Modded Minecraft from a hardware standpoint, shaders/TP edition!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, it's Wagon again, here to tell you more about what you can run(and possibly common sense?). This time, I'm looking at shaders and texture packs. I will continue editing this post as I collect info from other members of the forums and their experiences with different hardware setups, texture packs, and shader packs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($108.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($219.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 700W ATX Power Supply ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Other: Prudent Way Micro-ATX case
Total: $677.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-01 20:29 EDT-0400

Graphics: Fancy
Clouds: On
Mipmap: 4
Anisotroptric Filtering: Off
Vsync: Off
Particles: All
Brightness: Bright
Max Framerate: Unlimited
Render distance: 6
GPU Memory Clock: 1250mhz
GPU Core Clock: 933mhz

NU97bEb.jpg

Using Chroma Hills 128x128 texture pack with Karyonix's GLSL shaders. Shaderpack is SEUS Ultra.

On regular vanilla MC, no texture pack or shaders, I get an average of 300 FPS looking at the scene of the imgur screenshot above. Throw in the texture pack, no FPS change surprisingly. I am guessing the texture pack is mainly vram limited(the texture pack I'm using uses a max of 700mb of VRAM.). Once I manage to get MSI Afterburner to behave, I will attempt to see whether my average FPS changes if I underclock my memory. Anyways, once I throw on the shaders, things change massively. I drop down to an average of 48-50 FPS.

MC with no shaders and texture pack:
FPS: 300
GPU usage: 77-80%(don't forget, unlocked FPS cap. With framerate limited to 60, I drop to 10% usage).
GPU VRAM usage: 450mb

MC with texture pack no shaders:
FPS: 300
GPU usage: 77-80%
GPU VRAM usage: 700mb

MC with texture pack and shaders
FPS: 48
GPU usage: 80-85%
GPU VRAM usage: 725mb.

MC with texture pack and shaders, with hearty core overclock
FPS: 56-58
GPU usage: 88%
GPU Vram usage: 725mb
Core clock: 1200mhz

I can also provide results within a modded and developed(end game) world.

So what I can gather from this is that texture packs load most of their content on to VRAM. In addition, they do not affect the FPS in any noticeable way, if you have enough VRAM. I imagine there would be immense FPS drops if I was doing this with a smaller video card(512mb) or integrated graphics. This is all things I knew from the get go. What I do not know is how the same shader pack would perform on a equal Nvidia card(GTX 960). If this shader pack is tessellation heavy, I imagine the 960 would have a 10 FPS lead(Maxwell cards have much better tessellation then my Tahiti GPU). Another thing of note is that CPU usage did not change with either the shaders or the texture pack. These are both purely GPU bound mods(is a texture pack a mod?).

Discussion is welcome, encouraged even! Feel free to criticize my testing methods. I tried to make it as equal as possible.

Edit: Fixed imgur link. Added performance with gpu overclocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote