Modpack server requirements

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dae_vos

Jul 29, 2019
How much ram would I approximately need to host a relative lag free server that has 130~ mods and can support at least 5 players?

Thanks for any input.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well the amount of RAM will not influence the amount of "lag" as long as there is enough of it. It will also not reduce the "lag" if you add more after the point of there being enough.

It also varies greatly upon which MC version, which mods, how complex people build and how concious your players are about not doing stupid things that deteriorates the performance. But if we are talking 1.7 then I would think 4GB would be the minimum.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
rhn missed the one major point in hosting a server. Your internet connection.

Download/Upload speeds will make major differences on how the other folks will experience lag.

Dae_vos

Jul 29, 2019
rhn missed the one major point in hosting a server. Your internet connection.

Download/Upload speeds will make major differences on how the other folks will experience lag.

I thought that was the issue with my friends hosting, but when there were 3 people on the server it would lag heaps, but when there were only 2 it seemed to be fine.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I thought that was the issue with my friends hosting, but when there were 3 people on the server it would lag heaps, but when there were only 2 it seemed to be fine.
Either that third person caused your friend to run out of memory or that third person loaded something problematic with his personal loading range(like badly build contraptions, too many mobs trapped in too small an area or an area of very dense and complex tech). That would be my best bet.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Either that third person caused your friend to run out of memory or that third person loaded something problematic with his personal loading range(like badly build contraptions, too many mobs trapped in too small an area or an area of very dense and complex tech). That would be my best bet.

Or the servers upload couldn't handle the 3rd extra set of data it had to send(that's my bet)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
How close are your bases? I find a minimum of ten chunks to be a good measure, so that you'll tend to have very little loading overlap. IE you're not loading their base, and they aren't loading yours.

If the two of you had lots of chunk loaders going, that could be an issue as well.

For RAM, I always prefer Minecraft + 2GB for the OS. So if Minecraft needs 4, you'd want at least 6.

Try starting the server fresh, and having each player ping it, then join in combination, in case it's someone's internet instead of the server.