Modding Win10 Edition

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
I read the same story somewhere. All these things said, why doesn't one of the community's exceptionally talented mod authors rewrite minecraft in a language or way that fixes these problems? I mean, I get that it takes time, money and resources... but some of the devs are incredibly talented when you think of what they have done for the minecraft community. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to create a cult following like minecraft has.
Rewrite minecraft... Just look how many clones of minecraft there are and compare their popularity with the original game. No modder in a right mind will attempt to rewrite minecraft... Unless paid appropriately and permitted by license. There is one mod - Better than Wolves - whose author made it it as a total minecraft conversion, making it incompatible with most other mods. Yes, such task is not feasible for us (and wouldn't be permitted by microsoft).

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Rewrite minecraft... Just look how many clones of minecraft there are and compare their popularity with the original game. No modder in a right mind will attempt to rewrite minecraft... Unless paid appropriately and permitted by license. There is one mod - Better than Wolves - whose author made it it as a total minecraft conversion, making it incompatible with most other mods. Yes, such task is not feasible for us (and wouldn't be permitted by microsoft).

I guess I did say rewrite minecraft, but I meant create a better game like minecraft. Yes, there are a ton of minecraft clones but none of them that are even half as good as minecraft. Right off the bat, none that I know about are open source moddable, which means it isn't that good imo.

Don't get me wrong, I love minecraft. Been playing it ~5 years and still going strong. I just feel like if one of the talented mod authors like the people who wrote Tinkers Construct, or EnderIO, or Draconic Evolution, made a "better" game, they wouldn't have any issues getting followers.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I don't think it's nearly as easy as it sounds in your head. Minecraft's existing player base is Minecraft. Not just blocks you can dig and build stuff with.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-play-Minecraft

It's staggering. And it has a life of its own. You get one of the best modding communities out there because of the popularity. This is not something someone can just make a clone, even a great one, and the community would just jump over. It would just necessarily divide the player base, thus the modding interest.

This is what we're stuck with for a good long while. I think it would take Microsoft literally killing off the Java version to ever prompt any major change like that, and I don't think even Microsoft is that dumb.

Reactions: Reddis

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think it's nearly as easy as it sounds in your head. Minecraft's existing player base is Minecraft. Not just blocks you can dig and build stuff with.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-play-Minecraft

It's staggering. And it has a life of its own. You get one of the best modding communities out there because of the popularity. This is not something someone can just make a clone, even a great one, and the community would just jump over. It would just necessarily divide the player base, thus the modding interest.

This is what we're stuck with for a good long while. I think it would take Microsoft literally killing off the Java version to ever prompt any major change like that, and I don't think even Microsoft is that dumb.

I am most definitely grateful to the mod devs who keep pumping out fantastic mods for one of my favorite games.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I guess I did say rewrite minecraft, but I meant create a better game like minecraft. Yes, there are a ton of minecraft clones but none of them that are even half as good as minecraft. Right off the bat, none that I know about are open source moddable, which means it isn't that good imo.

Don't get me wrong, I love minecraft. Been playing it ~5 years and still going strong. I just feel like if one of the talented mod authors like the people who wrote Tinkers Construct, or EnderIO, or Draconic Evolution, made a "better" game, they wouldn't have any issues getting followers.
On this topic, it might be worth having a look at what Eloraam's been working on - a self-contained Redpower game.

Reactions: Reddis