Mod Dev Work Space.

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
This is a question mostly for Mod Devs and people familiar with coding and Eclipse.

The last video from Pahimar I watched was his live stream tutorial on YouTube. So I am pretty sure the work space is out dated again. However I am not sure. Does anyone know a place that has a development space already finished on pastebin, or something similar. Or can anyone direct me to a Video/Text/Wiki that can help new get rolling? I know about the Forge Wiki Tutorial, but I would like to have a few to look at to cross reference.

Thanks every one, Zein's Necrology should start to progress to code if this goes well then :)

Love you all,
Zein out

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how anyone else did it, but when I wanted to refresh my workspace, I would save my mod to the side, run the Forge install script, and copy my mod folder back on top of a fresh Forge Eclipse Workspace install. You'll want to be sure you're getting the right workspace for your target MC and target Forge version, which means if you're targeting 1.6.4, that of course won't be the latest MC, Forge, or Eclipe workspace (duh).

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm, well it depends on what setup you want to use.
I personally use Intellij IDEA and forge gradle, which TBH, is literally just downloading forge, extracting it, navigating to it with command promt, typing 'gradlew.bat setupDecompWorkspace idea' then after thats done, opening the forge.ipr file with Intellij :p
But yeah, there and many different ways to do it, i would suggest looking into intellij idea... since its the best! :D

Reactions: Zein Eizoku

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm, well it depends on what setup you want to use.
I personally use Intellij IDEA and forge gradle, which TBH, is literally just downloading forge, extracting it, navigating to it with command promt, typing 'gradlew.bat setupDecompWorkspace idea' then after thats done, opening the forge.ipr file with Intellij :p
But yeah, there and many different ways to do it, i would suggest looking into intellij idea... since its the best! :D

Haha thank you much Pokefenn I will look into it. I was just informed to look into Vswe's summer course as well.

b0h

Jul 29, 2019
Pahimar's setup is more oriented to fast environment update.
Vswe's setup allows you to a fast start, but you'll need to pretty much rebuild the workspace with newer version of mcp and forge.

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
Pahimar's setup is more oriented to fast environment update.
Vswe's setup allows you to a fast start, but you'll need to pretty much rebuild the workspace with newer version of mcp and forge.

I see b0h again thanks for everything :) I will be sure to check it out :-D

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how anyone else did it, but when I wanted to refresh my workspace, I would save my mod to the side, run the Forge install script, and copy my mod folder back on top of a fresh Forge Eclipse Workspace install. You'll want to be sure you're getting the right workspace for your target MC and target Forge version, which means if you're targeting 1.6.4, that of course won't be the latest MC, Forge, or Eclipe workspace (duh).

My thing is I have yet to start my mod. I wanted some advice on getting the work space started, which to me is the largest step. If the foundation of the house is shit, everything else will be shit :) so I want to have a strong foundation.

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
Pahimar's setup is outdated. Do not use it because forge has changed how things work. Forge now uses gradle instead of the MCP scripts. Especially if you are starting, use the new method instead of the old way that has been phased out.

New method setup tutorial:

With the new method you have one installation per mod, but almost everything is cached and automatically shared between installations/mods.

Note: For 1.6.4 grab forge 9.11.1.964 not 9.11.1.965.

Last edited:

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
Pahimar's setup is outdated. Do not use it because forge has changed how things work. Forge now uses gradle instead of the MCP scripts. Especially if you are starting, use the new method instead of the old way that has been phased out.

With the new method you have one installation per mod, but almost everything is cached and automatically shared between installations/mods.

Will do boss, thank you much. I am currently watching Vidar, he is kind of encapsulating ... I feel like I am learning... which is a great feeling :)

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, after installing Forge (which also installs MCP) I simply set the workspace under forge/mcp/eclipse. It isn't good for updating, but it will get you started ASAP. For someone who isn't going to edit too many settings, it's rather optimal.

Reactions: Padfoote

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, after installing Forge (which also installs MCP) I simply set the workspace under forge/mcp/eclipse. It isn't good for updating, but it will get you started ASAP. For someone who isn't going to edit too many settings, it's rather optimal.

See that is just it I am not too sure what I am going to change or not... I know I will be adding world gen (Plants, Trees, Ores, etc) I will be adding some "Items", Weapons, and such. I am also going to be adding a odd assortment of Multi-Block structures. SOOOO... This is why I am hitting towards mod devs. I am going to take VSWE's summer course over the time of this next few weeks after work. I am used to Pahimar's videos so things have changed since then :/

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
Am i the only one who absolutely HATES multi-block structures? o_O

HAHAHAHA I mean I like them for the visual purpose you can get from them. The image I am going for with Zein's Necrology is gothic arcane structures, big fun things.

But from watching Scratchforfun's videos on them, they are a pain to code and take some time to get right.

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
That won't work in 1.7 (or any of the recent forge builds aimed at developers). PLEASE STOP saying that method as an install method. It has been deprecated, even with 1.6.4 development.

Fun fact: The new method actually has stuff setup to package the mod for you.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
That won't work in 1.7 (or any of the recent forge builds aimed at developers). PLEASE STOP saying that method as an install method. It has been deprecated, even with 1.6.4 development.

Fun fact: The new method actually has stuff setup to package the mod for you.
Didn't know there was a difference. I'm not too up to date on this kind of thing.
TheMoreYouKnow.gif

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry I haven't commented on anything busy work morning. I'm welding and cutting steel all day.

I will ask Vswe what I should do, see what his thoughts and suggestions are for his dev space.

Last edited:

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
On advisement from Vswe I am going to stay with MC1.6.4 since it is a more stable environment right now as opposed to MC1.7

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019

I will watch this when I get home from work. Then it will be back to the grind stone on the Summer Courses. Thanks for all your valuable help [USER]portablejim[/USER]

And everyone else thank you, your aid is more than gracious and it makes me happy :) the modding scene had been in flux as of late, but everyone here gives me hope and drives me towards my goal. Cannot wait to share the fun with everyone else :-D

Reactions: Padfoote