Moderators: They make you lose count(Longest thread still alive!)

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything

(it irks me to no end when people say that 42 is "the meaning of life". I read the whole series of books; nowhere did it say anything other than the above, and it even said that the question and the answer cannot both be known in the same universe without it imploding or something. Furthermore, part (but not all) of the question was even given in one of the books: "What do you get when you multiply six by nine...")

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
43 wouldn't that be 54?
"What do you get if you multiply six by nine" (it was if, not when; I misremembered) isn't the whole question, though. The protagonist was pulling letters out of a bag in order to extract the Ultimate Question from his brain, and after "whatdoyougetifyoumultiplysixbynine", he ran out of letters. So since 6 * 9 clearly doesn't equal 42 (not in base 10, at least), and since the universe didn't implode or anything, as was clearly asserted multiple times would happen if the Question and the Answer were both known at the same time in the same universe, I can only assume that there was more to the Question. Probably some more basic arithmetic, "in base 13", or something much more deep and profound.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
[QOUTE="Someone Else 37, post: 1562257, member: 30638"]49 Not as badly as RealKC apparently needs to read them the first time.[/QUOTE]
55 I would look for them... if I knew their name!