Mod Feedback on my new mod

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
GKEXEbX.png

Tired of your boring old vanilla furnace? So was I. This mod aims to add a sense of realism to the Minecraft world. How can a little oven melt iron? Make your furnace perform as you see fit. Want some more efficiency? Want some speed? It is up to you. Put simply, there are 1.55x10^25 combinations! (roughly)

Getting Started
This mod is designed to be an early through mid game mod. So simply craft a vanilla furnace, smelt 8 cobblestone with one coal, craft stone bricks, and surround the vanilla furnace with the stone bricks in a craft grid. Now build your furnace. Early on, I recommend using all cobble and slowly upgrading it as you go. Build a 3x3x3 structure with a hollow center and leave the center of one side empty. Insert the Modular Furnace Core into this side and right click. Presto you have your new furnace.

SEzSvg2.png

Modular Furnace Core Crafting Recipe

Building Blocks
  • Cobblestone: Slightly better than a vanilla furnace. A good starting point
  • Redstone Block: Increase speed, but lose efficiency
  • Iron Block: Increase efficiency
  • Diamond Block: Add just one to have a chance of double outputs
  • Emerald Block: Add just one to triple your experience from smelting
  • Crafting Core: Add just one to add the crafting grid into your furnace GUI. Not required
cETJbaz.png

Crafting Core Recipe

uyBIl1b.png

GUI With Crafting Enabled

Features
-Config Options
  • Change Block ID's for using in mod packs
  • Use vanilla textures for blocks (off by default)
-Customized performance
-Can be right clicked on anywhere on the structure
-Can be automated with hoppers or mod items

Source
​My mod is licensed under version 3 of the GNU Lesser General Public License. Basically, you are free to modify and use this code as long as you don't claim it as your own and provide credit to the author. As I was learning to mod, I found open source mods extremely useful so that's why I want to make it available. If you think you can improve upon my code please let me know, I have experience with modding but I know it can be better. My GitHub can be found here.

Downloads
Minecraft Version 1.6.2

Minecraft Version 1.5.2

Bugs
-Flames not going out
-Progress bar not retaining scaling

Changelog
v8
  • Added mcmod.info
  • Fixed automation issues
  • Fixed GUI issues (shift clicking)
  • Reworked efficiency vs speed formula
  • Fixed Emerald blocks
  • Added config for default textures
  • House keeping

Spotlights\Videos
VideoMakerGuy

Donations
I put this here in case anyone wants to. Please don't think I'm asking for money. Just having people say they like my mod makes it all worth it. I am currently in college and finding time to mod is difficult. By donating, you show me that you enjoy what I make and want to help me to make better mods. So if you like, feel free to press the button below. Even if it's a penny it shows you want me to continue, which makes a world of difference.

namae

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think many people on modpacks are ready to switch to 1.6.2. Idea is somewhat admirable but I don't think I would exchange my induction furnace for it. Diamond blocks are too expensive to use them for petty things like double iron/gold output chance at start and in the endgame that wouldn't make much difference.

Reactions: RedBoss

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
For 1.5.2 or 1.6.2/3? I need to know, will be testing in a mod pack I am creating using alternative mods to the normal tech mods :D

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think many people on modpacks are ready to switch to 1.6.2. Idea is somewhat admirable but I don't think I would exchange my induction furnace for it. Diamond blocks are too expensive to use them for petty things like double iron/gold output chance at start and in the endgame that wouldn't make much difference.

I would use something like this in my mod pack, as I said it is using lesser known, alternative mods to do things instead of the big mods like TE, BC, IC2. Instead I am using TiC, RC, SC, EnderIO and other mods.

The point of my pack is survival, Zombie Awareness and Special Mobs place a HUGE part along with Iguana Tweaks for TiC. Thinking of adding a few more mods and this looks like a good fit.

Reactions: Pauljoda

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
I would use something like this in my mod pack, as I said it is using lesser known, alternative mods to do things instead of the big mods like TE, BC, IC2. Instead I am using TiC, RC, SC, EnderIO and other mods.

The point of my pack is survival, Zombie Awareness and Special Mobs place a HUGE part along with Iguana Tweaks for TiC. Thinking of adding a few more mods and this looks like a good fit.

I would love to have my mod in a mod pack. When you have it ready, send me a link and i'll link it in the post

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
If you could somehow add support for the factorization furnace heaters, then I would replace my normal furnaces with these. Currently furnace heaters are somewhat useless for processing ores considering they can't double ore.

Looks like a mod that could expand very easily into mod territory, though, and I'm looking forward to it.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Good job, this is a clever mod! And if it did work with furnace heaters that would be pretty sweet. Alternatively, maybe there could be an MJ module.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
how about the size of the multiblock decides how much storage and modifiers it can hold, so instead of only having a 3x3, you could go smaller or bigger as you wish.
if you'd go bigger you could add more kinds of modifier blocks like the multifarms in forestry, one where you could pump in lava to reduce the fuel cost, another which is pretty much like the hatch where you can input or output items, you might even add an inventory block where your output gets send to

basically bigger furnaces means more space and more modifiers, but is slower. and smaller furnaces have more speed, but have less options for modifiers and don't hold much

and maybe instead of using the actual vanilla blocks as modifiers, maybe you can give them a different texture

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
how about the size of the multiblock decides how much storage and modifiers it can hold, so instead of only having a 3x3, you could go smaller or bigger as you wish.
if you'd go bigger you could add more kinds of modifier blocks like the multifarms in forestry, one where you could pump in lava to reduce the fuel cost, another which is pretty much like the hatch where you can input or output items, you might even add an inventory block where your output gets send to

basically bigger furnaces means more space and more modifiers, but is slower. and smaller furnaces have more speed, but have less options for modifiers and don't hold much

and maybe instead of using the actual vanilla blocks as modifiers, maybe you can give them a different texture

I have toyed with the idea of integrating other mods however those can be upgraded far past what this can do in a fraction of the size. I'm trying to offer an early to mid game furnace you start with early, and slowly upgrade it as you go. I would add those mod blocks however I have to stay true to the theme. This mod is an alternative to tech mods

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Now this mod looks interesting. Once you get them hopper automation problems fixed and balance out the benefits each block gives it will be cool. Maybe after you iron out those bugs you could consider integration with other mods.

Also I"m not sure if it would work but maybe you could add more blocks to stand in for cobble like Smooth stone, colored clay, bricks, netherbricks. They don't have to have new effects but those who are in to the creative side of things will go mad having a 3x3x3 clown furnaces. Plus it's good to have creative options for a stylish furnace.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting but if you want this to be used in conjunction with FTB packs (which I'm assuming since you're posting on the FTB forums) I'd suggest you add blocks that act as power inputs / heaters so you can use BC and IC2 power for them. Aso; being able to automate them is a must. For me personally that means configurable sides like thermal expansion machines. Another issue I have with it is that the ones with redstone / diamond in them just look butt-ugly. Perhaps have the structure take the texture from the most common block? Or perhaps make it configurable.

You do need to consider making this a viable end-game alternative. A TE furnace is one of the things I tend to build right away and now you're also competing with TiC smelteries.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I have toyed with the idea of integrating other mods however those can be upgraded far past what this can do in a fraction of the size. I'm trying to offer an early to mid game furnace you start with early, and slowly upgrade it as you go. I would add those mod blocks however I have to stay true to the theme. This mod is an alternative to tech mods

well, as you posted this on the FTB forums I was thinking you wanted the mod to fit in well with other FTB mods.
but what I was saying was not to use the multifarm blocks of forestry in your mod, but create your own version of them.
and your mod can still be an early to mid game mod, but if you'd take my suggestions into considerations, your mod could also fit in very well with late game

as for the textures of your blocks, sadly I wouldn't use the furnace as I don't like a messy block style, but if the blocks had their own textures that'd go well together, there's a good chance I would use the furnace.

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
Now this mod looks interesting. Once you get them hopper automation problems fixed and balance out the benefits each block gives it will be cool. Maybe after you iron out those bugs you could consider integration with other mods.

Also I"m not sure if it would work but maybe you could add more blocks to stand in for cobble like Smooth stone, colored clay, bricks, netherbricks. They don't have to have new effects but those who are in to the creative side of things will go mad having a 3x3x3 clown furnaces. Plus it's good to have creative options for a stylish furnace.

I actually really like that idea. Perhaps it'll be added soon. As of now, I have fixed the GUI bugs that involve shift clicking (it was a pain) and reworked the math behind how fast vs how much fuel. It's not perfect as if you use all redstone it works as intended, any less than that like one missing and it's not even balanced. The formula isn't as straight forward as it may seem. As for automation that's a though one. I really want it to work however it is an elusive bug. It should work, but that doesn't help anyone[DOUBLEPOST=1379718669][/DOUBLEPOST]I want to thank you guys real quick, great feedback. I really am considering all points. I have some ideas that will make this mod so much better. Please continue with me as I bring this mod to life. I must emphasize it is in very early stages. Basic mechanisms still do not work (emerald blocks) and I have been toying with the idea of releasing it but I bit the bullet and I'm glad I did. I have regained a determination that has in just the past days made the mod much more solid.

Short version: Thanks, you guys have really helped.:)

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019

As of now, the automation bug has been fixed. The new version is the one in the download link. Hopefully it is fixed, I had no problems when i tested it

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Mod blocks with textures. I know it has been said already, but it is a vital thing for mods to have some kind of appearence and not just a vanilla look. The idea is cool, but people will turn their heads a bit when they see how clunkly the furnace looks. Take Forestry's multiblocks for example. Both the alveary and the multifarm have blocks that clearly differ from others, but the textures still run smoothly together making a seemless multiblock. Shoot for this. Better textures and models may not get people to play the mod, but it will certainly get their attention and focus on what the actual functionality of the mod is and will provide better/more feedback.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Pauljoda

Jul 29, 2019
well, as you posted this on the FTB forums I was thinking you wanted the mod to fit in well with other FTB mods.
but what I was saying was not to use the multifarm blocks of forestry in your mod, but create your own version of them.
and your mod can still be an early to mid game mod, but if you'd take my suggestions into considerations, your mod could also fit in very well with late game

as for the textures of your blocks, sadly I wouldn't use the furnace as I don't like a messy block style, but if the blocks had their own textures that'd go well together, there's a good chance I would use the furnace.

How about something like this? It keeps your block stored so it turns back when you break it. I made it a config to use vanilla textures or these. I like seeing what it is made of but this makes it look a little better. I am not very good at textures however so if anyone is feel free to draw up a suggestion.

BM9dp9i.png

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
How about something like this? It keeps your block stored so it turns back when you break it. I made it a config to use vanilla textures or these. I like seeing what it is made of but this makes it look a little better. I am not very good at textures however so if anyone is feel free to draw up a suggestion.

BM9dp9i.png

that's a very good start. remember, the mod doesn't need to be perfect at day 1, you can slowly but surely make the mod better and better

Reactions: dgdas9