Mod Ideas

Rottnsox

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I recently have been looking into modding and I wanna create a mod. Ive had some great ideas and well I wanna start simple and make it more advanced. One route i wanna take diffrent then others is instead of focusing heavily on one area i wanna improve the gameplay of all of minecraft (New blocks, improved AI, new mobs, better dungeons, new ores...etc). To help me get started Id love to hear a few game ideas you wanna see in minecraft.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
So I had an idea, I posted it here one (very basic idea) and over at the Minecraft forums.

So to build one of the advanced machines from FTB, it usually requires a great deal of resources and other crafted items. So you're constantly having to go into NEI and look up recipes to the basic components, then relookup recipes for the more advanced components, you have to run around and collect the resources, and you're constantly having to look up ingrediants, then look in a chest, then look up recipes, back and for, back and forth ad nauseum.

So my idea would be something that works alongside NEI. I look up a machine, and click a button or keystroke or something and have a generated ingrediant list, that not only holds the resources required for the specific item I clicked, but any crafted resources that specific machine required. And it'd be a checklist I can open at any time or even keep open the whole time while I maove around from chest to chest to collect the resources. And as I collect a specific resource, it'd get checked off the list.

So take the Mass Fabricator from IndustrialCraft. If you look it up on the wiki () you'll see it gives you a list of the actual raw resources you'll need to build this. Not just the individual components for the fabricator itself, but also the resources to make the components needed for the fabricator. As well as instructions to produce them all, and the resultant fabricator. Get this for ALL recipes in the FTB modpack, and provide a GUI that'll let me open it whenever I want to look at it to see the ingrediant list and step by step instructions, that also works as a checklist for when I accomplish a given step, or collect a resource.

In it's most basic term, and actual and usable recipe book in the game itself. Some way more usable than looking up a single recipe in NEI.

Rottnsox

Jul 29, 2019
Alright i see what your saying. I think the mass fabricators coming out on xycraft some similar solution to this.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
But it's not just the mass fabricator, it's any nested complex recipe. It's about usability in collecting resources for any recipe that is nested in structure, and being able to see all those ingrediants and/or recipes without having to search and re-search for it through NEI.

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
But it's not just the mass fabricator, it's any nested complex recipe. It's about usability in collecting resources for any recipe that is nested in structure, and being able to see all those ingrediants and/or recipes without having to search and re-search for it through NEI.
It Sounds like a good idea, but there's some inherent problems in it (which I'm sure could be solved by some even more creative coding that what would be necessary to do it in the first place, but still)

For example: What's the recipe for an IC2 wrench? 7 bronze. what's the recipe for 7 bronze? well, you need 6 copper and 2 tin if you use forestry-bronze, and you need 12 copper and 4 tin, plus a macerator and furnace, if you use IC2 copper. which one takes precedence? Normally, we'd choose forestry copper, as it requires the least work. but the program would need a way of deciding that. If GT is installed, that recipe doesn't exist, so it would be invalid and need to adapt to the fact that its list is no longer valid for the available intermediary steps.

NooBxGockeL

Jul 29, 2019
It Sounds like a good idea, but there's some inherent problems in it (which I'm sure could be solved by some even more creative coding that what would be necessary to do it in the first place, but still)

For example: What's the recipe for an IC2 wrench? 7 bronze. what's the recipe for 7 bronze? well, you need 6 copper and 2 tin if you use forestry-bronze, and you need 12 copper and 4 tin, plus a macerator and furnace, if you use IC2 copper. which one takes precedence? Normally, we'd choose forestry copper, as it requires the least work. but the program would need a way of deciding that. If GT is installed, that recipe doesn't exist, so it would be invalid and need to adapt to the fact that its list is no longer valid for the available intermediary steps.

Well i got the basic engine allready running, atm it just chooses the first recipe it gets from a recipeArray, but there is allready a hook for me to change that.
I plan on doing either a manual user selection of what recipe he wants or a automatic detection of the cheapest.

I'll soon release an alpha version of it, for the more or less vanilla players(the mod needs forge and NEI).
Getting it to work with current FTB will be a pain, but i try.