Mod Release: CCLights2

ds84182

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, everyone, I'm ds84182, the developer of CCLights2, a Minecraft mod that adds a GPU as an addon for the ComputerCraft mod. CCLights2 allows you to show graphics to various displays, currently I only have 3 displays, a Monitor (uses a Gui), a Big Monitor (doesn't use a Gui), and the tablet (uses both a Gui and an outside display).
CCLights2 comes with an easy to use API to draw to the screen, and soon will come with the ability to load PNG images from a computer and the web and display them to the screen.
You can read more about it at it's forum thread at the ComputerCraft forums:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/10216-

Also, here is a crappily recorded (I have terrible internet) video showing off some of it's features:

And here's an imgur album that will get updated with more images soon: http://imgur.com/a/aqoxk

CCLights2 lets you create graphics in ComputerCraft, something that was not possible before. Throw away that terminal, and indulge yourself in pixely goodness. Try CCLights2 today.

Technical Info: (TL;DR, blah blah blah I am not responsible for flashing lights!)
  • The CCLights2 GPU does not use anything like OpenGL. It uses a custom graphics API by me that only modifies pixels.
  • You do not need to tell the GPU when you want to draw graphics, just draw them! The GPU lets you draw anything at anytime, to any texture you want.
  • Bit depths are supported, you can do 1, 2, and 4 bpp graphics in the mod.
  • Textures can be drawn to. Yes, any texture can become your framebuffer, no special initialization needed to draw to a texture.
  • When you do an operation, you know it is finished when it returns. That means that you don't need to create special synchronization functions just to save a screenshot of a texture.
  • The CCLights2 render pipeline: Call from computer > Do render > Put render info on stack > Undump stack and send to players
  • All rendering is done on both the server and the client.
  • Texture drawing can be a bit buggy. Use with caution.
  • There is no global way to set colors. I'm sorry.
  • I'd hate to have to say this, although it hasn't happened yet but, CCLights2 can produce strobelights in both single and multiplayer. I will not be held accountable for anything that happens to you with this mod, but the one who created the program to harm you in any way is. Just like in the real world, a company can offer you a tv, but if a television program comes on that gives you a seizure, blame the company who made the television program, not the company who made the tv.
  • You need to make your programs sleep after rendering. This does not bypass any CC restrictions
  • Rendering seems slow or you are able to see individual things be rendered? Render it to a texture, then present the texture to the screen (This is how most to all games work!)
Other than that wall of text, CCLights2 can help you with lots of things!

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
We are getting closer to Minecraft within Minecraft.

I see some fantastic things coming out of this. Perhaps you could make a monitor able to be placed in the world that would show the graphics without forcing the player to open a GUI?

ds84182

Jul 29, 2019
The Big Monitors already allow this, they can provide a resolution from 32x32 to 512x288

ds84182

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to release CCLights2 v0.4.1 beta in a few hours. It includes the new PNG import and export system and text drawing.

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
I can see a lot of potential from this mod. Perhaps if you're clever at programming, you can use the tablet to design entire programs to then wirelessly share to any other computer in your base to make them perform the kinds of tasks you want. Or you can use the tablet to monitor every program running on every computer available in your base. For example, you can monitor the progress of your computer-driven bee breeding program while it's still running in the computer it was programmed to and if you want, edit the program on the fly from the tablet without having to dig up the floor and access the standalone computer to work on it.