Modjam 4 Discussion Thread and Reviews

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Modjam 4 has recently ended so this thread is here for the community to discuss the mods (and maps). I am hoping that each and every mod/map that was submitted gets similar attention, so to do that I am aiming for the community to have collectively reviewed each modjam submitted mod/map so that each submission has their own short description and rating.

Also, please realise that the only votes that do count are the ones from the competitors, but the community votes are displayed alongside so its definitely worth voting and supporting.

Helpful Links:
Mods+Download
Maps+Download
Modjam Site
Competitor List
Twitter
IRC (Modjam team and various other community members including the modders hang out here)
Subreddit

HOW TO MAKE THE MODJAM MODS PLAYABLE

MOD/MAP REVIEWS
Here is a google document which contains all the reviews in one easy to read place: Link
MODS
How to make a mod review:

Mod Name:
Mod Author(s):
Mod Description:
Review:
Rating (out of 10):
Screenshots/Videos (Optional):
Example:
Mod Name: Obsidian Tools Plus
Mod Author: ExceptionallyAverageJoe
Mod Description: Adds obsidian tools to the game including obsidian pickaxe, shovel, sword and axe. It also includes a full obsidian armour set, obsidian shears, fishing rods, horse armour, obsidian bricks and obsidan bows/arrows.
Review: This mod has been done before, and is usually the first mod most people learn to make. The toolset and armour set were stronger than diamonds but so much that combat becomes too easy. I still managed to die against the wither with this armour so you still need to bring your potions. I didn't find any bugs and there was no noticeable decrease in FPS. But as I said before, this mod really needed to bring something else to the table to get a good rating
Rating: 4/10
Please keep in mind. That these reviews should only be based on the state of the mod when it was submitted. if the author has added more to the mod afterwards then that should not be considered in the review of the mod.

Also, I will be discussing with the Modjam members on whether I can set up a Modjam modpack with all the configurations set up to get as many mods working together as possible. But given there are around 100 or so mods, it may lag.

MAPS
How to make a map review:

Map Name:
Map Author(s):
Map Description:
Review:
Rating (out of 10):
Screenshots/Videos (Optional):

Again, please base these reviews on the map as it was submitted during modjam.

I will probably not be distributing a map pack but I will include instructions on how to install them once the downloads are released.

Also, this thread is not limited to reviews so you can post other Modjam/related news or discussion, spotlights, updates to modjam mods and the like.

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
hmm ... try to click on a few links.
Too popular -- links disabled.

Odd :).

===

So Immibis is taking on the concept of shaft power.
There's another take on Alchemy/philosopher's stone and transmuting.
At least two (unless I miscounted) "Just toss a lot of ores in and see what happens" mods (didn't someone have a picture of a ravine with no plain stone left in sight a while back?)
Abother two Periodic Table themed mods

There's another artifacts type mod.
There's automation, ore multiplication, inventory compactation, etc.
There's another dimensional pockets mod.

There seems to be a lot of "we've seen this before".

And then ... Pigzilla! Roller-coasters! And what looks like an actual conversion mod, Stratagem.
a Fist Person Real Time Tactics game implemented in the MC engine

What is a "fist person" game?

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
There's another artifacts type mod.
There's automation, ore multiplication, inventory compactation, etc.
There's another dimensional pockets mod.

There seems to be a lot of "we've seen this before".

And then ... Pigzilla! Roller-coasters! And what looks like an actual conversion mod, Stratagem.

What is a "fist person" game?
Mmm there are a few "weve seen them before" mods but we have a few that really stand out. Modular chests has allot of handy and interesting additions, I want to try out the biome cave mod, I was having an issue where it got stuck on building world for twenty minutes. Might try it again and see if it was a fluke or something worth reporting...

But in reguards to Statagem, it's basicly aimed at some sorta tower defency style of play, where a player get's to be that dungeon master.. they set the traps and defenses and whatnot....

Starmall has been the one that I've actually gotten use out of and after playing with it, and using it, playing with the configs it seems like a good one to vote for. I had my hopes up for solstice, but the configuration files don't seem to hold anything, and you start off in some of the mild months. So it merely feels like normal minecraft from what I did manage to pick up from it.. I know there plans, but the competitions based on what is actually presented...

For me I'm going to have to give it too either the RPG esque map mod, with it's lovely new mechanics, or starmall for it's highly configurable and versatile use... I can easily think of a large number of uses i'd use this for... might even be a good thing for servers with econemy... But I do hope to see more from the mods that did go bigger than their time allotted.. Solstice has so much promise as a mod for challenge, and downright interaction for the world..

We finally have a reason for storing so many items... I do wonder how armor will come into play...

Reactions: Bevo

Moridin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm personally a fan of Solstice, the RPGmodAdv, and Electromagnetic Coherence. I've recently taken to enjoying a bit more challenge in my worlds, so the idea of Solstice really makes me happy. RPGmodAdv is really good for adventure maps, and Electromagnetic Coherence reminds me of my childhood when I would play with lasers at the local science museum.

For just plain fun, iChun's It Fell From the Sky is always good for a laugh. The man has a serious panache for the ridiculous. I also like the Roller Coaster Mod, if only because of the hours I spent on Roller Coaster Tycoon.

And finally, for utility, I am beyond happy with Harken. I know quite a few people who would love to play games who can't because of disabilities. This just opens up yet another game for them, and I am very happy that some of my friends will be able to play with me in the future.

Reactions: Bevo

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Probably the best one I've seen is the Bad Ores mod, just due to hilarity. It adds all sorts of ores that do the most annoying things possible: teleporting, impossible to pick up, exploding instantly, walking around, tons of useless drops, summon meteors, duplicating, etc.

B

Big Bad

Glad to hear the interest in Solstice : D

Personally, I've got my eyes on Star-Mall, Harken, It Fell From The Sky, Hackery, and Electromagnetic Coherence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Padfoote

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not saying anything bad for solstice.. I just find it hard to judge with what it does, and what is easily seen. I do hope it continues, as what it is meant to do is extremely exciting... And the armor also looks very lovely too. Although if there are commands for the seasons so you can see them firsthand that would be lovely. =o

CascadingDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Can we talk about how awesome the Kitchen mod is? Like.. the model is really nice, and well... Food!
Star-Mall was really really nice. I don't think I've seen a mod do something like this outside of Bukkit plugins. The textures were very nice as well.
Corruption was an interesting idea, but fairly annoying. I think (hope?) it's going to be merged into Player Beacons as the actual corruption.
It Fell From The Sky was nice, but I completely destroyed my FPS with it.

Kihira

Jul 29, 2019
I'm loving reading peoples feedback on Corruption, I have a few plans for it including a partial merge with PB but still also have a standalone side =) I should note in the ModJam version, it's running at 10x speed so you can see the effects

I've gotten through about half of them and so many awesome ones! Pocket Dimensions and Electromagnetic Coherence are some of my favourites so far but there is a lot left me for to look at. This has been an awesome ModJam so far in terms of mods!

Gonna try the maps too, sounds like there is a few good ones there

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Wow just wow. To all the map makers who didn't think to name there maps in game just wow.
It's so much fun to play a custom map named world. :/

And would it have bin to much trouble to test the map in single player mod. Didn't the modjam admin guys even test these?

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Review: Agravated Army World.
Con: Named the World
Spawn is now here near the playable portion of the map.

Conclusion: Built on server never tested on Single Player. Will complete review once I find the map.

Edit: Found map. A chunk/save error is right in the middle of the map and redstone beneath. I won't even try to play this now.
Besides that the map looks beautiful.

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Review: Cramped: A claustrophobic puzzle.
Pros: Very impressive concept and execution.
Cons: A little hard to wrap my head around at first and some excessive partials on one stage was a bit annoying.
(Bug) I got stuck on the start platform.
Conclusion: And having to die to get to the level made me think that it might have bin bugged. But still very fun. I'd definitely playing it again. Now that I know the solutions. :D

Review: Mercys Revenge
Cons: There doesn't seem to be a map here. I don't mean you spawn no where near the play ground I mean there is no level.dat. :(

Looks like the batch download might be bugged. It seems to exist in the individual downloads.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen some very awesome looking mods in the list, though also some very crappy ones, but let's not talk about those...
it's pretty cool to see mods that are entered in Modjam getting better and better with each Modjam

I've got my eyes on a few mods, but I'm waiting to give the developers some more time to finish up their mods, as I often read that developers still had some features left to add but Modjam had already ended

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
I wish i had time to finish my entry for Modjam to any satysfying degree.

If you guys make it work it would be so great for flavor/RP servers.

I'll personally vote for:
Modular Chests
Electromagnetic Coherence
RPGModAdv
Elemental Caves
and Fancy Clocks beacuase it looks like something pulled out of Bibliocraft.

Now only to try out all those maps...

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019

Personally, I've got my eyes on Star-Mall, Harken, It Fell From The Sky, Hackery, and Electromagnetic Coherence.
I like solstice, but pahimar made one of the rookie mistakes in minecraft modding! He didn't include his name/modname in the tile names. for example the name for the fireplace is tile.fireplace where it should be something like tile.solstice.fireplace or something like that. Why? well it caused a conflict with Hardcore Nomad who also added a fireplace and called it tile.fireplace xD. Apart from that, its a wonderful mod!

I will be reviewing these mods in a bit more depth over the weekend guys and should give you enough time to make a proper decision that isnt based off hype by certain people. [Two Cents] For example, as much as I am sure it was very hard to make It Fell From the Sky. I will be saddened to see it win any of the categories. Nothing against the mod itself, but that is a vote because the author is cool and not for the mod. If you really look at the mod it doesnt add anything terribly appealing for use in game play with the exception of compressed pork block and it destroys worlds.[/Two Cents]

Reactions: belgabor