Modding API: good or bad?

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
We are all looking forward to the modding API that will make things so much easier. But will it really be so great? With this API anyone could make a huge popular mod like botania, with little effort/experience.
This could make things a lot harder for current modders. Also, it won't be much of an acheivment.
You could be like "hey check out this cool mod I made!" but your friend could be "Meh, that's easy. your mod is lame."

so good or bad? I guess we will have to find out.

Just my opinion on things.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
With this API anyone could make a huge popular mod like botania, with little effort/experience.

If Mojang figured out how to code complex software with little effort, they'd have been worthy of some kind of science award and not development of a game about LEGOs.

This won't happen. In fact, I believe some things - like fancy rendering effects or frames - will be much harder on a real, sandboxed modding API.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
Yay for speculations!
Honestly, does any of this matter? we all lose in the end anyways!

Speculation =/= experience. Saying "The modding API will not be like Forge or Bukkit!" is speculation (though that's what Grum told me), saying "It's harder to do fancy graphics effects with a real, sandboxed - so limited, API" is experience.

Reactions: dragon_fang101

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Good thing as long as it remains optional.
Bad, bad times ahead if it becomes mandatory.

Simply because an API which can cover every possible hook and function needed by the current modding community would be a bloated and unusable mess (and most likely impossible to create).
Likewise something lighter and functional will not be-able to cater to the needs of all the devs currently out there.
(remember we have mods like Tall Worlds or M.I.T.E. ect... which redesign massive parts of the game).

My prediction; accessibility- nothing more than a series of .JSONS that'll define custom blocks, crafting and worldgen. [essentially Custom Items, CoFH and MineTweaker rolled into one].
"Modding" without learning to code. (and a "modded" server that'll automatically sync to the vanilla client)

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
My best reaction to the modding API is still a shrug, I guess.

For the longest time now I've assumed that it'll basically be command block scripts in a resource pack, with the ability to actually add content. But in recent months I've started wondering if there might actually end up being a Java-based API, either separate from the resource pack thing, or it be the actual plugin API itself, allowing proper modification of the server (and only the server). They're never going to have their users run third-party Java code on their machines like mods do now, but running it on servers is essentially zero liability for them.

I just don't think the Minecraft code would be changing the way it is if they weren't working towards a fool-proof way for people to develop against it. I wouldn't be surprised if they're already working with groups like Hypixel to determine what a company like them needs out of a server-side API.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
They're never going to have their users run third-party Java code on their machines like mods do now, but running it on servers is essentially zero liability for them.

unless they delve into the security manager stuff and try to prevent mods from doing evil stuff (which is hard to do)