electric Furnace.